What????

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Shanesbird1027, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Shanesbird1027

Shanesbird1027 New Member

A 1961 D on the obverse buuuuuut a ^$/¥£₩÷\ on the reverse!!!what happened?lol

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I'm not sure what a " ^$/¥£₩÷" is. LOL. ;)

It's been machined, for some reason, with a lathe or similar piece of equipment.

This is PMD (post-mint damage), and as such makes the coin numismatically worthless, though interesting. It might have been done to make a "magician's coin" or something similar.

There was a similarly machined nickel posted recently, though yours has different toolmarks. I think yours was done on a lathe as well.

Those circular striations are kind of cool looking.

4. Shanesbird1027

I'm not sure if you can see it but there seems to be some writing underneath the rings.

5. lordmarcovan

I didn't see it at first, but can (barely) see it now.

My only guess would be that it may be some remaining trace of the coin's original reverse lettering? Not sure - can't really make it out in the picture.

6. Shanesbird1027

I have another question about another penny I've found......it's smaller than a regular penny (i can set it inside of a regular penny,I'll post a picture) but you can't read anything a little bit of "one cent"!can you tell me more about it?

Attached Files:

7. lordmarcovan

That one's also been machined, but in a different way. The rim has been squashed down. It got rolled through some piece of machinery.

Some people make rings out of coins and one of the first steps is to flatten down the edges like that. But I don't think that's the case with your cent, there. Cents aren't often used to make rings - people usually go for bigger coins, particularly silver ones, when they're making rings.

I just discovered there is a term for this. It appears to be a "dryer coin", and I found a good illustration of how it happens here.

Shanesbird1027 likes this.
  8. Shanesbird1027

Are either of these worth anything?I'm kinda new to collecting but I have definitely caught the bug lol.my dad had a whole bunch of fantastic but they were all stolen days after his passing.so I guess I'm doing this for him too.

9. lordmarcovan

Nope. 'Fraid neither of these are worth anything, except that they got you interested. That's something, anyway, right?

Keep on lookin', and good luck! :)

10. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

Put that first one on a record player. Could be lost rolling stones tracks. lol!!!!

11. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Post mint damage

Draft saved Draft deleted