whats happening to this copper modern coin?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Gustavo Fernandez, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Gustavo Fernandez

Gustavo Fernandez New Member

hello to everyone im new here, just wondering why this modern coin is looking like this? it looks like its fading or changing color but i didnt cleaned it it was saved in a plastic sheet till today but it seems it needs some cleaning or is just normal copper change colors like this? btw its a fij 2 cents 1992 coin. thanks verybody, and im sorry if this is not the correct place to post this topic. cheers

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Finger oil.. That's fingerprint damage

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    spirityoda and tommyc03 like this.
  4. Gustavo Fernandez

There is no way to recover this?

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

no. not without damaging the surface of the coin.

6. paddyman98

Your coin is a Copper Plated Zinc Cent.. It is really not worth trying to clean it unless it has some kind of sentimental value to you.
    fiji.JPG

7. paddyman98

1992 had the highest mintage of 16,200,000

And.. you did post in the correct forum!

8. Gustavo Fernandez

Thanks for the answer but im new in coin collecting, is the coin daAmage get worst or just stays like this if i keep it protected?

9. Gustavo Fernandez

and just one last question should i grade it as UNC or XF?

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

It's conceivably an uncirculated coin dear fellow. Welcome to the forum.........:)

11. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Will soaking with acetone at least stop the damage from getting worse?

12. paddyman98

Don't worry about your coin so much. It's really nothing of value or highly collectable. It will stay the way it is. Don't even bother to send it to get graded. It's really not worth it.
    I probably have about 2 or 3 exact Fiji coins like yours in my junk foreign coins box.

13. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

This is why I acetone all my coins when I acquire them. You cannot tell if there are fingerprints before it is too late, so it is safer to always assume they are there and treat them in advance.

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

But if the prints are 'latent' acetone ain't gonna do a dad blasted thing. Finger oils 'etch' the metal, thereby incurring an an ongoing condition of such........

15. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

My point is you catch them early. At the time when acetone will work, you cannot see them.

16. jcm

jcm Active Member

The fading you mentioned is natural toning of the coin, or oxidation of the surface. It happens to all metal exposed to air and moisture. You can control this by keeping the coin in a paper envelope or a hermetically sealed plastic (non pvc) envelope. Also, be careful to not touch the coin on its front or back; instead hold it by the rims (sides) to avoid damage to the fields.
    Good luck! Enjoy the hobby, I have since 1986!

Draft saved Draft deleted