What's hot right now to collect?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Maintain, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Maintain

Maintain Active Member

Looking for a new direction, or type of coin to collect. Been considering older Commemoratives.......... Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

I don't know if they are "hot" but there are some nice looking classic commens. I always liked Texas.

4. Maintain

Maintain Active Member

Civil War related do well.....and numbers are limited.

5. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

Hot- clads, susie b's, low grade buffalos

Rushmore, harris498 and chromerunner like this.
  6. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

:eek: That's just cruel. ;)

H8_modern and medjoy like this.
  7. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

Early Copper—Dave Bowers has a net book on collecting half and large cents coming out this summer. Should spark additional interest in copper
    My preference is half cents (only 99 varieties for the entire series)

8. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

Whatever I am selling at the moment... :happy:

(I'm obviously kidding.)

Cringely likes this.
  9. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

Don't forget low grade V-Nicks and Presidential Dollars.

Spud Koolzip and bkozak33 like this.
  10. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

It seems to me that lots of the "hot" coins are current issue U.S. Mint releases. Think gold Kennedys, Baseball Hall of Fame, Sacajawea coin and currency set. ASEs seem to be all the rage as well. ;) If you like the classic commemoratives go for them, there are plenty of beautiful issues. Me, I'm all in on forms of military payment right now though I'm really interested in ancients. I'm also cautiously venturing into Sutler tokens and scrip.

11. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

Classic Commems seem to be the opposite of "Hot" right now. I've seen quite a lot of talk regarding how their prices are way down. SO, if you're looking for something to collect at the moment, these would be ideal because I believe the downward trend is just temporary! It's wise to buy when others are selling when nothing about the objects fundamentals have changed....something about "buy on the dips".

dwhiz and Jwt708 like this.
  12. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I think the classic commemoratives will do well as they'll hold interest to future generations of collectors.

dwhiz likes this.
  13. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

You are getting lots of love toward classic commems, but keep this in mind; in 1992 I thought they had hit rock bottom and had no where to go but up. Since then, they have never had their day in the sun and have fallen farther. Believe me when I tell you that many, many dealers and collectors thought as I did back in 1992 and we were all wrong.

14. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

the problem with modern commems is that the Mint produces hundreds of thousands of them, nearly all in MS-69 or -70. apart from the TV hucksters, the numismatic value of any coin when they grade greater than MS-68 is virtually nil.
    If you want long term growth (or liquidity above face/bullion value), go with something that has absolute rarity (preferably less than a couple thousand) or is a key coin such as the 1909 S-VDB.

15. krispy

krispy krispy

Try not to limit yourself to just US coins. There are so many fascinating areas of collecting and commemorative items from all over, through all eras of coins and medals. Consider that not just certain coin types may be worth collecting but also coins of a certain quality within a type can be collected as a specialty, like a range of grades in a type that are more scarce and offer more challenge to find and obtain as well as hold a value due to such scarcity. Above all else, despite all the suggestions, may sure you know the area well you are collecting by doing the reading and research and have fun doing it.

16. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

Yup, They are a steal right now along with silver type coins. I'd prefer the single issues over the P,D,S set issues.

dwhiz likes this.
  17. Dancing Fire

I still have some Commens from those day...:inpain:

18. Dancing Fire

Best time to buy!. I'm looking to buy single issues in MS64-66.

19. Dancing Fire

:stop:Yup, don't get the guy started on the wrong foot.

20. Maintain

Maintain Active Member

1/2 coppers sound good. Thanks for all your input! Appreciate it. Greg

21. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

I know alot of collectors/dealers probably frown on this but I dont nail what I collect down to one series or type. There are SO many interesting and cool coins with incredibly fascinating histories so my personal collection has coins of many different types from the US and a few from around the world. I have some ancients, some cool foreign coins, some currency, a pattern, some gold and some high end morgans and other silver pieces, classic commems, CWT's, gorgeous toned coins, etc. I collect what I like and I love the history behind specific pieces. I just like to collect what interests me. I hope I dont have to sell because I will find it really hard, as Ive become attached to many of my pieces due to the histories behind them. Ill probably look for a nice Feuchtwanger and some continental currency next.

Travlntiques and Del Ihle like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted