What's hot right now to collect?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Maintain, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Maintain

Maintain Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

4. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

If you're interested in early copper, check out the Early American Copper http://www.eacs.org/links.html club. Without a doubt, the best resource around. If you are going to in Texas the end of this month, their annual convention is in Dallas Apr 29 - May 3.
    If you want to start collecting, their links http://www.eacs.org/links.html are a good place to start.

5. merrill01

merrill01 Member

I love commem's because they are all different, and you really don't need all of them to have a collection. Just buy the ones you like.

6. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

My tip: stay far away from commems! Ive dabbled in them and regret it. Now, to me, silver type coins/bullion coins are hot enough to burn the hair off a wet dog!!!! Why? Because the guys buying/stacking silver are convinced silver is poised to rebound at some point. Now, if you were to collect silver commems go 4 the ones with uber low mintages like the '37 '38 or '39 arkansas commem. The best coins right now for the price imo are classic proofs. You can purchase V nickels, IHC's, 3cent nickels or shield nickels in PROOF CONDITION for very reasonable prices right now!!!

7. sensehunter

sensehunter Member

Cannot compete with "The Big Boys" on US Mint New Releases, Show Labels, graded first strikes, or ER..no way..No way to compete with bulk submitters....or, large bullion houses....my money is going into low mintage Silver and Gold Coins, with bullion and numismatic value, such as Mexican Libertads(2014 Proof Gold was a scant 250 struck, and 350 in 1/4 Oz), GB Proof sets with Britannia's, and KEY Date Bullion issues like 1997 Canadian Maple Leaf...seems many like myself are saturated with US coins, and, have discovered the beautiful selection of World Coins...many for personal sets, and, the others investments to hold for a rainy day down the line. I have found dealers who do NOT sell 2nds, and, the quality is off the charts, and am very happy with purchases. Raw coins from Big Bullion Houses(Ampex, etc...), are leftovers with minor issues..they already sent in the best for hopeful PR70 & MS70 labels, so, I prefer smaller dealers who aim for repeat sales via selling the best to all buyers, and, are not in the grading game.

8. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I am a committed contrarian. If "everybody" thinks a certain area is hot, I say it's not. I think bullion is a bad deal now. Yes, it'll wiggle and waggle, but with interest rates eventually heading up, that's bearish for metals. The lack of earnings for metals, compared to bonds with a higher return than umm, zero (!!!) makes bullion decline now in order to create a capital gain later. Bullion is good at only one time - when inflation is booming or imminently so. Coin people have idiotically been expecting inflation for most of 5 years now, and it STILL ain't coming. It won't until wage increases get real strong. As long as employees have less bargaining power than employers, forget inflation.

9. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Why do you have to collect something hot? That's what sheeple do. Search within yourself and discover what moves you emotionally and spiritually.

Mr. Flute likes this.
  10. UniqueDesigns

UniqueDesigns Civil War Token Collector

Civil War Tokens are extremely more Rare than Any US Minted coinage.
    Struck to be used as change during the CW 1862-64 period.
    I personally own a few that are thought to have fewer than 3-20 available

11. V. Kurt Bellman

Yes, CWT's are fascinating, and now being slabbed, too. I have only two, but they show up regularly in local auctions near me, including some rarities. California fractional gold seems underappreciated too.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  12. Maintain

Maintain Active Member

It's remarkable, the variety, countries, types, of coins to collect. Hence my initial question. I hold strong amounts of slabed Morgan/Peace dollars. Hundreds of Kennedy Halfs. Canadian coins as well.
    Just askin. Did not even start to believe, I would recieved such a varied response. What a great Site. Thanks! Greg

Travlntiques likes this.
  13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm a fan of collecting what's not hot and selling when it is.

kazuma78 and V. Kurt Bellman like this.
  14. UniqueDesigns

UniqueDesigns Civil War Token Collector

Like my 160 Tom Brady rookies from 2001 - 2004!

15. Spud Koolzip

Spud Koolzip Member

You're funny.

16. V. Kurt Bellman

But this is a classic example of how to win long term. Two out of the three of those laughers are tomorrow's sleepers. Look, Morgans were unwanted when they were current. That's why they were in tons of bags to be found in the 1960's and 1970's. Sound a little like today's Presidentials and Sacs, don't they? Someday the anti-clad bias has to fade away. How long is your time horizon? Only one of the three of those has no future - the low grade Buffalos! Are you socking away primo high end Susie's? I am - including Type 2's and Near Date 1979's, but not only those. Get out a good glass and find ones with no marks and lots of rotating luster. What hath happened to Ike shall happen to Susie.

17. re-collect

re-collect Active Member

Yes, but to what extent? "Susies" and "todays presidentials" may indeed go up in price, but to capitalize on that, one would need to buy and eventually sell large quantities. Not practical or desirable for the average collector/investor.

18. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

I don't plan on living to the age of 150, so that's the reason why I like to buy better date dollars and silver type coins.

19. V. Kurt Bellman

Okay, but I DO have a son as passionate about coins as I am, and maybe sometime in the next 10 years or so, a grandson who also is. I don't mind at all thinking 100 years out. My son was born 30 years after the clad turnover. Why would that ever be relevant to him? It would be like me having some inherent interest as a youth about the eventual fallout of the Pittman Act.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted