Whats in Your Numismatic Library??

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by RickieB, Feb 19, 2010.

1. StGauden658

StGauden658 Junior Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I have a tendency to donate or give away currency guides after a newer edition is released. I transfer notations and check marks to the newer guide. Currently I am using;

Collectors Guide to Modern Federal Reserve Notes Series 1963-2009 (Robert Azpiazu)
    Standard Guide to Small-Size U.S.Paper Money 1928 to Date 9th Edition (Schwartz-Lindquist)
    Whitman Encyclopedia of U.S.Paper Money (Q.David Bowers)
    Paper Money of the United States 19th Edition (Arthur & Ira Friedberg)
    The Story of the American Bank Note Company (original edition)
    The Bureau of Engraving and Printing 100 Years (original edition)

I get BNR and Paper Money Magazine monthly.

4. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

my small assortment of books.

Attached Files:

5. norenxaq

norenxaq Active Member

most of these lists seem to be modern world or us.
    While I have a few books that catalogue world coins, the vast majority focus on older cultures primarily in asia (India and China in particular). I do have few book on classical coins as well as celtic and mediaeval europe.

6. StGauden658

StGauden658 Junior Member

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

What? No Dewey Decimal System?

Here is my small library...............

Attached Files:

8. Coinman1974

Coinman1974 Research, Research, Research

LOL, I was just reading some old posts when i came across that. Busted out laughing, as it is so true for probably many of us.

Regards,
    Stan

9. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

I hate to sound ignorant, but what does my numismatic library have in it? Google. Yahoo. USPaperMoney.Info. mycurrencycollection.com. Wikipedia... Need I say more? The nice thing about all of the above sources... Free! Not a waste of paper (now I'm not a tree hugger person to any extent, but that is something good to point out). They update along with me, so I don't have to buy the newest best book every year just to see newer series. They don't take up space like books do. They don't depreciate as books do. The list goes on. I'm not trying to be ignorant. I'm mainly just trying to through some idea out their. Maybe you guys can contridict some of the thing I said and I can even change my point of view on numismatic paper copy books.:)

10. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Nothing against the internet, or you Travis, but all or most of the sites you mentioned do not have prices. The guides I have are a quick way to check ball park prices and it takes less time to glance at my guide then it does to log on to Heritage or eBay to check their archives for past prices paid. Some of the other books are for the history behind the scenes and the evolution process. I also write notes with information in my guides, and check off notes I have, and in what condition I have them, and in some instances, prices paid. If you ever attend a major show, and don't have your laptop with you, then one of the current guides would be a handy thing to have.

11. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Nothing wrong with getting some info online. But the way I see it most internet references are like the Cliffnote versions and leave out 90% of the information a book contains. Not to mention, there are just some aspects of the hobby that haven't gone digital yet. And to me sitting down and doing a bit of reading from a book is lot more enjoyable and relaxing than trying to piece together info on my computer. Of course, that just proves I'm old too.
    Guy

12. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

My library is relatively small... but as an ANA member I do take advantage of the ANA Library and regularly have them ship me books. Just got a box with 6 books today actually. Sure, you have to pay for shipping, but I get to see lots and lots of books for a fraction of the cost of buying them. Also, many of the books I borrow are out of print and aren't even available for purchase. Of course, whenver I see something in a book that I think may be useful in the future, I'll copy a few pages. But if I think the book is something really special and something I can't live without, I'll try to find one to buy. Otherwise, I can always borrow it from the ANA again :)

13. phdunay

phdunay Member

I have the 2012 Red Book, which I don't really like, all the PM prices are way off due to their changing costs, and they don't mention the original price of PMs when the book was released (I could find out but I never bothered). I also have the 1991 ANA Grading Standards book which was my first book, got it off eBay for $6

14. cpm9ball

You shouldn't be using the Red Book prices anyway.

Chris

15. phdunay

phdunay Member

Yeah, I don't use it much, I use current and past auctions mostly for prices, also NGC prices

16. cpm9ball

Everyone has their own way of doing things. I'm one of the baby boomers who grew up in the 50's & 60's so I'm used to having books around. But, tell me where you can find online the complete text of Van Ryzin's The Crime of 1873, Forrer's 8-volume, 5238-page Biographical Dictionary of Medallists, Mitchiner's 862-page Jetons, Medalets and Tokens: The Low Countries and France or Gadoury's Olympic Medals and Coins?

But the biggest reason for me to have the books around is because I don't have a laptop. So, if I want to step out on the lanai for a cigarette, I can't take my desktop computer and monitor with me to read while I'm smoking.

Chris

17. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

Old people, haha!! Books? Eeewww, yuck. Now days, we got these little inventions called iPhones and when I get any note anywhere, I whipp out my phone and find out right away what it goes for, when it was printed, what run, etc. It is possible to find all the possible information about a US currency subject on one single internet page. I know everything about every single note I ever get the second I get it. It even works to post on here! Yup, pics too. And please don't even start going on about how these iPhones are expensive or whatever. I get the newest best iPhone every year for free. But that's all just me. You are old and stuck on black and white books. Good for you!:) You should stick with whatever you grew up on, and I'll stick with what I grew up on.

Nice to meet you, Guy. My name is Travis.

18. phdunay

phdunay Member

Hehe, ask me the last time I opened those books!

19. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Forrer is online. http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?cc=genpub;view=toc;idno=AJK5386.0001.001

T
    here are also pdfs of it, if you look harder.

20. cpm9ball

I'm glad you can afford to throw money away!

The 180 million cellphones that are recycled annually contain $130 million in gold.

Chris

21. cpm9ball

Draft saved Draft deleted