whats a good coin to invest in?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mikep, Jan 11, 2015.

1. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Mint State Carson City morgan dollars would be great

mikep likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I'm just wondering on these coins you've never lost money on , did you adjust for inflation . Buying gold back in the late '50s at $35 sounds great on paper , but if you factor inflation in , you actually lost buying power . Thus money .

4. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

I am thinking that perhaps the SBA will be collectable ... in comparison to the Presidential dollars. Those Pres issues will, IMO, beat the SBA in lack of movement. But the SBAs will be a close second.

5. rzage

I'd say any nice 1795 Flowing hair half in a no problem slab in VF or higher , any R-5 or greater Bust half again with no problems .

6. mikep

mikep Active Member

what's the difference between an 1928 "s" peace dollar coin and one without an "S" and how can I tell the difference? Thanks

7. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

One has an S (reverse, around 8 o'clock-ish - San Fran mint) and the other, a Philadelphia minted coin, does not. However, on very low grade examples the S can be very faint to worn completely, or on mid to higher grade coins removed in an attempt to make a lower value coin appear to be its higher value brother. Care should be taken, especially if buying raw.

coinman1234 likes this.
  8. mikep

mikep Active Member

9. ROLLJUNKIE

ROLLJUNKIE Active Member

I've never lost money on coins either. Never sold a coin to realize those potential loses so TECHNICALLY I've never lost money on a coin.

Lottery as an investment? Is that what's going on when I'm waiting in line for ten minutes to buy a soda? Professional scratch off players at work?

10. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

I've seen this movie before, and the sequel... And yet, here I am, reaching for the popcorn.

miedbe7 and Kasia like this.
  11. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Any coin you would like to look at during the time you have it.

12. rzage

[QUOTE="TreasureSlugN1851, post: 2062803, member:

Thats just an example... any TYPE1 Double Eagle in any slabbed grade from AU to MS harder to find coins lower grades. 1850 philly is a really undervalued coin in my opinion!

[/QUOTE]

Where have I heard that before , oh yes from about 5 solicitors trying to sell them from 2008 on . Did they go up from then , yes . Did they go up to cover inflation , no . So while the coin lost no money it did loose the buyer money not just in inflation but also with a weaker dollar . A double loss .

13. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

I'd say any of the barber coinage will be worth substantially more in the near future, especially barber halves and then on down. However, no matter what we recommend you have to do your homework or have someone else do it for you. You don't want to pay too much, or else you might not see any profit from selling it in your life time. The question of what will be hot is a huge undertaking to address, since there are so many coins with potential. You can only become familiar with these opportunities not from advice but more likely from dedicated and passionate pursuit in the hobby. Someone trying to hop in and outsmart smarter collectors just doesn't happen often or at all I'd argue. But if you want some general advice, don't buy too high, know that key dates have done historically well, and be skeptical of know-it-alls that offer to-good-to-be-true advice

14. BooksB4Coins

Slug,

And perhaps you would be in a better spot right now had you actually bought and sold this coin instead of playing Mr. hotshot hindsight investor. Of course at the age of 11-12, you probably had better things to do than spending thousands on a coin.

One constant (other than the nonsense in general) throughout this thread seems to be if anyone dares to question your, ahem, wisdom, you insinuate something negative in regards to their experiences, yet when @Vegas Vic hand feeds you the opportunity to show your brilliance, you balk; put up or, with all due respect, shut up. Pretend to be whatever you wish, young fellow, but don't expect us all to buy into it.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  15. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Well, if you are talking about the recent past, say after 2000, and in western countries like the USA, that is just plain wrong. inflation in this country is quite low past few years.

That doesn't change your point that inflation is an important consideration, but you should at least check your perception with the reality. http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/FP.CPI.TOTL.ZG

Are you in Venezuela or something?

16. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Well, bye.

17. ROLLJUNKIE

ROLLJUNKIE Active Member

Stock picks tomorrow... Sneak preview, you should have bought coca cola and apple.

mikep likes this.
  18. BooksB4Coins

Whelp... that was quick.

Either way, slug, all you did was to prove the point with that fine retort. Instead of taking everything as an attack, I do wish you could've constructively engaged, but perhaps this was expecting too much. My apologies to you.

19. rzage

Still good stocks to buy , Apple is still underpriced and Coke has been giving good dividends .

20. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Oh, Rusty, never advise anyone to buy tech stocks. Thats not how you make friends.

rzage likes this.
  21. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

My advice key date coins like a chain cent a 1796 quarter a 1796-7 half a 1794 $1 a 1878-cc trade etc these are all must have coins to complete sets especially type sets for many. They may not be huge returns depend on how long you hold but there will be a return that or coins with killer eye appeal for the series or grade those better examples will always find a ready market

Draft saved Draft deleted