What's a good price for this gold sticker CAC Mercury?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by DysfunctionalVeteran, Aug 20, 2016.

1. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

Right. The range I gave was half to one and half grade ABOVE the high end for that grade.

For example, MS-64.
    MS-64 no bean = under MS-64 & 2/3
    MS-64 green bean = MS-64 & 2/3 to borderline MS-65.
    MS-64 gold bean = MS-65 & 1/3 to MS-66 & 1/3

Even that might be a bit liberal. Maybe it's 1/3 to 1 & 1/3.

Either way, I'd say that for any given gold bean, there's about a 10-15% chance it jumps two grades. More than likely, it would go up one grade.

To MercuryBen's position on the toning, even though it's original, it's still mottled. I would say it's neutral toning and adds no value to the coin beyond the base grade. If anything, it holds it back from the 67-70 range.

The coin would be a MS-66 (FSB), though high end of MS-66, but MS-66 nevertheless.

Personally, I believe that on higher end coins, it's less so that the TPGs are undergrading than they've altered the standards for the higher grades. So, CAC might think a coin is MS-67 by ANA standards, but by PCGS standards, it might not be. Maybe a PCGS MS-67 would be closer to an ANA MS-68+.

Again, the reason people pay a premium for TPG slabbed coins is based upon the perception that the grade is fair for the coin. The reason people pay a bean premium is the coin appears to be on the high-end of range for the grade. It's very unlikely that coins would jump two grades.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MercuryBen

MercuryBen Well-Known Member

I don't give a damn about stickers and prefer to buy coins without. I
    I agree that the toning is about neutral in value, but strongly disagree that the toning holds this coin back from 67. As someone who appreciates originality, I would take that coin in a heartbeat over a dipped white 66FB. The below coin from my collection has what you would call "mottled" toning, and it went 67+FB. A better photograph of OP's coin would make the toning look quite nice.

81063464_51868000_2200.jpg

Paul M. and Paddy54 like this.
  4. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Imo toning cannot and does not decrease a grade. If the toning is ugly or neutral it won't cause a net grade. If however the color is on the spectacular side it can net grade bump it up. Heavy dark toning is a different beast though as depending on the grader they might hit it a point if they have an inkling its hiding something

ddddd and MercuryBen like this.
  5. DysfunctionalVeteran

DysfunctionalVeteran Oddly enough

I actually bought this coin on eBay for $103. It's in hand right now and I see absolutely nothing wrong with it through a 5x on the OBV and 4-5 tiny dings on the REV.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted