What's the best Dimes nickel's pennies or quarters or halves.

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by jrh1234, Feb 25, 2013.

1. jrh1234

jrh1234 New Member

Im new to roll hunting. I been searching through rolls of pennies dimes and quarter's. And i heard that halves are the best to find silver in. When i go to my bank to see if they have any rolls of halves and they never do. You would think they would since it's bank of america. So where could i buy rolls of halves. I know the bank can order them but when i ask them they say no we can't order halves. The most luck i had was with the pennies i found 2 1970 S small date's in one roll. But other then that i found 1 silver quarter and a mercury dime.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SilverTracker

SilverTracker Well-Known Member

Very Nice Finds Jrh. It took me 3 different banks before I found one that would agree to buy me a box of halves. Good Luck. John

4. jrh1234

jrh1234 New Member

So you just went to three different branches.

5. indyronnie

indyronnie New Member

6. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

I pretty much just do nickels and they have been good to me. But I recently found free coin counter service at my new credit union, so I will likely be trying dimes and halves soon.

7. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that BofA won't order halves for you. I go to one near where I work at lunch 2 times a week and ask if they have halves. Usually they don't so I end up buying pennies and nickels. They told me last week they could order as many halves as I want. I told them that I didn't have an account with them and they said it wasn't a problem. They are pretty good to me there.

8. Moto450

Moto450 Member

I think it depends on who is working the window at BofA I have 2 accounts there and they really don't want to mess with me so I go to Wells Fargo and the head teller is very happy to help me out. It helps that I run My business Account there too and have a very high balance all the time so they are more then happy to get Me what I want.

9. jrh1234

jrh1234 New Member

I might just go around to a couple diffrent branches tomorow maybe they will have some or maybe order them for me. And what have you guys found so far coin roll hunting.

10. furryfrog02

The oldest I've found is an 1899 Indian head(my avatar). Also found a 1907 IH in the same box. That's after searching close to $1k in cents. I've found 4 2000 WAM's, a couple of cuds, 4 Buffs, a jefferson proof, almost 20 wars. I've only found 2 silver dimes and 2 silver quarters. Nothing special. I picked up 2 90% and 26 40% halves from teller trays.

11. jrh1234

jrh1234 New Member

I went to 2 more branches at boa none of them had any and they said they can't order them. Where else could i buy them at? But i did buy another box of pennies today and i found 9 wheat's out of that box. Which i think i might just keep looking through pennies because i had the best of luck with them.

12. furryfrog02

You're in MD? I've talked to my local TD and the lead teller said she could order them for me if I had an account. Other than that I would say just ask around. I got a random box from a M&T but it had all been searched. I do much better with pennies and nickels anyways.

13. jrh1234

jrh1234 New Member

I never tried dime's before do you have any luck finding any war's in them? Do you have a account with TD or do you just walk in and ask them to order it for you?

14. furryfrog02

They would only order if I had an account. I ended up not getting one because I didn't want to keep the minimum balance in the account to not get hit with fees.

15. jrh1234

jrh1234 New Member

Yea i might just stick with pennies and maybe try some more quarter's and dime's. Maybe some nickel's too! And where to you guys dump your coins. Do you just take them back to the bank and ask for more. I been doing that and they don't really mind. But i just don't wanna get the same rolls back the next time.

16. furryfrog02

Quarters are only good for ATB and state stuff. They absolutely suck for silver. I've only found 2 and I think that was sheer dumb luck.

17. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

:thumb:
    Roosevelt Dimes any 2009-P or D
    Experts say that there the new 1950-D nickel ????
    @mintage # are about the same.but I am Not a expert"!!

18. furryfrog02

96.5 mil 2009p and 49.5 mil 2009d dimes. They aren't as few and far between as the 09 nickels. I've personally found 28 09p dimes but only 1 09d.

19. jrh1234

jrh1234 New Member

i got alot of state quarter's been hoarding for a couple years now. No one seem's to want to buy them from me. But i did get lucky once and found a 2008 gold hawaii state quarter but it was only worth like 2 buck's.

20. furryfrog02

90% of the quarters I go through are state quarters. And a lot of them are in good shape too. The territories and the ATB are a lot less common, with the exception of the Hawaii and Denali. I keep all of those that I come across.

21. jrh1234

jrh1234 New Member

I found a few 2009 p dime's but never a D

Draft saved Draft deleted