Whats it worth? Flowing Hair Large Chain Cent.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Perfectspy39, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Perfectspy39

Perfectspy39 New Member

I recently acquired a Flowing Hair Chain Cent and was just wondering what everyone's opinions are on this coin?

What would be a rough guess on value?

Sorry for the crappy Iphone pictures in advance, I will try to get better ones when I am able to.

Thanks

Attached Files:

Moekeever likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

PCGS says it is worth around $2700 in PO-01. Yours is damaged, so $2000. Realistically, expect no more than $1000. I personally would pay no more than $500 for it.

Insider likes this.
  4. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

Gosh, there sure is not much left of that poor old thing. Ha, ha! Regardless, your coin is still very rare and amazingly valuable even in that condition. Probably $1,500 whole sale.

5. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

I would say a P-01 with damage like yours would top out at about $1200. Given spirited bidding in the appropriate setting. On eBay, expect to get $800-900. Getting it certified, even as a details coin, would be a reasonable investment - you'd probably sell it more quickly if it was authenticated.

6. Perfectspy39

Perfectspy39 New Member

Thanks for your opinions and thoughts guys, Who should I go through to have it authenticated and graded?

Thanks.

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Looks like a S-3 $700 - $1000 Retail.

8. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

How'd you stumble upon it?

9. Perfectspy39

Perfectspy39 New Member

I bought it from a older lady (early 80's) that had a large collection of US large cents that she said her father had collected over the years

10. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I was thinking S-1, but with very little confidence.

11. jester3681

I think it would be a good idea. I don't think you'll get more for it per se, but you will probably sell it more quickly. It also certifies the authenticity, which allows you to breathe a sigh of relief when selling.

12. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

Try PCGS. They seem to have the most credibility these days.

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Truncation of the bust shoots down in a straight line, no curvature.

14. jester3681

Shoot, I totally missed the "Who" in your question. Yes, I would say PCGS on a chain cent. They seem to dominate the market for this type.

15. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Thanks. I knew you could give me an alternative ID reference to look for. I was trying to "imagine" whether the LI spacing was close or distant.

16. planman2014

planman2014 Active Member

Yeah I say s-3. Looked to see if it was maybe an NC-1 (YOU NEVER KNOW?) but no.

17. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I checked that out too. But the Y is above the eye so that eliminated it. That alone gives hope that even a low grade example can be identified.

planman2014 likes this.
  18. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

There are more and more people who have no clue that the amounts are for problem free coins in the grade. There are VERY FEW problem free coins in copper, so that pricing is rarely relevant.

I agree that many prices for coins with severe problems are being driven by books and price reports that are not understood. But at some point, the market (even if acting from ignorance) changes the price point, not visa versa.

19. Perfectspy39

Perfectspy39 New Member

I have been offered $1100 for the coin, would this be a fair selling price?

20. jester3681

For you it would be. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted