Whats does abraded mean on graded coin.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Alberto Mejia JR., Aug 20, 2021.

1. Alberto Mejia JR.

Alberto Mejia JR. New Member

Hi, guys I sent a 1982 sm date Lincoln penny to get graded through anacs. They gradeded it "1982 1c Bronze SM Date Abraded OBV DIE AU 58. So my question is what exactly does Abraded mean, where is it abraded, and how much is it worth WIN_20210820_12_37_48_Pro.jpg WIN_20210820_12_40_50_Pro.jpg WIN_20210820_12_45_29_Pro.jpg ?

alurid and SensibleSal66 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

By definition it means scrape or wear away by friction or erosion. (basically worn away ).

Inspector43 likes this.
  4. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

The word 'abraded' AKA abrasions are marks or scrapes and your coin has some.

And honestly, that is a complete waste of money to send it for grading. I have found hundreds of these in circulation. The grading cost is $12 for economy shipping which is 1200x more than the coin is worth.

Never send in a coin unless its worth more than the grading costs. And if youre not sure about the price, look it up online or ask us here at cointalk.

5. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Not the coin is denoted as abraded, but the obverse die, but yeah, more to grade than it's worth.

Insider likes this.
  6. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

The abrasion was done to the die NOT the coin as this member posted. There is a very big difference.

Kentucky and derkerlegand like this.
  7. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

When the coin dies get dirty a built up with debris/ gunk, the press operator will clean them with a abrasive cloth which leaves scratches on the die that is transferred to the coin when struck. Sometime you will need a 10 x loupe to see them, sometime not. They look like scratches that are raised on the surface of the coin.
    In my opinion do not add value to a coin.
    20190728_181459.jpg

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  8. SensibleSal66

Okay then. How does one know if it was done at the mint or shortly after by some other means ?

9. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

die abrasion lines are raised

10. SensibleSal66

Draft saved Draft deleted