Whats a good price for a missing clad layer dime?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Noahqto, Mar 14, 2018.

1. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Perhaps it should be clarified that this isn't something just any Joe Schmoe off the street can successfully do. Unless one genuinely knows what they're doing, can reliably grade to their preferred TPG standards, and is willing to shoulder the risk, attempting such a thing can be a recipe for disaster. Of course a little luck doesn't hurt, but the greater point is that this isn't something for the new.

Oldhoopster and cpm9ball like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Noahqto

Noahqto Member

I get what you're saying and with my minimal knowledge of coin grades i'd never attempt this.. i'd probably say 64's were 68's knowing me lol. I was just interested in the process :)

cpm9ball likes this.
  4. BooksB4Coins

I fully understand and no offense was intended. My post was made in a general sense for anyone who may happen to read this as opposed to being directed at any one person in particular.

Unfortunately, lots of folks are under the impression that windfalls are both easy and the norm in this hobby, but fail to realize that short dumb luck, those able to do well also just happen to possess the knowledge and/or ability necessary to make the best of it. :)

cpm9ball likes this.
  5. Noahqto

Noahqto Member

No offense taken. And definitely a good idea on your part to post that.. I've seen so many people, presumably rather young, thinking they struck gold everytime they find something that has some strange PMD. And I truly feel bad for them and I hope that they don't get turned off the hobby do to the mistakes we all (or at least I) made early on in this wonderful hobby. :)

6. BooksB4Coins

We are on the same page, my young friend... :)

dwhiz and Noahqto like this.
  7. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I looked , I don't like the black spots either, but I did some neat looking coins.
    Thanks for bringing it up.

8. Noahqto

Noahqto Member

No problem. The seller has a few other interesting errors too. I may make a bid but due to the black spots i definitely won't get into a bidding war lol.

9. Noahqto

Noahqto Member

I decided I wasn't going over $40 and it Sold for $57. Time to search the bay for another (preferbly without the spots this time!) Thanks for the help/suggestions guys :)

10. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

To the best of my knowledge, the mint didn't sell Ikes in bags, but I was able to buy some from collectors / investors with enough foresight to acquire and hold onto some.

11. Noahqto

Noahqto Member

Ah I see. Thanks for the info!

Draft saved Draft deleted