What's in a name? English Cartwheel

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Southernman189, Mar 25, 2022.

1. Southernman189

Southernman189 Well-Known Member

I have had this coin for many years man sold it to me refered to it as an ENGLISH CARTWHEEL. Price was right so I bought it. Did some quick research and found this coin to be Australia's first coin. (lil trivia for you) 1806 English Cartwheel OBV..jpg 1806 English Cartwheel REV..jpg 1806 English Cartwheel EDGE.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Uh...close...
    upload_2022-3-25_13-8-10.png

The cartwheel had this thick border, and I had always heard the tuppence called a cartwheel since it weighed 2 Av ounces...

Southernman189 likes this.
  4. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

The cartwheel penny, dated 1797. was the first of its kind produced with steam-powered presses, driven by Boulton & Watt steam engines.

This is a two pence, Soho Mint, 1797.

KM 619

57.02 grams

D-Camera George III England 2 pence 1797 57.02g KM 619 Soho mint 3-25-22.jpg

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Much nicer than mine...I think someone used mine to drive nails! :)

robinjojo and Southernman189 like this.
  6. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

Mine is in pretty poor shape--I'm just happy to have one.
    Here's a size comparison of the 1797 two and one pence coins plus a later Victoria penny. (You can tell from the pink ruler that I have lots of daughters.)
    1797 Cartwheel comparison copy.jpg

7. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Here's my example of the 1797 Cartwheel twopence with Britannia on the reverse. 41 mm., 56.1 grams. I purchased it from Karl Stephens Inc. in March 1986; it was sold to me as being in EF condition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

If there's "English" on it it should draw back.

Kentucky likes this.
  9. Robidoux Pass

Robidoux Pass Well-Known Member

Nice example, @DonnaML. Your example reminds me of a question of curiosity I've had. In the abbreviation for Dei Gratia Rex, why are there two dots as a "colon" after the "D" but only a single dot after "G"?

DonnaML likes this.
  10. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'm sure there's an explanation, but I don't know what it is. It's not unique to the cartwheel coins, though; I just took a look at the legend on my 1806 halfpenny and the same is true there.

Robidoux Pass likes this.
  11. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

That's a beauty. Very nice!

DonnaML likes this.
  12. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Both 1 and 2-pence coins are referred to as cartwheels by many collectors...including me.:D Two heavy and impressive coins.

Bruce

13. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Wow...VERY nice...a gorgeous Georgius to be sure...!

14. Mac McDonald

15. Mac McDonald

Think better than EF...in AU to me...another gorgeous Georgius regardless...am salivating and I must have one, so going looking! Thx for sharing.

DonnaML likes this.
  16. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Here are my cartwheels.

cart4.jpg 2pence.jpg

17. harrync

harrync Well-Known Member

18. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Thank you.

Yes, given the size and weight of the pence and 2 pence, they were easily prone to damage and wear. My coin is not without faults. There are some contact marks and discoloration on the obverse rim. But, given the price differences between a coin in choice unblemished condition, and one with some relatively minor ones, the coin I have is a good compromise.

I really haven't collected British coinage in any systematic way, so what I have is kind of hodgepodge of coins, ones that I find attractive and/or historical. Truth is that I haven't acquired a British coin in about 20 years, with most of the coins I have dating back to the 1980s and 1990s.

One old acquisition that I might devote a threat on is this Vigo crown of Anne, 1703, purchased from Heritage in 1992:

D-Camera Anne crown Vigo 1703 Heritage 1992 Dav. 1338 30.00g 3-24-22.jpg

BRandM, Marsyas Mike and DonnaML like this.
  19. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Here's a 2d cartwheel made into a little bowl thing...wine porringer? Not sure. The coin is pretty nice from the look of it, but the rims might be awful. The bowl was silverplate at one point, but the silver is mostly worn away now:

UK - 1797 Cartwheel 2d bowl (1).JPG
    UK - 1797 Cartwheel 2d bowl (2).JPG

robinjojo likes this.
  20. Mickey in PDX

Mickey in PDX Active Member

A beautiful coin, love that rich copper color. Thank you for sharing.

21. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Has anyone noticed that the coin posted by the OP @Southernman189, does not look the same as the majority of the other "cartwheel" coins posted by others?
    What's the reason?
    Different denominations?
    Different countries?

I ask questions not because I'm stupid but because I'm uninformed.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted