What's best, to open now or wait

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by dollar, Jul 31, 2009.

1. dollar

dollar Junior Member

I know this is subjective but, is it better (or make more sense) to open inventory (rolled coins, bag quarters, etc.) and view the product (and thereby it's no longer straight from the mint) or wait for the price of products to (hopefully) go up and then sell for a profit. Part of me wants to hold on (products) for their future value and then again, part of me wants to see the product now.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

There is never a bad time to take a profit.

History is full of examples of bubbles bursting.

If profit is my goal....I would open them, flip what you can, and get rid of the rest -- but which path you take is up to you.

Good luck.

4. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

There are crazy examples where people don't even open the box up when it is delivered.

I've seen mint sets still sealed in their original shipping material go for a premium on ebay- but it's not crazy money.

I agree with LeadFoot, if you're looking to flip, do it. As far as long term, you either are or you are not. I'll give you an example. I just bought a 1979 mint set for $5 and a 1980 mint set for $5.50. When they came out about 30 YEARS ago, the issue price from the mint was $8 for the 1979 set and $9 for the 1980 set.

I feel sorry for those who bought those three decades ago and held on to them if they were hoping for a handsome return.....

5. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Your question for me is like asking if you buy a new car, should you drive it or put it in your back yard for the future. Buy a bottle of Beer and put it on a shelf for the future. Buy a house and lock the doors and wait for the future to use it.
    Any rolls of coins, Uncirc or proof sets from the Mint and every coin in a slab for me is something that just has to be seen. All are opened.
    Your question always reminds me of a neighbor of mine that moved away. He was a Hot Wheel Car collector. All were in the original packages. He was charged a real lot of money to have to move over 3,000 pounds of those things. Not long ago he passed away and all those were donated to some kids place and all were opened and played with.
    Think about that.

6. pappy-o

pappy-o coinoisseur

AAAAAAAAA I don't spend money on my proof sets & other coins from the mint just to stare or gaze at an unopened box, whats the point of collecting if you don't admire the beauty of great coins ?

7. CrustyCoins

CrustyCoins Twilight Photographer

My personal experience is rolls from the mint sell better as rolls. The chance of finding a premium high grade example in those rolls is very minor. The only other reason I can think of to open them is to look for errors but that is also a slim chance.

8. TomCorona

TomCorona New Member

There is never a bad time to take a profit.

It's difficult trying to figure out how we have gotten where we are as a society, isn't it?:goofer:

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

And during the period between 1979 and about 1992 that 1979 proof set was around $18. A purchase from the mint and then flipping it would have one, resulted in more money than waiting for the future, and two provided more capital that could have been put to work to raise even more money. In the long run you usually make more money constantly turning your money at a small percentage each time than just sitting and hoping for a killing after a long period.

10. 6StepStucky

6StepStucky Member

What we have here is a classic; you buy and save for future investment, key word being future. As such you want your investment to be as close to original as possible. Then you want to be one of the first to have a high grade example so you can supply all the wanters in the market.
    The question is, are u a gambler? How fast do you need the return to invest in more items? If you open the bag/roll now do you have an outsource for enough to recoup you investment? What happens once you open it and find nothing special?
    There are individuals that will spend all the money on a high grade specimen, and there are others that will spend the money on a chance on finding a high grade specimen at a much lower cost.
    Understand this, the higher the risk, the higher the rewards. At least that is the way it is suppose to work. Open the roll or bag and find nothing, you have face. Find a high grade example and you more than paid for your investment. Save the bag or roll for a future date and sell for a profit. What would you be happy with.
    You really need to be careful here, unless paying face this market often sells at a higher price point in the beginning of its run and shortly thereafter the price point falls. Know what you are investing in.

Draft saved Draft deleted