What's best to coin roll hunt through?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Dilly dollar, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Dilly dollar

Dilly dollar Active Member

eliminating half dollars. What would be best out of pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters. Usually I do a 25$ box of pennies or a 100$ box of nickels, but what would be the use of searching quarters or dimes? What's the possibility of getting something silver? So what's best to look through (luck wise).

Thanks,
    DD

Endeavor likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I have all ways had the best luck searching Pennies. Nickels, Quarters and Dimes from pocket change. except a heavy counter clash Dime. Silver in Denver is hard to find.

Soapy Smith and Endeavor like this.
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I have usually have good luck with hunting dimes for silver 1-2 in $250 worth.

5. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

I've found some silver in dimes and quarters, but find that quarters have some very hard to find types such as 1969-d with proof type reverses.

6. Dilly dollar

I did not think you would find to much silver anymore out of coin roll hunting dimes or quarters. A lot of people know what they are. I'd almost consider two silver dimes out of a 250$ box of dimes very lucky. That's 1/125

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    spirityoda likes this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

There are so many people searching rolls & boxes these days that it won't be long before EVERY SINGLE BANK in the country will be placing a surcharge on every order. Where these people "dump" the discards is immaterial. What comes around, goes around.

If Coin Star is a stock corporation, maybe I should buy some of their shares because that will likely be the only place left to dump coins.

Chris

Chimmychanga and Dilly dollar like this.
  8. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

I have the best luck searching nickel boxes. I pull anything pre-1960. I can get between 25-30 per box. Much more rewarding than other denominations to me.

9. Dilly dollar

You do have a good point cpm9ball. I like to just open the tops of the machine rolled one without ripping it, push them out with a pencil, look through them, put them back in the roll and close the top.

10. Dilly dollar

Agilmore01 I only keep the 1942-1945 war nickels and the buffalo nickels. Last time I hunted nickels I got two buffalo nickels.

spirityoda likes this.
  11. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

When I go that route, I may only get 1-2 per box. I lose interest then. I am a nickel lover. There are so many varieties during 1938-1959 that I get them all and search for the varieties when I get a chance.

12. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

well it all depends why you are searching rolls ? for varieties cents and nickels. silver... dimes and halves.

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It doesn't matter whether you re-roll them or not. Do you think most banks will take your word for it? How many times have you found a Canadian cent or nickel in a roll? What about buttons?! The banks will still have to pay to have them ripped open, counted and rolled again.

Chris

14. Dilly dollar

15. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

One or two silver dimes a box, they are the quickest coins to search in my experience. It takes me takes me around a half an hour a box, if not sometimes less.
    a coin roll hunting.jpg

That is the method I do, I have done a total of around $40,000 in dimes over a course of around two years and nobody has complained. They told me that they just put the dimes into bags and send them back to the rolling company anyway so I should not take much time re-rolling them.

Hope1275 and Dilly dollar like this.
  16. Dilly dollar

I did loose interest because my grandma sias I remember when I'd get change in the 30s and it would be Mercury dimes and buffalo nickels.

coinman1234 likes this.
  17. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

my banks do not take rolled coin anymore, they tell customers to unroll them and dump the coins in the machine...

spirityoda likes this.
  18. Dilly dollar

You know how weird that sounds my bank said the total opposite.

spirityoda likes this.
  19. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

i guess they trust the machine more than the customers....

20. Dilly dollar

At your bank maybe.

21. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I got six dollars the other day, from the bank. I Fed reserve bank of KC obv.jpg looked over and saw an old coin roll. Fed reserve bank of KC rev.jpg I am excited about the other 5.50!

Draft saved Draft deleted