What's it worth? What I paid for it...I hope.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by rosethe, Aug 5, 2020.

1. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

Thanks for the insight. In all my years of haggling, it has been the 'rule' never to speak the first price, whether it's a car, a coin or a Turkish rug. What if I didn't have a remote idea what the cents were worth and I said $20. Now, a story not from this dealer but from another dealer, whom we will call Dealer A. I like Dealer A and he is a 'straight shooter.' I was in his shop last week. He told me that a man walked into a pawn shop wanting to sell a complete set of cents (or whatever it was) and the Pawn dealer asked him how much he wanted for it and the man said: $100. The Pawn dealer took the deal and bragged on how he knew this set was worth $4000. Then a coin dealer heard about it, stepped in and said he would give him the $4000 for it. The Pawn dealer was well pleased on the killing he had made. But the coin dealer knew the set was worth $20,000.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yes, that's what I thought and that's why I asked, I vaguely remember when you first came to this forum awhile back. It's terrible that you ran into a coin shop person who treated you like a red headed step child! :D That said, at least he didn't cheat you on the gold Indian, that's the good news! Some coin dealers have no idea how to communicate to women at all. Some have lived sheltered lives as coin nerds and spoke mostly to men all their lives! There's no way I can say for absolute certain why he was so grumpy but I hope you don't take it personally as there are some great coin dealers who know how to treat a customer correctly whether they're a man, a women or whatever. Better luck next time! :D

Mike Davis and rosethe like this.
  4. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

Ironically, I remember my Father storming out of many a coin shop...mumbling something about "he's out of his freakin' mind..." :D

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Yes it's unBelievable what some people will do and you did the right thing. Don't be afraid to go back to that shop at a later date. No one says you have to buy either.

fretboard and rosethe like this.
  6. Mike Davis

Mike Davis Well-Known Member

Some folks that don't know anything about coins don't know how to communicate with women. :)

rosethe likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted