whats a good coin to invest in?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mikep, Jan 11, 2015.

1. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

You got that right Guy , but anyone who buys stocks solely on the advice from someone on a coin forum , well you get my drift . Especially when everyone is predicting another 2008 soon .

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Or post it in the PM forum. All roads from there lead to wallstreet.

saltysam-1, gronnh20 and rzage like this.
  4. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I've yet to read a prediction from any so-called investors on this site that have come true in any sense.

beef1020, rzage and Kasia like this.
  5. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

That may the case for anyone since it seems unlikely they read all the predictions made on CT since 2004.

6. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Really??? I disagree, there have been a select few, Chris(Medoraman) and Jim (DesertGem) come to mind that have been consistantly correct as long as I have been reading their posts. Both have a strong financial backround and have been spot on with the trends in bullion, strenth of the dollar, demand levels, etc.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
    saltysam-1 likes this.
  7. rzage

I've noticed that too , as both have solid financial backgrounds like you said . But most , me included have no financial background other than what I read . That's why no one should take stock advice from someone they don't know on a coin forum . Like any investment it's ultimately your own decision that should be researched . Now if you want to know about machining steel . ;)

8. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

On topic, I like mid grade (VF to XF) circulated pre 1925 type 2 Standing Liberty Quarters. Get ones with as strong dates as possible with nice circulation cameo surfaces. These are scarce on the ground and seemed to always get strong value.

Good luck k on your quest mikep

mikep likes this.
  9. mikep

mikep Active Member

Got in at $92, thanks. Just got about 40 shares of blk

10. mikep

mikep Active Member

I think I've decided on a 1928 peace dollar as my first. I believe it's a non 'S' type. I'll follow up at a later date.

11. rzage

Haven't 20th century key dates been taking a hit , ie going down lately as a lot of dealers have ample supplies ?

12. mikep

mikep Active Member

Well I wasn't looking to spend that $20k plus coin me flute suggested lol. I'm taking a couple hundred here and there.

13. re-collect

re-collect Active Member

I just started collecting coins again after a 20 year hiatus. The one thing I did notice is that in general, most coins do not seem to have appreciated all that much, if any. What I have noticed is that for silver and gold coins, appreciation for the most part can be attributed to rising precious metals prices.
    My belief is that for the average collector, enjoying the hobby should be the primary consideration. If or when you do sell, you will recover some of your money, all of your money, or make a profit....so there' no reason to sweat those details unless you're a dealer.

beef1020 likes this.
  14. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I bought quite a few coins during my previous collecting days in the late 90's, and if I could go back to that time I would buy more late 18th/early 19th century type coins. For example, I bought a PCGS certified G4 1794 Liberty Cap for $100 in 1996 that is now trading in the $300-$400 range. Some of my other coins such as walkers and early commemoratives haven't done nearly as well. In the long run there will always be demand for classic type coins, and if they are genuinely scarce the price can only go up. Large size currency fits into this category as well as the survival rates even for the "common" notes are extremely low.

15. jackhd

jackhd Active Member

I have been considering this very same question myself and I'll share my conclusion. I did assemble a complete Ike dollar BU/proof set (32 coins) thinking that we aren't likely to see another large dollar series. You can put such a set together for less than $300. I have also completed the Susan B. Anthony series for a few different reasons. First, it is the very first attempt at a small dollar replacement for currency and had a very short life. Also, it's the only silver colored small dollar. It's the first time real female is portrayed on a coin and includes the whole history of this early pioneer for women's rights. This series has a couple of different versions that will become harder to get as time goes by. Finally, a complete set is only 18 coins many of which may still be found at banks. The whole set can be purchased for $300 or less. Neither of these two coins are valuable presently, but they share a common (except for 75-76 bicentenial Ikes) reverse of the Apollo 11 astronaut patch which is another landmark point of history. They are exceptionally beautiful coins and I find myself smiling each time I bring them out to look at. From my perspective, its for these reasons that these two series are a total homerun with an honest potential for appreciation over the next 50 - 100 years. Best of luck, Jackhd28

16. jackhd

jackhd Active Member

I have been considering this very same question myself and I'll share my conclusion. I did assemble a complete Ike dollar BU/proof set (32 coins) thinking that we aren't likely to see another large dollar series. You can put such a set together for less than $300. I have also completed the Susan B. Anthony series for a few different reasons. First, it is the very first attempt at a small dollar replacement for currency and had a very short life. Also, it's the only silver colored small dollar. It's the first time real female is portrayed on a coin and includes the whole history of this early pioneer for women's rights. This series has a couple of different versions that will become harder to get as time goes by. Finally, a complete set is only 18 coins many of which may still be found at banks. The whole set can be purchased for $300 or less. Neither of these two coins are valuable presently, but they share a common (except for 75-76 bicentenial Ikes) reverse of the Apollo 11 astronaut patch which is another landmark point of history. They are exceptionally beautiful coins and I find myself smiling each time I bring them out to look at. From my perspective, its for these reasons that these two series are a total homerun with an honest potential for appreciation over the next 50 - 100 years. Best of luck, Jackhd28

17. jackhd

jackhd Active Member

18. re-collect

re-collect Active Member

How many of us have 50 - 100 years left, LOL. I do liike the Ike's, and it's a cheap set to complete...and maybe, our kids/grandkids will enjoy them or make a few bucks as well?

19. jackhd

jackhd Active Member

My whole idea was to leave something interesting for a future generation. Other than those who can afford "investment grade" coins, most of us will be collecting for the pleasure of collecting coins that we find interesting, rather than as a retirement fund. I don't have fifty years left but fifty years from now, when someone finds my coin collections, they be curious about who put the sets together and the times that I lived in. Jackhd28

20. OldGoldGuy

OldGoldGuy Members Only Jacket

Hmmm, that doesn't really make sense, and isnt possible. Unless you can't read. Blindly throw a dart and you will hit a thread where a debate on whether silver/gold is going to go up/down that week. If you read the thread, the people arguing one side turned out to be correct, and the other side was wrong. So, if you can in fact read, you have read predictions or analysis' that turned out right. Sorry Nietzsche.

21. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

I am so glad that at least some people don't actually believe that this show is NOT STAGED!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted