Whats a good price for a missing clad layer dime?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Noahqto, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Noahqto

Noahqto Member

Hi all, ive had my eye on an auction that ends in 4 hours on ebay.. Its a ANACS ms64 RB 2001 D dime missing the clad on both sides. I have no idea what my max bid on this coin should be, any advice is appreciated! :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I "moused over" the close-ups of the coin, and I'm not particularly fond of all of the black spots on both sides of the coin. If I were bidding (which I'm not!) I'd try to get it as cheaply as possible.

Personally, I'd be concerned that those black spots might get worse. I don't care what ANACS thinks of it!

Chris

Noahqto likes this.
  4. Noahqto

Noahqto Member

Mistake post please ignore.

5. Noahqto

Noahqto Member

Thanks for the advice! I noticed the spots but never thought they may begin to spread.. I may place a bid but nothing above $25? Or do you think that's still too high? Thanks again!

6. cpm9ball

If you're using a sniping service, you can set that as your max bid. You might get it cheaper if there are no other bids higher than the current one.

Chris

Fjpod and Noahqto like this.
  7. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

$25 is not too high . . .

Noahqto likes this.
  8. Noahqto

Noahqto Member

Alright I'll try that. Thanks again and I'll post an update to let you know how it goes! :)

9. Noahqto

Noahqto Member

How much would you suggest paying? I dont have any idea how much this coin is worth, but I've always been interested in this type of error and hoped I might be able to grab this coin for a decent price.

10. cpm9ball

It's coincidental that this coin is a 2001-D 10c. I happen to have a 2001-D Kennedy missing the reverse clad layer. I found it in a Mint bag, and it is just as lustrous today as it was when I found it.
    2001-D 50c REV Slab.jpg

Again, I don't like all of the black spots on the dime, but that is just my opinion.

Chris

Noahqto likes this.
  11. Noahqto

Noahqto Member

That is one beautiful coin! Can't imagine how a half made it out of the mint like that. Great find.

12. cpm9ball

Agreed! They're easier to spot unless the reverse is "face down" on the production line.

FWIW, it was one-of-two (known) that were discovered in the $100 Mixed P&D Mint bags. The person who found the other sold it raw on eBay for $555.

Chris

Seattlite86 and Noahqto like this.
  13. Noahqto

Noahqto Member

Here I was thinking those bags of halves were a waste money... LOL guess I was wrong!! :p

Seattlite86 likes this.
  14. ToughCOINS

When going through original mint bags, the odds of finding something very special are pretty darned low, however, when you do find something, it is almost always in fantastic condition.

I believe the only error coin I ever found in all of the mint bags I searched was an Ike Dollar struck through reeding . . . just one error coin, but a really nice one.

Noahqto likes this.
  15. Noahqto

Noahqto Member

Sounds like a nice coin! Have you posted any pics on the forums?

16. ToughCOINS

Not of that coin. It's been tucked away in a SDB for perhaps 20+ years.

17. Noahqto

Noahqto Member

Ah I see. They used to sell ike's in mint bags too? I didn't realize that.

18. cpm9ball

Don't get me wrong. I loved buying the bags from the Mint, but they're not unlike playing a slot machine when looking for errors. I also bought bags of SQ's and Sac dollars, and I had far greater success finding high-grade specimens. As a rule, MS68 was the optimal grade from bags, and I usually sold them for $150+ which made the purchase and submission for grading very profitable.

Actually, I preferred buying bags in larger quantities because it gave you better odds of finding something worthwhile and reducing the initial purchase price at the same time.

BAG IT ALL!.jpg

Chris

Noahqto likes this.
  19. Noahqto

Noahqto Member

Woah.. doesn't sound like a bad deal! Didn't realize people would pay that high a premium for modern 68's! have you ever found any other errors worth mentioning in mint bags?

20. cpm9ball

If you are able, check the NGC and/or PCGS Census numbers for P&D business strikes (not satin finish). You will get a good idea which ones are scarce (especially for the Registry Sets).

I've found a few error progressions with multiples of each stage, but I'd rather not discuss them at this time. I plan on putting together presentations for some of them.

Chris

Noahqto likes this.
  21. Noahqto

Noahqto Member

Thanks I'll check the census numbers now. And I gotcha can't wait to see them in the future :)

Draft saved Draft deleted