Whats the difference between dye scratches and hairline scratches(visually)?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coinnoobz, Jan 29, 2017.

1. coinnoobz

coinnoobz Member

would this receive a details grading?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Belly Button (scratch).......... devil.gif

You're thinkin' (pushin'?)too hard.

4. coinnoobz

coinnoobz Member

[​IMG]
    i realised i didn't have a reference pic. this is a pic i found on a random website.
    from numista: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this one below is mine.
    [​IMG]copy by coin noobz, on Flickr

i realised that the reference pic has the same exact marks as my own coin...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2017
  5. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Like I said. :)

6. coinnoobz

coinnoobz Member

but will ngc/pcgs know that it is the case? because the original design of the creature does not have those two lines.

7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

The only way that is not a part of the original design - and theoretically the TPG's should know what the original design looks like - is if you have somehow acquired the exact same coin pictured in the image you found. I mean, stranger things have happened, but that'd be a doozy. :)

8. coinnoobz

coinnoobz Member

thank you for that reassurance. actually what i meant by design was the creature itself does not usually have those two lines. but i think during the coin minting process, the mint made an error such that most of those coins have those two curved lines intersecting at the belly.
    i was wondering if the TPG had a reference picture with the error.
    yeah its not likely that 3 coins out of 100000(total mintage) show the same scratches on the exact same places.
    edit: Even NGC's pic for this coin has the exact same scratches.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  9. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

NO!

10. coinnoobz

coinnoobz Member

what grade would you give it based on experience?

11. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

IMO, 67 DCAM. Shot at 68 but not attractive enough for my tastes. Looks like several marks at 12 O'C.

12. coinnoobz

coinnoobz Member

Wow thats good to hear. I always just assumed that something like this would not get higher than a MS 63/64...
    I'm honestly quite relieved. Gonna send it in for grading soon but need to find the time. I'm living in the UK... Is it wise to go for PCGS london? I checked their prices but its really expensive. Even with the $150 NGC membership, NGC still looks cheaper than PCGS. But I'm not sure if people 'look down' on NGC.

I know a lot about card grading.. which is PSA vs BGS. Apparently those with the PSA slab are valued more highly.
    Is it the same situation with PCGS vs NGC?

13. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Yes, at this time anyway, PCGS is the preferred TPGS, over NGC, at least for the high dollar coins. I think you should go with whatever you feel is best for you, with your coin. I also would add ANACS to the mix. They are usually the least expensive of the TPGS. I also agree with a previous post, collect what you like, don't worry about what others may think about it. JMHO.

14. coinnoobz

coinnoobz Member

For the UK/people living outside the US, what would you recommend? I like the ANACS prices, but is it convenient for non US residents?
    NGC seems good in a sense they have a 'base' in munich willing to help with shipments.

15. Johndoe2000$

That, ( NGC ) is probably your best option then.

16. coinnoobz

coinnoobz Member

But ANACS looks attractive as it's literally half the cost. Is there any easy way to send it to ANACS?
    For mine, i have 5 coins, which comes up to about $150($20 per coin and $15 handling fee and $30 member fee)

17. Johndoe2000$

ANACS runs special deals on a regular basis. Check out their website for all of your questions about submitting your coins, also has phone number if unsure about something. Generally, submitting 5 or more coins gets you a better price also.

18. Dennis Misiak

Dennis Misiak Member

Die polished coins, i.e. raised lines, would not receive a "details" grade. However, polishing, i.e. cleaning, etc. (incuse lines) would receive a details grade. It would be noted on the holder as cleaned, harshly cleaned, whizzed, etc.

19. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Not part of the original design. Arrows show end points of two scratches.
    poke.jpg

Insider likes this.
  20. coinnoobz

coinnoobz Member

-deleted-

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  21. coinnoobz

coinnoobz Member

-deleted-

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted