What's the best way to store my US "junk" silver coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Arvin, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Arvin

Arvin Member

I am relatively new to coin collecting. So right now i'm buying some US "junk" silver coins from Ebay, such as silver washington quarters, silver Kennedy halves, mercury dimes, standing liberty quarters, and etc. Some of my recent purchases are pretty good in condition, some are definitely uncirculated, so now i'm wondering how should i store them properly? When i bought them from Ebay, most of them come in a plastic flip. I don't know if these flips are safe, or if they are PVC free or not.

So what is the best way you think to store these coins? 2x2 cardboard flips? Or PVC free plastic flips? I'm personally leaning towards plastic flips, because i like to see the rims of my coins. Which is better? Also i saw in a recent thread about dust blowers, should i buy one of those to blow the dusts or debris off before i put the coin into flips? Any advice/ opinion is appreciated, thanks.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dough

Dough My brain is open

Welcome @Arvin

2x2 cardboard is fine as long as there's no debris trapped on the coin's surface and you make sure staples from one don't come in contact with the coin in another.
    Truly PVC-free flips are fine, but expensive in comparison. So your coins were likely delivered in flips meant for short term storage.

A hand squeeze type blower will come in handy. Canned air and your breath can lead to corrosive damage you don't see immediately. Same with fingerprints if you don't hold a coin by its edge.

FrugalCO, Arvin and Seattlite86 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted