What's the deal with this 1884-s?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Deplorabledan, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Deplorabledan

Deplorabledan Member

Coin has nice surfaces but I feel like they're might be something off about it. Looks au, No hairlines, but it has this yellow gold tint to it, the whole coin. It looks to have some luster underneath the color so I was thinking maybe a cigarette smoke toned coin? I know it's hard to tell from these pics but let me know what you gies think.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I'm not seeing a whole lot of luster in those pics, and I have to tell you, I don't think it's my eyesight. Furthermore, toning sets in differently on a compromised surface, and that's what I surmise is going on with that color. You need straight-on shots to really assess it and any remaining luster. I'll give it in the range of AU and an even money shot at straight-grading off these pics. BTW, welcome.

4. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

AU55 at best.

5. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

I see what appears to be cleaning, and also like to look at edges - look at this one...many hits. Nice strike, I suspect if not BB'd it gets a 55.

6. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Looks ok 2 me, just a bit circulated w a possibility of light cleaning.....
    I dont think its cigarette smoke toned, ive tried that before and it will put out more colors than this. Also, if u sniff it, u can tell if its been smoke treated:doctor: Will smell like grandpas tobaccy pipe

7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

This is among the rarest of all Morgans in Mint State, and if there's even a chance that someone might be fooled into thinking it Uncirculated by doctoring, one may assume that its been doctored. That would include color added to try to mask the evidence of what was done to it.

furham likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted