Whats going on with this MM?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Cohan, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Cohan

Cohan New Member

CRH nickels today guys and noticed something wasn't right with the MM to the naked eye. I put it on the digital microscope and this is what I found. Coins in rough shape overall.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I've seen this anomaly occur hundreds, if not thousands, of times. What you need to do is rotate the coin so that it is upside down when you're viewing it through the scope. That way, when you snap the photo, it will be right side up. ~ Chris

4. Cohan

Cohan New Member

After looking at it some more with sharper angles I think it's damage, what are your thoughts?

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks normal to me.

6. Cohan

Cohan New Member

I'm not using the kind of scope you think that I'm using.. Is this a facetious comment?

7. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Die damage in the area of the MM and other devices create issues like this. As noted, it's quite common. No premium for this. What you will also note is that there are coins out there you can ID by such chips and breaks.

DatDareNickelGuy likes this.
  8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

What Kevin said.

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Please tell me what kind of equipment you are using that allows you to view the subject through the lens right side up but captures the image upside down.

Yes, my comment was meant to be in jest but only because you post images upside down and side ways, but not right side up. There is a way you can compensate for this, you know. ~ Chris

10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

3hg37u.jpg

11. Cohan

Cohan New Member

I’m not viewing through a traditional microscope with an adjustable stage and objectives.. I have a plugable microscope in which I can view the images on my computer. Its considerably cheaper than a traditional scope and I can orient the coin in my fingers to get closer images. Yes, I took different angles of pictures to post and that is why the coins are oriented the way they are. I use medical microscopes for my career at a hospital.. but not for my hobby.

12. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Ah...but aren't the work systems fun! I have been lucky over the years to have nice, expensive setups at my clients. But that's a big investment for the home setting. As Chris suggests, though, having things oriented in the 'normal' orientation help folks to focus. Undoubtedly though, there are times when positioning the coin to accent an item overrides this. When this happens, I typically post both; the positioned orientation and the 'normal' orientation.

13. Cohan

Cohan New Member

Will keep that in mind for the future.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  14. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Or use a free photo computer app to reverse or flip images.

Draft saved Draft deleted