Whatever happened to Dimitre Genov/Ancient Auction House?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Remember the world of ancients on eBay about 15 years ago? There was a dealer who sold many (overcleaned) Roman denarii each week by the name of Dimitre Genov and his company was called Ancient Auction House. Whatever happened to this company?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Marsyas Mike and Roman Collector like this.
  4. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Sometimes when I buy coins off eBay, the seller sends the original purchase paperwork, which is nice.

Yesterday I got a batch of three in the mail with paperwork from "Ancient Auction House" (cardboard flips dated 2006). When I was searching for information, I found this thread posted by RC a while back. So I thought I'd bring it back up.

"Oh no, Bulgaria!" I told myself after a little research. But it seems this Genov was a reliable seller, according to other references to him I found online.

But still, my first "Black Sea Hoard" coin, and that makes me a bit suspicious. Back in 1987 when I first collected ancients, the Black Sea Hoard of fakes was all over World Coin News (along with ads selling them, I seem to recall). Ever since then I avoided these, because I could never tell the fakes from the real.

Now I have one. One of the things going for it, paradoxically, is how terribly off-center the obverse is - I'd think the forgers would call a "do over" on one this bad.

The Gordian III and the Philip II Apollo/horseman look good to me - I have several of each type, and nothing screamed "fake" to me. But I do not know about the Mesembria diobol. Feel free to give me the bad news...

_lot Mesemrbia, Gord Phil lot Aug 2020 (0).jpg

_lot Mesemrbia, Gord Phil lot Aug 2020 (1).jpg
    Mesembria - Diobol lot Aug 2020 (0).jpg

Mesembria, Thrace Diobol
    (c. 450-350 B.C.)

Crested Corinthian helmet facing / M-E-T-A in four quarters of a wheel, surrounded by border of radiating lines
    SNG BM 268 ff.; SNG Cop 653; Sear GCV I 1673.
    (1.27 grams / 11 x 9 mm)

Edessa, Ryro, Orfew and 3 others like this.
  5. Roman Collector

I think his coins were genuine, but that his firm represented a clearing house for dispersing coins found by metal detectorists in the area -- perhaps in the former Yugoslavia after the civil war there.

Volodya, Orfew, DonnaML and 1 other person like this.
  6. Marsyas Mike

From the stray bits I found online - collecting forums, etc. - this seems to be the consensus. I found he was consulted in a Celator article on Thracian imitations, so he appeared to be knowledgeable, trusted, etc.

Your post here was the first thing I came up with connecting AAH and Genov - so thank you!

Orfew and Roman Collector like this.
  7. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

I've bought many coins from AAH.

The collapse of the Soviet bloc in 1989 opened the floodgates for ancient coins from Eastern Europe, and for the next decade many dealers--especially those with connections in Eastern Europe--imported and sold coins by the millions. Exporters often bought them uncleaned, in bulk, for ridiculously cheap prices from farmers who'd discovered them in their fields and had no idea what they were selling for in the West; at one time I recall hearing that the going rate was around $.50 per coin flat rate--LRBs, anontiniani, sestertii, it didn't matter. This, combined with the growth of eBay, was the Golden Age of ancient coin collection, (as many old-timers will tell you with a wistful, faraway look in their eyes). (But keep in mind, too, that many of these old-timers still think bubblegum music was pretty neat.)

But eventually many of the Eastern bloc sources realized the value of what they were exporting, large stashes that had been built up over many years were disbursed, the supply dwindled and prices stabilized. High volume, discount dealers found it impossible to maintain their business models. This may be what happened to AAH. Or it's possible that he died or made enough money and just walked away.

Considering the huge volume of coins he sold, it wouldn't surprise me if a couple of fakes slipped through now and then, but I don't think he ever knowingly sold a fake coin; he didn't have to. He sold low-to-mid grade ancient coins at good prices and provided good, reliable service. Beginning collectors especially should mourn the passing of AAH.

("Every time I try to prove I love you, 1,2,3 red light.")

DonnaML, Ed Snible, Edessa and 3 others like this.
  8. Roman Collector

Those were the days! My "core" Roman denarius collection came from AAH back in the day.

It is!!

Edessa and Marsyas Mike like this.
  9. Marsyas Mike

I'm sorry I missed those days - I started collecting in 1987, but went dormant around the turn of the century - I was on eBay then, but the ancients auctions confused me and worried me (fakes). The Black Sea Hoard debacle had put me on high alert about eastern Europe and fake coins. Sounds like I missed out on some bargains, and I love bargains. :(

The Archies, 1910 Fruitgum Co. - bubblegum is pretty neat!

10. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I love the off center coin. I only have one spectacular Arcadius. I’ve always loved how the mint workers couldn’t have cared less with some of these. Probably getting minimum wage with the associated attitude of “I don’t get paid enough to care”

Marsyas Mike and Co1ns like this.
  11. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Actually, they were slaves.

Marsyas Mike and Co1ns like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted