What's the deal with counter stamped coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Swervo513, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Barbs

Barbs New Member

Thank you, I should know by now nothing is safe. I will look and see if I can delete it so it doesnt get used for anything bad. Thanks again!

Milesofwho likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Barbs

Barbs New Member

4. DrDarryl

DrDarryl Well-Known Member

Counter stamped as First day of Issue at time 00:59

5. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I got your pictures, Bard. After I have a chance to look at them closely, I'll comment. Thanks for sending them.

Bruce

6. Barbs

Barbs New Member

Thanks Bruce,
    I'm glad I was finally able to get them too u, new cameras are horrible. The coin dealer brought up that the stamps looked a like except for the period but if you are punching out a coin u certainly wouldn't want to try and punch out a period as it would only break before it would punch anything out. so it would make sense to remove the period. like i said i found a lot of information about the islands and coinage used from the early 1800's until the late 1800's when they gave up on making their own coins and used the us coins. Still researching but it is difficult to find anything out there.

Keep in touch all your help is much appreciated!!!

7. BRandM

The styles of the letters are similar, Barb, but there are some major differences. A die-struck token and a counterstamped one are two different things. The dies used to strike the tokens here are crudely cut, while the letters on your coin are nicely executed. Definitely two different makers. As crude as the plantation tokens are, they were likely struck with what we call a "prepared punch" (all devices on a single punch). The "WP" on your coin was applied using individual punches, as evidenced by the slight misalignment of the letters.

The denominations are different too. The tokens show values of 6 1/4, 12 1/2 cents, etc., while your piece would have to be valued at one cent as there's no indication that a higher value was intended. That's a small amount for the time period.

While the time period of both are consistent...1870s, etc. I don't see anything that indicates they were used as plantation tokens. There are thousands of initials-only counterstamps out there, issued for any number of reasons, and yours is probably one of them. I checked as many references as I could, but found very little on these pieces. I did come upon a blog that you might want to check out though. It's called The Hawaiiana Numismatist so you might want to make some inquiries there. Apparently, it deals with all things Hawaiian in coins, tokens, etc.

Let me know if anything comes from it, Barb. I'll keep looking on this end, and will let you know if I come across anything. Good luck!

Bruce

8. Barbs

Barbs New Member

thanks so much for your input. It is crazy trying to find anything or anyone that has any idea of what i am even talking about. There is a reason i was thinking of the HI islands as they stated they needed smaller donomination tokens on the island so that is what made me think they might have ended up using the penny. it said they were paid 12.5 cents a day so i can understand needing smaller coinage. i love the fact that u found the Hiwaiiana Numismatist group as I will be on that asap. did u see a pic of the second coin i sent which was a 1944 penny that had squares chopped out of it and the coin dealer thought it was some kind of counter mark but i totally disagree and fee it is a major reject. i will try to send a pic to you and by one look u will know if it is a counter mark or reject from the mint.

Thanks again for all your valueable information!!!!!

9. BRandM

My pleasure, Barb. Please do send the other picture to me. I haven't seen it yet. Thanks.

Bruce

10. Barbs

Barbs New Member

I sent a little bit ago but for some reason i have lots of problems with pics and this dang phone. i have a friend who is going to look at it today and see what I am doing wrong. I need it to get these pics out there for viewing. Let me know when u do get the Pics and take a look at it. being that it is punched into the front of the coin including the sides makes me think it is a mess up from the mint like it got stuck in the gears or something. i can't imagine anyone using this as a countermark.

If u don't see the pics let me know and i will resend.

Thanks
    Barb

11. Gavensnana

Gavensnana New Member

Always wondered why this was stamped.

Attached Files:

BRandM likes this.
  12. BRandM

Probably just a personal stamp, Gavensnana. It could be advertising a business, but some of the stamp seems to be off the edge of the coin, unless his last name is Vann.

Bruce

13. mpcorey

mpcorey New Member

Trying to figure out the story behind this counterstamp on an 1871 Canadian dime.

Attached Files:

BRandM likes this.
  14. BRandM

That's a nice old stamp. mp. Looks to be an American issue though because of the eagle. Gunsmiths often used federal eagle stamps on their firearms. It wouldn't be unheard of to see an American stamp on a Canadian coin, as Canadian currency was often accepted by merchants in the U.S. near the border. Likewise, for American money circulating in Canada in border areas. When I was a kid, I traveled to Canada many times, and recall seeing American money accepted in trade.

Bruce

mpcorey likes this.
  15. mpcorey

mpcorey New Member

Thanks, I thought that might be the case. The coin came from a collection that belonged to someone who had immigrated from Quebec to New England in the 1920's.

16. Paul V. Turner

Paul V. Turner New Member

I have an 1860 Indian-head penny with the stamp "L. W. Tisdel." I just discovered than an L. W. Tisdel was a rifle-maker in Scranton, PA, around 1860, and that he put this stamp on his rifles. Has anyone out there seen another coin with "L. W. Tisdel" on it? Beside replying on this site, you can reply to my e-mail address: pvturner@stanford.edu. Paul V. Turner

BRandM likes this.
  17. BRandM

There's no record of any Tisdel counterstamped coins that I know of, but yours sounds like it may be the first. You should be able to find an example of Tisdel's stamp on one of his weapons online. If it matches the coin, you've got your confirmation, Paul. If you could post a picture of the coin it would be helpful.

Here's a little information on Tisdel that you may not have seen. I hope the link works.
    http://www.lackawannahistory.org/newsletters/Volume34_No3.pdf

Bruce

18. Lilrose555

Lilrose555 New Member

I have a 1972 error penny but on the back it looks like it could be an Angel where Lincoln is supposed to be sitting. Can you offer any info on it? Please

19. BRandM

I'd like to see a picture when you get a chance.

Bruce

20. Charlotta Garcia

Charlotta Garcia New Member

This is my penny please tell me about it NeonBrush_Jan102020_155338.jpg

Attached Files:

21. BRandM

These coins were stamped outside of the mint as souvenirs, Charlotta. Sets of coins, including one with each state's outline, were put together and marketed that way.

These sets show up on auction sites once in awhile. Individual coins are commonly seen. Though of little value, they're interesting to collect just the same.

Bruce

Draft saved Draft deleted