Whats the difference between dye scratches and hairline scratches(visually)?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coinnoobz, Jan 29, 2017.

1. coinnoobz

coinnoobz Member

I cant seem to tell the difference. If it is a dye scratch, would it be given a details grade?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Die, not dye. :)

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

They can look similar, but die scratches are raised on the coin, hairlines are scratches on the coin itself. If you can't see them well enough to determine if they are raised or incused, look at areas where the field meets lettering and other raised elements, hairlines will usually pass over them, or have a halo effect around them, while die scratches usually run right up to them but disappear underneath them.

Paul M. and Insider like this.
  5. coinnoobz

coinnoobz Member

Can hairline scratches from cleaning be 'curved'

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Yes, they can be curved, If someone cleaned a large coin with a q-tip using circular motion, they can be ovals.

7. coinnoobz

coinnoobz Member

i see. can there be any natural source of hairline scratches? If there are things like die scratches or flowlines, will that be considered as a candidate for a details grade?

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Sure they can. Most hairlines are circular in motion

9. coinnoobz

coinnoobz Member

i see. can there be any natural source of hairline scratches? If there are things like die scratches or flowlines, will that be considered as a candidate for a details grade?
    want to send a coin for grading. really worried about details grade.

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Flow lines are a totally different animal........and most beautiful to behold. :)

Paul M. likes this.
  11. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

"Hairline scratches" are something which happens to the coin after it's minted. Any lines appearing on the die itself, and then struck into the coin, are a different thing entirely and have different descriptive terms, like the ones you've used.

Your best bet is to post images of the coin in question; we might be able to offer more specific help then.

12. coinnoobz

coinnoobz Member

ok...... im a quite embarrassed regarding the coin in question. but here...

[​IMG][​IMG]20170129_185743 by , on Flickr
    [​IMG]20170129_185744 by

[​IMG]20170128_232120 by , on Flickr

13. SuperDave

2001 Niue Proof Dollar?

Doesn't look to me as if it's been mishandled.

14. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Scratches occur in degrees of severity. BTW, the scratches on the dino's belly are too large to be called hairlines. Your coin has been slightly mishandled somewhere along the way. Generally, hairlines are extremely thin and hard to see unless they occur in a patch or result from improper cleaning or mishandling.

Scratches into a coin can happen in only several ways:

1. They can be on the original planchet and not struck out. Usually, this type is more severe than hairlines; yet they can get close to microscopic.

2. Scratches in the hub used to make a die can transfer as recessed lines on the coin. If tiny enough they can resemble hairlines.

3. Scratches or hairlines into the coin after it was struck. That's what is on your piece.

Also, note the discoloration when the coin is tipped in the last image. This is either stains or more likely small patches of friction from the mishandling. Hopefully they are just scrapes into the plastic capsule.

Paul M. likes this.
  15. coinnoobz

coinnoobz Member

I'm really confused... so is it mishandled?

Yeah the 'discoloration' is the capsule.
    The last image is with the capsule on.
    @SuperDave yup. thats the one. it's not the cup of tea for most 'serious' coin collectors...

16. SuperDave

No, I think it hasn't been mishandled. Proofs show such treatment far more clearly than Business Strike coins, and it would have shown plainly in your images.

These are out of scope for me - is there added value in the market for them, being slabbed?

17. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

collect what you like. If that's what you like, have at it.

18. coinnoobz

coinnoobz Member

Thank you for your help!!!:)

19. coinnoobz

coinnoobz Member

I'm not sure what showing on everybody elses screen, but I've tried to make the coin image as large as i could. The 'scratches/die marks/ i really dk what it is(?)' are basically on the stomach.
    I guess it may give an added sense of assurance if i ever choose to resell them.
    So they aren't scratches(the two marks on the belly)?

20. SuperDave

I think they're part of the design. Check out a few other examples.

Paul M. likes this.
  21. coinnoobz

coinnoobz Member

i've updated the photo to draw a red rings around the marks im referring to
    [​IMG]20170129_185743 by , on Flickr

Draft saved Draft deleted