Whats in Your Numismatic Library??

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by RickieB, Feb 19, 2010.

1. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

Uuuuhhmmmm does Free mean anything to you? F-R-E-E! Say it with me Freeeeeee. FREE! Haha okay, I think you get the point; now we can move on to the next. I'm not sure if you were complaining or pointing out a good thing about cell phones containing gold in them? Well, if you were complaining, you contridicted yourself by using the word "recycle". Yes, we 'recycle' the phones with the gold. As far as I'm concerned, the use of cell phones that use gold keeps the demand for gold higher, thus worth more. For someone who has gold, thats great, for someone looking to buy, I'm sure thats bad.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The new phone was FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE if you don't count the gold you gave back to them. I think you get my point, too!

No, I wasn't complaining. I'd like to be the owner of the complany that recycles them! Also, the lithium batteries are recycled, too.

Chris

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

6. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

Cigarettes?! I'm glad you can afford to throw money away!! Soooooo funny hahahahahaha!! As if those aren't a waste of money. Shoot, at least my iPhone isn't going to kill me! Cigarettes are whats killing my grandfather, not gold in iPhones. Listen to yourself first before you type things. So hypocritical...

7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

My library is about 650 volumes on ancient coins, about 400 on ancient history. World coins is about 150 volumes, with my US coin references lighter with only about 100 volumes.

Chris

8. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I'm always looking for good internet sites. Please show me, or include a link that will provide; when the note was printed, what run, quantity printed and current values in different conditions. Thanks Travis.

9. lucyray

lucyray Ariel -n- Tango

Wow! Your library is a collection on its own! Oh my!

Lucy

10. medoraman

You are right actually. Many times I spend more money each month on references than coins. Historically, good books on coins have appreciated more than the coins themselves.

Chris

11. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

First things first, I open the Safari app on my phone. I automatically have bookmarked MyCurrencyCollection.com and USPaperMoney.Info. This all gives me an idea of what figure of printing, etc. Then, I go to the eBay app on my phone. I punch in the info of the bill and all others being sold pop up. Also, another great pricing reference place is this: http://www.fstctycurr.com/

I have this bookmarked as well, so it really only takes me a couple seconds to complete each of these tasks.

12. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I am familiar with all of these websites. Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought you knew of one that had everything. Robert Azpiazu, from First City has a great guide with print runs, dates printed, and estimated prices in CH-CU......but it only goes back to 1963. I like his guide, for information, better than his website. The guide has all denominations ($1-$100), and all the districts. His website only has prices for his inventory for sale (retail), which does not include all denominations & districts. To each their own.......I like the internet, and love my books.

13. chip

chip Novice collector

Nice Library, I recently picked up Vellikovskys book, Ages in Chaos, Maybe when finished we can work out a trade, unless you already have that one, it is concerned with settling the chronologies between different histories. 1580 BCE -323 BCE.

I have thought about the idea that online books save trees and are better for the environment, certainly there is a large impact for the initial book, but after it is produced it is done with, on line books take batteries, servers, if you share a link another person is consuming energy for every minute they take reading it, I suppose that if there were no libraries or book sharing that on line might be cheaper, It does seem like we are not using less electricity, but more. I also have heard that people are more prone to print out things from on line, more so than just linking to it, so I am not sure that we are actually saving more electricity, or being greener on line than the old way of printing books.

14. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

Fair enough.:)

15. medoraman

I had not heard of that volume, we could talk about it.

I used to be controller of a paper distributor, and took some "paper college" classes. Its really amazing how high a percentage of paper is made from timber raised on poor ground just to be harvested for paper. Think about it, paper is usually made from small logs, large logs are actually forbidden at many mills since they are too hard to handle.

I guess what I am saying is based upon my own knowledge, I do not think my books are ungreen at all. In fact, I feel worst about the electricity used to fuel the lights I used to read more than the book itself. The thing about ebooks is they will use energy every second they will ever be used, once you create a book, (from renewable resources raised to produce paper), your drain on natural resources is over. Also, more than half of my volumes have been purchased second hand, which means their green "footprint" at that time is effectively zero.

Chris

16. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

It's better than that. When those trees got turned into paper and made into books, their carbon was sequestered. If those trees had been left to grow and die undisturbed, their carbon would've gone back into the atmosphere. Printed books fight global warming! *

* No, it's not really that simple. Printing books isn't especially green. But keeping books instead of letting them get tossed? Big win.

17. StGauden658

StGauden658 Junior Member

18. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

My library is succinct, and part of it is in digital format. The Krause World Coin books PDF files are fantastic and the CN Journal (publication of the RCNA) is now ALL online, with papers in PDF format (accessible right from issue #1 back in the mid 1950s until present, with password access to all RCNA members). I also use PCGS Photograde online and iPhone app.

Here is what I have in hard copy:

- Leroux 1888 Canadian Coin Cabinet (for historical research)
    - Charlton Standard Catalogue for Canadian Coins, editions #59 to present (for the variety sections)
    - Charlton Catalogue for Collector issues
    - Jack Griffin variety catalogues on Canadian and Provincial coinage
    - All of the Canadian variety catalogues by Hans Zoell (5 editions, both major and minor varieties)
    - Charlton catalogue for Canadian Government paper money
    - Catalogue for Canadian Chartered Bank Notes
    - Standard Catalogue of World Paper Money
    - Red Book for US coins
    - Canadian Municipal Trade Tokens
    - Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Colonial Tokens
    - Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Communion Tokens
    - Canadian Standard Grading Guide
    - Medals, tokens and paper money of the Hudson's Bay Company
    - unpublished manuscript of Canadian George VI 50-cent varieties (by Paul Glover)
    - World Coin references by Krause (all volumes, mainly use the PDF versions)
    - past issues of CONECA (Error collecting Journal)

Books I plan to purchase soon

- All three volumes by Rob Turner on Canadian Victorian large cent coins
    - Jetons de Lait du Quebec Dairy Tokens
    - Atwood's Catalogue of United States and Canadian Transportation Tokens

Draft saved Draft deleted