What's going on with this 1863 Indian Head? Rim stuff/Clash

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by slamster17, May 17, 2017.

1. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

Was looking at some coins that came with a 7070 I bought a while ago and noticed some funky stuff going on with this 1863 Indian. The rim from about 12-2 is broken and it looks like the headdress feathers near the neck have a clash...weight is about right

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dfraser

dfraser Junior Member

Slight off center strike

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

very small rim cud, pieces of the die broke off.

5. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

That was my guess as well, rim cud. Thanks for pointing out the off-center @dfraser !

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Has rim cuds from about 1:00 to 5:00, can't be sure about clash marks, but it looks possible.

7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

63rpd2D.jpg What you have here is an R-5 variety coin FND-002 repunched date northwest 1863/86 both 8 and 6 shows the repunch in the upper parts of their lower loops.
    What makes this interesting is that the interest level is low for this variety the premium factor is 1.5x to 2.1 x
    The repunch is more prominent then the 001 and carries a slightly higher premium . In xf 30 Au 65 ms-63 the 200$ range.
    Sweet find congrats.

8. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

Thanks @Paddy54 do you know of any other diagnostics to look for on the FND-002? All I can find are the repunched date stats and I'm curious about whats going on with the lower headdress feathers.

9. Paddy54

Does the coin in hand match up to my post?
    You can check Indianvarieties.com I also used a book I have on Indian head cents.
    Heading off to bed now will have a look tomorrow and tag your post if I have any new information . Nice coin

10. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

I checked on indianvarieties.com but they don't have a ton of pictures. The 8 and 6 look similar but I am having a hard time seeing whats in the loops.

11. Paddy54

Is there any reverse rotation ?

12. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

Does not appear to be, if any very slight..

13. Paddy54

Post your images in full size not small.
    When up loaded you'll see the tab full size

14. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

15. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

With the new pictures I do not see any signs of re-punching.

16. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

It doesn't look genuine to me.

Rassi likes this.
  17. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Compare the date positions; they're not the same.

18. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Looks genuine to me but polished or whizzed. Of course that could also just be the pictures.

19. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Maybe whizzed, I could agree with that. The devices just seem very poorly executed and unlike the typical sharpness of the period. The fact that the thread went as long as it did with very smart variety guys and without anyone else calling it a counterfeit had me second guessing my opinion.

20. Paddy54

It's not fake the op sent me some better images of the coin as well the areas in question .He also sent me some images of a 65 variety. Granted the images aren't the best and I did call it an 002 when in fact it's an 001 variety . The two are very close in nature of the variety the 002 the stronger pups. Yes possibly it has been whizzed or cleaned. From the images given that's something you would need to see in hand.
    The op also explained to me where and how he obtained the coin .... not likely again it was counterfeited.
    There are some heavy hitters IHC varieties as well dates...this one isn't .
    One has to realize that in the condition of the said coin you're only talking about a $30-$60 coin with the variety.
    So faking a coin that has little or no real premium unless in mint state is kind of fruitless.
    The other point is the interest level on the 2 varieties is low at best...again pointless to fake a coin that has no real bang for the buck . If you're going to fake a specimen why not something worth while ?

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Kirkuleez likes this.
  21. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

Genuine. NOT whizzed.
    Just a very late die state (struck from worn-out dies, and a somewhat weak strike also).

Draft saved Draft deleted