What's on my coin?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by talley, Dec 23, 2009.

1. talley

talley Member

I got this 1984 Proof Set the other day. What's going on with the Penny? If I am correct, toning isn't a build up on the surface of the coin, is it? Whatever is on this coin seems to be on the surface. And now that I look closer, it seems to be happening to the Dime as well.

I have two other 1984 Proof sets that are just fine.
    The coins aren't scratched, just the case.

Since I have this proof set in triplicate, would it be a good idea to open this slab and put these coins in 2x2's?

The Reverse looks the same.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm still kind of new with this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Good question. Never seen one look like this, but it looks like corrosion is eating the coin. I personally would break them out. From blowing the slab up it almost looks like moisture got into it. Just my humble opinion.

4. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yeah, you gotta break those puppies outta there and give that Lincoln some relief. Which reminds me, I need some Rolaids. :D

I am thinking that somehow some moisture got on that Lincoln cent and ruined it with corrosion. I can not really tell b/c I don't have it in hand but as far as toning goes it's bad. Yes, toning does cover the coin but not like that.

That's a toning job from hell!! :D

5. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

That thing is toast. Put it into circulation and see if anyone shows up here asking "what is this?"

6. tchummer

tchummer Junior Member

that would be cool.

7. Breakdown

Breakdown Member

I hate to say it but something is going on with the lower half of that Kennedy as well.

8. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

I'm guessing the lens cracked or something and moisture snuck in; it's corroding the coins. The penny got the worst of it... but you can see it affecting the other coins too. I'd write off the cent as a loss and try to save the others... break them out and get them in something that will protect them better.

9. It looks like mold on the bottom left of the cent. Odds are the other coins will show more severe damage in due time.

I would bet it was in a flood at some point.

Sorry, but I think it's a loss on that one. I like the spend idea, to see if somebody came on here to ask about it :)

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

That looks like a proof set that got wet.

11. lackluster

lackluster Junior Member

I have seen this exact same thing on foreign sets I have bought. Would also be interested in what it is or what caused it. Seems to be on proofs only (mainly the copper composition coins.)

Lack

12. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

just what i was thinking except the rest of the coins didnt go so quickly.

13. mralexanderb

mralexanderb Coin Collector

I, too, think it got wet. Very wet, and someone dried it out for sale. Break out the coins and either put them into circulation or keep them sealed up. I wouldn't sell them as they will be problem coins in the future and you shouldn't do that to anyone else, without due warning.

Bruce

Draft saved Draft deleted