What's the Dumbest Thing You Ever Did to a Coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by wxcoin, Jul 5, 2021.

1. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I clicked like because of the post not because I like what you did. The old pencil eraser was a common cleaner back then.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

When I first started collecting back in the late 40's there was very little information on coins and collecting. I'm sure I did a lot of the things that are described here.

4. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

I actually dropped it and it hit the corner of a metal drawer at work.

Being a DC piece, it was always stored in a plastic flip.

Z

wxcoin likes this.
  5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I put just a pinch of sulfur in the oven to tone one of mine, and everyone in the house was hacking and coughing from the SO2...

6. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Tried to save a coin in a safe place. Wherever it is. I hope it’s still safe. 1912s Mercury from passed hubby. He paid for it a little bit at a time in the 70’s

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    wxcoin and Kentucky like this.
  7. Cheech9712

I did the same thing Rodney @wxcoin they were my dads Lincoln’s. My first lesson on not to clean coins. He did thank me for doing a good job. That’s the kind of dad he was. I never did see that collection again. Wish it is in mama’s Stash. Would love to see what I did 60 years ago

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    wxcoin likes this.
  8. Cheech9712

Got a new stove. Baked a cake before I left for a two week vacation and never turned off the stove after I took the cake out.

wxcoin likes this.
  9. Cheech9712

That’s funny. Them crazy kids

wxcoin likes this.
  10. Cheech9712

Come on give us another one. Your crazy. Betting there’s others. Share

wxcoin likes this.
  11. YankeeDime

YankeeDime non-conformant

When I was a kid I would use something sharp to scratch my initials into coins I wanted to keep.

NSP, rte, wxcoin and 2 others like this.
  12. Cheech9712

Will you WILL me the coin part of your brain. Then I’ll have a whole one

13. Cheech9712

You mad man. You and the other sulfur guy @Insider

wxcoin and Kentucky like this.
  14. Cheech9712

Best answer

JimsOkay and wxcoin like this.
  15. Cheech9712

This should of been on the daily thread. Would last for 10+ pages. Nice try Rodney @wxcoin

wxcoin likes this.
  16. Kentucky

Sulfur dioxide (SO2) is interesting, you don't as much smell it as you taste it. When it hits the water in your throat, it forms sulfurous acid and makes you cough...then you taste it...yuck

-jeffB and wxcoin like this.
  17. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

When I was about 8 my grandfather gave me about a dozen dateless Buffaloes. I thought I would try to expose the date with some jewelry cleaner. So, I took them, dipped them in a bowl of said cleaner, took a toothbrush and went to town. Well, turns out submerged hands in jewelry cleaner will blister the skin quite severely. Needless to say, they are still dateless and I still won't collect Buffaloes, for some reason unbeknownst to me.

Randy Abercrombie and wxcoin like this.
  18. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I would but I worry that my older brother is a CT member and he'd find out that his missing Mercury dime ended up on a train track rail.

Cheech9712, rte, micbraun and 2 others like this.
  19. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I just wanted to add that in 1970, 71 or 72, my brother worked after school at a dry cleaners my dad also worked at. He used to go through the cash register change and exchange things like mercury dimes (that is what he was into then). One day he came back with a newly minted Washington quarter that looked unusual (wrong planchet or something else that made it look smaller, or something like that). He didn't seem interested in keeping it so I asked him if I could have it. He wouldn't let me have it. The next day or so there was a Coin World article about the exact same coin error; I wish I could remember the date and article. Long story short, when I asked him about it after school he said that he lent the quarter to a classmate so he could have enough money to buy a hamburger at the lunch cafeteria at our high school. Needless to say, I felt revenge was in order.

20. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

How many beautiful Mercury dimes ended up on the railway tracks…?

wxcoin likes this.
  21. Kentucky

...to be continued?

wxcoin and ZoidMeister like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted