what's going on with Vcoins ?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Montmercure, Sep 23, 2022.

1. Montmercure

Montmercure Active Member

Hello everyone,

I worry about the seriousness of Vcoins and some of the sellers who are registered there

Experience: I request (via Vcoins) a US seller to know the shipping costs for France (before validating my purchase) .............. 5 days without response

So I ask admin@vcoins ..................4 days without response (to date)

Would there be no one on the plane?
    Would we only have to do with one machine?

Have you had such setbacks with this platform?

philologus_1, Evan Saltis and expat like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

J'utilise ebay, cest beaucoup plus facile et il y a plus de sureté

4. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

Did you check the "terms" as some dealers have all their shipping options listed.

Montmercure likes this.
  5. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Recently received a great coin from Savoca on VCoins.. paid 20 euro for shipping. That hurt but my heart made the decision over my head.. you know how it goes. Then to get a message from FedEx requiring $28 to clear “customs and taxes” prior to delivery.. basically a ransom fee. Don’t order from Savoca if you’re in North America. They don’t know how to ship to avoid these fees. I’ve received dozens of coins from Europe with no additional fees. Terrible support from them as well.

Mr.MonkeySwag96 likes this.
  6. Mr.MonkeySwag96

Mr.MonkeySwag96 Well-Known Member

I’ve considered buying some coins from Savoca until you mentioned the shipping costs & customs fees

7. Montmercure

j'achète sur plusieurs sites (en directe ou via une plateforme). Chaque moyen présente des avantages et des inconvénients et nécessite de bonnes connaissances numismatiques (sur ebay, il y a une bonne proportion de faux).
    Mais jusqu'à présent je n'avais jamais eu a faire à une plateforme qui ne répond pas et à un vendeur - qui ne travail que via Vcoins - et qui reste muet :-(

8. Montmercure

as you had put the doubt in me, I just checked again,
    below the "terms"
    I specify that this seller works exclusively with Vcoins

=========================================================
    David Connors
    New items added often!
    Terms

We proudly subscribe to the VCoins Dealer Code of Ethics.

Title does not pass until payment is made in full.

We accept checks drawn on U.S. banks, money orders, or Visa and MasterCard through PayPal.

We ship to the following countries:
    - All Countries
    ====================================================

Victor_Clark likes this.
  9. Montmercure

it is for this reason, among other things, that I always take the precaution of finding out about the costs before any purchase

10. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

I am in France and I wanted to buy a book on Vcoins from Charles Davis Numismatic Literature, but all I got was a No Way red notification : We cannot ship to your location, please consult our terms. I did, and they said they ship to "all countries" except for Germany (allegedly because of recycling and tax laws ??? (WTF?)), India, China and Russia. (apparently they have no problem with Afghanistan or N. Korea), but they add: "We no longer ship Internationally without pre-approval"... pre-approval of what? by whom?
    They also threaten to charge an extra $65.00 to 80.00 for shipping cost, but they will not ship outside USA (not even to Canada?) anyway...
    What could I do???

Montmercure likes this.
  11. Montmercure

At least you got an answer !!,
    After everyone is (in my opinion) free to sell or not to sell as we are to buy or not.

But where it gets stuck is when the Vcoins platform does not relay the requests and does not clean up among these sellers

this could be seen as a disregard for customers !

tibor and philologus_1 like this.
  12. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

I would read "pre-approval" as "please contact us for options". A quick check online shows USPS charges $67.80 for for a book-sized do-it-yourself priority package and $83.75 for a medium (book-sized) flat-rate priority box from the US to France.

Nicholas Molinari and Broucheion like this.
  13. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

Yes, the German Packaging Act has been in force for about three years.

https://packhelp.com/german-packaging-act/

14. The Meat man

The Meat man Well-Known Member

That's odd. I've purchased from them multiple times at auction, and the shipping (FedEx) has always been fairly reasonable (around $25), with no extra costs, and it has always been very fast for an out-of-country origin. Perhaps they run their VCoins store differently; I've never ordered from there before.

benhur767, Curtis and Valentinian like this.
  15. Montmercure

Outcome of the story, is it the commotion caused on the networks, but I had an answer this morning!!
    all's well That ends well !
    if we can say that in english

Evan Saltis, expat and philologus_1 like this.
  16. Clavdivs

And how would you do that in this case?

17. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

EDIT: I wish to add that I should've toned all this down, and could've tried to understand their perspective & been less accusatory. I think I was being a bit unfair and can see alternative interpretations.

They're saying they're upset that Savoca wouldn't lie on the Customs Declarations to try to help them cheat on the import duties.

I think it's rather silly and petty to expect a serious firm to commit an actual crime (and to do it in writing!) to help buyers avoid $28 in taxes. (Basically asking them to participate in a criminal smuggling conspiracy.)

Personally, I don't buy from a dealer/auctioneer again if they lie on the import documents.

But if someone wants to evade taxes and lie on government paperwork themselves, whatever, everyone chooses how much of the law they're willing to follow and we all decide for ourselves whether and how to judge that.

But to be indignant because some professional numismatic firm didn't go the extra mile and break the laws to save you pocket change?

That's ludicrous.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
    red_spork likes this.
  18. Clavdivs

HANG ON!!! I said no such thing! That is not a fair statement at all.
    I have purchased many coins from European auction houses and VCoin dealers and had them shipped to me in Canada and I never had these extra charges. So my concern was why I was asked to pay this when I never have before? Isn’t that a fair question?
    I did not request that the law be broken in any way..
    When I reviewed the bill from FedEx a $10 charge (plus tax) was as a line item as “receiver without a fedex # or unreliable receiver” ?? So what is that? I paid the Fedex charges to the seller at time of purchase. The other “nickel and diming” small charges were as confusing and odd and made up the other $18. I did not see any customs fees as line items..
    So my exasperation is fair in my view.. and I did NOT ask that laws be broken.
    I don’t think your comment is fair at all… and you shouldn’t attempt to tell me what I am saying.

19. Clavdivs

20. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

EDIT [as above]: I wish to add that I should've toned all this down, and could've tried to understand their perspective & been less accusatory. I think I was being a bit unfair and can see alternative interpretations.

If I'm mistaken, I apologize, but your original account seems quite clear, you received:
    "a message from FedEx requiring $28 to clear “customs and taxes” prior to delivery.. basically a ransom fee. ...They don’t know how to ship to avoid these fees. "

In your words, as best I can tell, you wanted Savoca to ship in a way to avoid "customs and taxes."

It's actually a very frequent complaint (and request people make of sellers). Lots of people want sellers to package items in such a way as to not have to pay "customs and taxes."

Typically that means not declaring the contents or their value or labeling a gift or documents or whatever. (How else are they supposed "to ship to avoid customs and taxes"?)

[Edit: I overlooked the Canada part.] I don't know if you're in Canada or Mexico where there rules may be different, but I've had to pay import duties to the U.S. a few times. I forget the exact rules, they either apply only to gold or to any coins over a certain price. Below a certain threshold you pay nothing.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  21. Clavdivs

Your point is fair when I look back at my original post. I don't want to argue with you. However I had no interest in expecting a firm to break the law - I was just frustrated with extra fees after I paid a pretty solid shipping fee. All told paying about 40 euro shipping on a 100 euro coin should upset anyone.
    Live and learn... I won't be buying from them again.

Curtis likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted