whats a good coin to invest in?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mikep, Jan 11, 2015.

1. mikep

mikep Active Member

Whats a good coin to buy to hold for a long time to presumably be worth a lot in a bunch of years from now? I saw some coin on a pawn show that was worth some $20k. Anything like that out there that isn't too expensive now?

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

coins that you love to look at. investing in coins is a gamble. it all depends how much money do you expect to spend ? super rare coins will appreciate in value. how much money do you want to spend now ? that "pawn stars" show was staged. not to many smart people walk into a pawn shop to sell their very rare coins.

4. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Think of coin investing like buying a house with intent to sell for greater value later. Buy something you really like because if it doesn't sell, you're stuck with it for life, or going to lose a lot of $.

spirityoda likes this.
  5. mikep

mikep Active Member

I have been liking the susan B anthony Silver dollars, it doesn't have to necessarily be that one or a precious metal for scrap type, but anything along that lines. I'm no good with the details of which make a coin good or the grading, my thing has been currency, and I'm not great at that either.

I would say a couple of hundred dollars at the most, but something I can reasonably expect to be worth more one day. I know we can't predict the "great one" but, you know....

6. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I feel like Morgan Dollars are a safe bet. But like everyone else has said. There is no way to tell. Coins are like the stock markets, there is no way to tell where it will go.

mikep likes this.
  7. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Some will probably dispute this, but go to the US Mint website and check out the coins there. The chances are good there since precious metals are down.

mikep likes this.
  8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

the best coins to invest in are the ones that you love to look at, like to learn about, ones to show off. if you are doing it just for investment you will never be happy with coins.

Seattlite86, Gilbert, rooman9 and 2 others like this.
  9. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

As a rule of thumb, you do not buy coins as an investment!!! It is a hobby. Few people can succeed at even being a coin dealer for a living, let alone pick a sure fire winner as an investment piece. Like the art market now, it seems like only the high-end stuff are sure-bets, if that even exists. But like any bubble, it will pop. Just don't get caught holding that bag. Best of luck!

edit - Oh, I forgot to mention, and don't take this the wrong way, but investment ideas/advice usually shoudn't come from shows about pawn shops. :)

geekpryde and Seattlite86 like this.
  10. mikep

mikep Active Member

Thanks for the recommendations. I gather I'd want a silver dollar, those are the ones I like. What year is a good one?

Bret Swanie likes this.
  11. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

also big value/money does not grow in value over night. It might take 10-30 years to see a profit. it can be all about rarity, grade, and eye appeal. if you have a combination of all these you should be alright.

superzimm likes this.
  12. mikep

mikep Active Member

I used the pawn show as an example. But I've seen them here mostly and at my local coin shop.

13. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

Seattlite86 likes this.
  14. mikep

mikep Active Member

Ok when everyone is done lecturing me on my intent, can anyone else suggest what's a good American dollar type coin to start with that may also be a good investment? Thanks

15. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Morgan dollars. years ? well you can look that up. key dates and semi key dates. different mints. Carson City mint high grade Morgans always do well but are not cheap. buy a "red book" so you can do the research on the dates, mintages, and mint marks.

16. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

You will make your money when you buy the coin not sell it. What I mean by that is research the coin and prices.Look for when a coin/ series is in a lull or bottom of market. If I was forced to give a spefic date. 1885 or 89 CC. BUT they are in favor right now so prices are high. I personally like $10 CC gold

17. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

If I had to pick a series that I think has potential I'd go with Eisenhower Dollars. Not run of the mill BU album fillers but high grade, gem specimens. A complete gem collection can still be obtained with mint sets, excluding the first two years, which can still be bought raw for barely more than a pittance. I know there is no intrinsic value, aside from the BU/Proof 40% silvers. But if people start taking notice of the series, you'll have something special. If not, well you're not out an insane amount as could be the case if you plop down a bundle of money on something that can evaporate with any gold/silver price collapse (not that I'd bet on that happening).

If gold is your thing, maybe take a look at high-grade MS, or possibly proof, gold dollars of all three types.

Finally, if you're keen on the silver dollar, look at Seated dollars that are problem-free VF-AU examples. Collectors in general still don't appreciate how few of these remain from their original mintage. These are a nice alternative to the go-to Morgan/Peace dollars and the sometimes prohibitively expensive Bust Dollars (excluding low grade examples).

And FYI, I don't think coins can't appreciate in value. It's just never a good primary reason to buy them IMHO. I replied the way I did in hopes that someone flush with cash doesn't take the first few replies on an internet forum as good investment advice. One would more than likely regret the decision only months out when seeking a return, as if it were a common investment vehicle, and find that fair market offers from another collector might be ~80% and a dealer ~60% of what was originally paid. And that's if you have really good stuff, not normal dreck found in a lot of collections assembled through impulsive purchases and questionable venues. It's a good thing though you asked here first!

Good luck with your collecting/investing :)

geekpryde, spirityoda and mikep like this.
  18. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

1893-S, 1889-CC, 1895 Proof......any of these in MS grades would be fine.

Chris

spirityoda and mikep like this.
  19. sodude

sodude Well-Known Member

Some people think it can't or shouldn't be done. They'll lecture you to settle for buying coins you like.

The rest of us are busy accumulating the future $20k coins. If we tell you and everyone else who reads this thread what they are, then we'll have a lot of competition for some very low mintage products.

20. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

Any key date ,low mintage high graded coin ..or rare double die 1955 , 1909s vdb , or how much your looking to invest

mikep likes this.
  21. susannyny

susannyny Member

Morgans are a great choice. My advice would be to set a budget and then pick the highest grade of a date you can afford.

superzimm likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted