What's going on with this 1953 D Franklin Half?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by stldanceartist, Sep 22, 2019.

1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I agree with Larry that your coin exhibits machine doubling. That's some of the most extreme I've ever seen on a Franklin, but I still think it's machine doubling. You can see it on the bridge of the nose as well.

The Bust Half is known for a few *extreme* examples, like the one posted here. I think in general, the old screw type coins are capable of more extreme examples because they operated more slowly. In the Franklin era, coin presses worked far more rapidly than the presses in 1823 - more time on the upstroke meant more distortion.

I also think your Franklin is machine doubling. It can look a bit funny sometimes, but it has that shelf-like quality that I expect.

True hub doubling on the profile of Franklin is *extremely* rare. It is known, but there are very, very few examples. Take a very strong loupe and examine the lettering and other details. If there was true hub doubling on the profile, I can almost guarantee that there would be doubling on the lettering or date.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
Draft saved Draft deleted