Whats in Your Numismatic Library??

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by RickieB, Feb 19, 2010.

1. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Thought it would be cool to see everyone personal Library..

So here's mine, whats in yours??

The wire Spiral Books are the 5th Edition of Kelly's Nat Bank Notes and the Fractional Currency Guides issued by the F.C.C.B.

[​IMG]

RickieB

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tauferners

tauferners On a quest for knowledge

Although it is small my personal library, including my numismatic one is always growing. I am only buying used books at greatly dicounted prices, so the pricing is not as current however last years pricing is usually not far enough off to dictate what I am willing to pay. Surprisingly the little 1985 black book price guide has some marvleous info in regrads to coins and what to lokk for in grades on specific type & series of coins. That one was free for my Grandmother who spent years sorting through coins & paper in the till of the taverns she used to own. She had quite a collection of silver until a few relatives decided to pillage her coins. It is unfortunate that they only paid her face vlalue when they knew full well what those coins were worth. Oh well, my rant for the day back to the subject at hand.

Attached Files:

4. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Ricky we have most of the same but I have a bunch of coin books too...shhh don't tell the currency guys ;)

5. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I heard that!! LOL :)

6. mpcusa

My digital camera is down but i can tell you what i have 5 Books
    On Mpc and 3 others on US notes, Sorry no Coin books!

7. buzzard

buzzard Active Member

Mine's work in progress
    2009/10 redbooks
    5th Edition Cherrypicker
    1981 redbook

8. Duke Kavanaugh

MPC what are the 5 books on MPC's?

9. mpcusa

I got the first 3 Editions Of Fred Schwan,s Comprehensive Catalog
    Of Military Payment Certificates, Ive got another from him from
    The early 80,s but i think its a more general guide and not included
    In his original editions, I also have another, This is the one that started
    My Mpc voyage, Though its not dedicated completly to Mpc as a matter
    Of fact only a few pages but it got me hooked!!

20th edition Standard Catalog of:

United States Paper Money by Chester L. Krause

This book covers everything!! In the U.S even errors!!

10. Duke Kavanaugh

I've seen one of his old ones (yellow cover and not very thick) and it was more of a price guide.
    There is a guy I know that was selling all his mpc's from that books prices!
    Talk about using an outdated book.

11. mpcusa

Give me his name and number...LOL

12. krispy

krispy krispy

[​IMG]

From three different bookshelfs combined into one uploaded image.

The four portfolios right of Hey Mr. Hornblower are my ABNCo Archive Series: Red-1991, Blue-1989, Green-1988, Brown-1987. Also left of Handbook of 20th Century US Gold Coins is a thin volume, an Authors' Proof of Indian Head Quarter Eagles by Mike Fuljenz/Doug Winter. I think you all can read the rest of the titles. If not let me know.

13. lettow

lettow Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the shelves of my "working library". And the two on my desk . . .

[​IMG]

14. Duke Kavanaugh

Wow lettlow that's alot of books, you sure your not a book collector instead ;)
    And did all those books tear the shelf down and the drywall come with it!!
    You should open a lending library out from all those.
    What are those medals in the pictures btw?

15. mpcusa

Now that,s what i call a library:kewl:

16. lettow

lettow Senior Member

20+ years of collecting without a good focus lead to collecting a lot of books as well as notes. I have boxes of other books but they are mostly coins and other things I don't pursue anymore.

Over the last year or so I began collecting military medals. I am concentrating on the campaign medals of WWI and WWII as well as locally issued WWI victory medals from Wisconsin.

The medals in the picture are the three common British campaign medals from WWI. They are the 1914-15 Star (the ribbon is reversed on it but that is the way it came), the War Medal and the Victory Medal. These were issued to a South African who started in the medical corps and ended in the RAF. He also served in WWII as I have a WWII Africa Service Medal with his name on it.

17. lettow

lettow Senior Member

I recommend the ANA library if anyone is looking to borrow materials. You have to be an ANA member, of course. They have an extensive collection of material available and the cost is minimal. In my opinion, it is the best benefit of membership in the ANA.

18. Duke Kavanaugh

The real question is have you read them all :D
    If so just remembering 10% of it makes you quite knowledgeable in numismatics!

BTW, what do these Wisconsin medals look like?

19. lettow

lettow Senior Member

I have read most of them. Some are things like reports from the Federal Reserve which I have not read cover-to-cover.

Here are some examples of the medals. Although original ribbons are preferred, it is an acceptable practice in the hobby to replace ribbons. The medals shown below are the following:

[​IMG]

Wisconsin National Guard Medal for the Spanish-American War
    Mexican Border Service Medal from Milwaukee
    WWI Victory Medal from Green Bay (This is a standard design used by many communities around the country. The name of the city is on the reverse.)
    WWI Victory Medal from Racine

20. Duke Kavanaugh

Cool medals.

Well I dont want to hijack the thread.
    So lets see some more library's :D

21. snaz

snaz Registry fever

I'm on my phone. But I'm excited to take a picture of mine when I get home. It's grown a bit lately. :)
    nice librarys everyone.

Draft saved Draft deleted