What's Better: Undergraded OGH/CAC or Higher-Graded Modern Holder ?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GoldFinger1969, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Derek2200

Derek2200 Well-Known Member

I want it in the holder with higher grade. As far as the hot air about OGH / CAC that is conjecture and not a grade on a holder. Many sellers try hype these up hoping hook somebody pay more money. If you think your ogh under graded send it in for grading.

Some ogh I have upgraded some not. Don’t let some guy bs you with the holder / sticker game. The bids are not going up so some these guys find any angle they can hype it up. They will mark coins up higher then feed you their hype oh well it’s ogh bla bla bla. They are losing money....desperate to find high buyer end user fodder.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Totally agree....CAC is real, holders are just speculation.

I do recall the owner of one of the 1927-D Saints asking for a DOWNGRADE a few years ago so that he could get a CAC sticker on it with the lower grade.

The games coin collectors play.....:D
    Agreed....though you can generall (NOT always !) see that many coins in the older slabs are generally "A" or "B" quality and very rarely "C."
    Agreed. Still see some nice coins in an OGH from time-to-time....will pay 5% more but won't pay 10-20% more for the privilege.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You are entitled to your opinion. But, one you learn to interpret pictures correctly, it's not all that difficult to determine if wear is present or not. And if there is wear, any wear, then the coin cannot be MS. As for the grading standards I use, I use the ANA grading standards.

You also be aware that PCGS states, in writing, in their book on grading standards, that coins with wear can be graded as high as MS67.

Yeah, on one or more of all the high points. And it only takes 1 for the coin to NOT be MS.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  5. charley

charley Well-Known Member

yes, i am entitled, as you are. yes, i know what the grading standards state (that is also very specific.

i did ask, though, were you using technical or market grading standards

you are fortunate. you have a visual photo grading talent that i have encountered only twice.

you also did not answered if your opinion was based on the oversized photos and would the opinion be the same if the coin is viewed using a standard 5x.

i feel comfortable stating that if your opinion is based on the oversized photos (which must be the situation unless you have seen the pieces in hand), then your opinion of ms can not be supported.

you state that you see wear on one or more of the high points. specifically which ones, and obverse or reverse?

it is very difficult to "learn" and to state it is not is not applicable to all. what re the parameters of vision? has an ophthalmologist determined that a person has the ability to distinguish depth, wear, color spectrum, angle, does not have the beginning stages of md or glaucoma or early stage catararact formation that can distort clarity and cause an interpretation of minor blurry spots within the field of vision? is the person tested for op? is the person 180 degrees in vision sphere determination?

i am happy to always discuss coins, but if it was easy, there would not be so many errors constantly made, and i suspect if you had the talent you state, john would hire you right now.

the original ana standards are technical standards. what is the conjunction between what you state your standards are based on and what pcgs standards are based on? after all, there has to be a meeting of the minds.
    what if the photo you are viewing is a distortion that causes high points to appear as a blemish, or the angle of light changes the highlights of the high points?

no, it is not easy. and it is not easily learned, and certainty can't be taught.

the hobby realizes this, and settled on an acceptable standard for opinion....5x. it did not settle on the opinion being based on a very oversized photo.

as you say, i am allowed an opinion and a spirited rebuttal (within decorum rules, of course), and would expect no less. that is what the hobby is about. we all gain from such discussions.

6. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

That's asinine, why would they do that? You know damn well their graders aren't grading coins with wear as Mint State.
    I'll go over them again, thanks !

You have shown that coins can be deceptively "altered" by the angle of lighting. With that in mind, why aren't you more cautious on grading coins or buying from pictures ?

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

In almost all cases, yes it is the same. Ya see, the way I learned to interpret pictures was by looking at them, and then looking at the coin in hand to confirm my opinion. And it's not really all that hard because what wear is, is a break in the luster. And when a picture is taken that break in the luster shows up differently in the pics than the areas of the coin immediately adjoining the break in the luster. That's what you have to learn to distinguish.

Now granted, there are some times when one simply can't do it with pics alone. But when I encounter such an example, then I simply say I would have to see the coin in hand to form an opinion.

To the contrary, I know damn well that's exactly what they are doing !

See my comments in the paragraphs above.

edit - also see my comments in post #41 of this thread -
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/wh...rgan-uncirculated-silver-dollar.374989/page-3

8. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted