What's a good price for this gold sticker CAC Mercury?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by DysfunctionalVeteran, Aug 20, 2016.

1. DysfunctionalVeteran

DysfunctionalVeteran Oddly enough

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Depends...are you buying or selling?

MKent and Paul M. like this.
  4. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Some may disagree but I think a gold bean is worth a one-grade jump. It depends, I suppose, on how much credence an individual collector gives to CAC.

Paul M. likes this.
  5. DysfunctionalVeteran

Let's say I'm buying and selling to make it easy.

6. Santinidollar

I checked Coin World prices. MS65 is $25. A jump to MS66 is $65. That chart usually runs a bit low. Check them out on eBay since it seems to be a common date.

7. DysfunctionalVeteran

True, but how many gold stickers exist on certain years? Again, all subjective and leaves another whole catagory to delve into collecting.

Gold CAC stickers on old holders might be a fad or they might be the next big rare item that people really desire.

8. Santinidollar

Somebody correct me if I'm having a brain fart, but doesn't CAC say only about 2,000 coins have gotten the gold sticker?

Omegaraptor likes this.
  9. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I'll trade you a whole load of gold stickers for that coin if you like. :)

IMO, the holder offers a little collectability in itself, but not much. If you look at it that way, you can consider the coin + holder + sticker as an exonumia item of sorts.

Otherwise, I would buy or sell the item based on the merits of the coin. This coin, I don't think I'd have any problem with it in a MS66 holder.

Santinidollar likes this.
  10. Santinidollar

Just scanned eBay. No gold beans in that coin. There's quite a noticeable price jump between MS66 and 67. I have a gold stickered $1 Liberty gold that an informed gold coin collector has suggested was two grades low. Maybe some Mercury veterans will check in, DV.

11. Santinidollar

12. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

The mottling keeps this from getting above MS66, IMO. I'd say $50-65 buying and $$80-105 selling. I'd suspect someone would ask $180 on eBay for it, and claim it's MS67, but it would never transact at that price.

13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Someone selling will likely want 67 money or close to it. 37 Mercs with FSB have a total of 8 gold beans. 3 are MS 65 and 1 MS 66.

No one but CAC knows what it actually takes to get a gold but they don't hand them out much at all. A lot of people believe it is a two point jump others believe at least 1 point that would sticker at the higher grade as well. Which camp is correct, I don't know but for MS coins I tend to believe a two point jump is necessary since very few gold stickers exist in most series with everything they've looked at.

2k something sounds right. There just aren't many at all and its a pain with how they have it to add them all up, but as an example business strike barber dimes as a series only have 38 gold stickers total.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  14. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

$125 because you're either selling to someone who is buying or buying from someone who is selling. Otherwise $50 buy, $160 sell.

15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's a nice looking coin but I don't care for the toning so that's a killer to me, graded, stickered or not. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

16. NorthKorea

I think it's more a function of what CAC does, what CAC costs and who can submit to them.

$12.50 per coin to have a "bump" if CAC deems a gold bean is appropriate really only makes sense in cases where resubmitting the coin isn't worth the associated fees.

Business strike examples.
    There are 348 gold beans issued for the Mercury series. 8049 greens.
    273 gold have been issued for Morgans. 64403 greens.
    38 gold for Barber dimes. 2583 greens.
    31 gold Franklins. 4762 greens.
    168 gold Walkers. 17441 greens.

My understanding is the green bean means the grade is right. The gold bean is if CAC views the coin as higher than the grade assigned. So, a gold bean, on average, will raise the coin a full grade.

17. MercuryBen

MercuryBen Well-Known Member

You can tell this coin has gorgeous, original toning that is not fully captured by the photograph. $100 coin at retail would be completely fair. If cracked, this has a good chance at pcgs 67fb. If crossed, I think it would go 66fb or 66+fb. Of course, either of those options will take some time and money.

The 37 is very common, so I probably would recommend just buying one in a 67fb holder for low to mid 100s.

Ben

Paul M. likes this.
  18. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

As a buyer the sticker means nada! So if I was in the market I personally wouldn't pay any more than book,unless the eye appeal made it worth the extra dollars to me. I have purchased only one slabbed coin that had a sticker and it was removed before the money changed hands. Buy the coin not the sticker.

MercuryBen and MKent like this.
  19. baseball21

There's truth to that, though if one were to get a gold bean it is certainly much cheaper and faster to go that route than waiting around for a TPG submission or having enough coins to do another TPG submission. Certainly with the case of a lot of mercs it is only worth trying in the mid to upper ms levels.

Those numbers just kind of confirm to me that it is more than a one point grade bump. Mercs seem to clearly be the easiest to get a gold bean with which may be impacted by the thin grade to grade price spreads but the other series are all under 1 percent gold sticker rates for what gets stickered and morgans are under a half percent even though they have clearly seen a massive number of those. As far as I know they've never actually said how much under graded a gold has to be so all we can really do is guess but since they are already getting cherry picked examples sent to them it would seem if it was just 1 point undergraded that more than half a percentage of the Morgans they stickered should have a gold.

20. NorthKorea

Why? Are you saying that you suspect PCGS & NGC under-grade coins submitted to them more than 1% of the time? If anything, the ratio reinforces, to me, that CAC feels the TPGs, for those coins submitted to CAC, are fairly good at what they're paid to do, which is grade coins.

Edit: Remember, CAC is there to basically point out which coins are at the higher end of their grade range (large scratch v medium scratch; full luster v slightly impaired luster). Those coins which are at the high end of grade get a green bean. If a coin looks like it should be a higher grade, it gets a gold bean.

I *highly* doubt a gold bean was intended to mean "two grade bump" insomuch as it was intended to mean "half to one and a half grade bump."

21. baseball21

Yes I do believe they do. I can't give an exact number but I'd say probably 5 percent are under graded and 5% over graded at any given time. They are extremely consistent within their own standards though.

But also remember that even if 5 percent of what CAC sees got a gold bean that doesn't mean it is 5 percent of what is graded, not every coin in a series gets sent to them. For example you could have the TPGs grade 100 coins and 10 go to CAC with 2 getting a gold bean. That would be 20 percent of CAC coins but only 2 percent of what was graded.

CAC for the most part gets the best of the best ones already that people feel will sticker or have a great chance too (but yes some people blindly send everything). So they're already only getting a percentage of what was graded in the levels where it makes sense to try for a sticker. Then you account for the fact that not everything they see stickers in any color and from what does under 1 percent is getting golds in almost every series.

When you really break it down you're probably talking about 1/10th of a percent or less of coins graded in a given series with a gold sticker and less then half a percent of the coins they're seeing. It's definitely more than a half grade bump and almost everyone will agree that it is at least a coin that would sticker at the next grade up. I've never really seen a gold sticker that made me say "that looks properly graded"

Draft saved Draft deleted