What Your Budget Buys - $30 Edition

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zumbly, Sep 4, 2017.

1. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I think this next price category is where things start getting really interesting. When I think of what $30 will buy, I think common denarii, Late Roman Bronzes in excellent condition, nice antoniniani of various 3rd century emperors, interesting and affordable Greek bronzes and Roman provincials. There are probably many other types that you guys can help fill this thread with...

So, let's see a sampling of your favorite $30 coins (or anything in the $21 - $40 range).

If a coin is an older purchase (ie., not bought in the past few years), please let us know roughly when bought it. If the coin was part of a bulk or large lot purchase, it would be helpful to mention that too.

One of my favorite LRBs is this Crispus with a pleasant green patina.

crispus400 229.jpg
    CRISPUS

AE3. 3.4g, 18.5mm. Lugdunum mint, AD 322-323 AD. RIC VII 166. O: CRISPVS-NOB CAES, laureate head right. R: BEATA TRAN-QVILLITAS, globe on altar inscribed VO - TIS - XX, three stars above, C - R across fields; PLG in exergue.

At $21 shipped off eBay, this Postumus ant is just a squeak above Bargain Bin.
    Postumus Pax P400 271.jpg
    POSTUMUS

AE Antoninianus. 4.22g, 23mm. Trier mint, 268 AD. RIC 318. O: IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG, radiate, draped & cuirassed bust right. PAX AVG, Pax standing left, holding transverse scepter in left hand and olive branch in right hand; P to left.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I've picked up a few John Anthony bargains in that price range :)

Absolutely delightful coin, especially for $37.25 (coin + shipping and PP fees):
    Mysia-Pergamon-Roma-Senate-TimeOfNero-JAZ_border.jpg
    MYSIA, Pergamon
    CE 40-60, time of Caligula to Nero
    Æ15, 3.2 gm, 12 h
    Obv: ΘЄON PΩMHN; bust of Roma with mural crown right.
    Rev: ΘЄON CYNKΛHTON; laureate bust of Senate right.
    Ref: RPC 2374; SNG Aul.1385

Another cool cheapie (JA's pictures; my coining has had endless interruptions lately). $32.25 (coin + shipping and PP fees)
    domitian_side_6.jpg
    PAMPHYLIA, Side. Domitian
    CE 81-96
    Æ19, 4.8 gm, 12 h
    Obv: ΔOMITIANOC KAICAP; laureate head right
    Rev: CIΔ-HT; Athena advancing left, holding spear and shield; pomegranate and serpent left
    Ref: SNG Cop 415, RPC II 1527, p. 277

4. zumbly

I really love that Pergamon issue. The style is wonderful on yours and the coin has loads of eye appeal.

TIF likes this.
  5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

It is hard to select coins to show from this group where I participate heavily. I limit these to things bought in the last year.

From the most resent Robinson sale is a Parion 3/4 drachm which is struck better than many of these offered at a low price but has centering that clips the tongue keeping it from being a coin I really like. There are many of these on the market now so you can pick the one that fits your price range. Perfect ones are not cheap; really cheap ones are so mushy they are hard to see. $38
    g61534fd0592.jpg

A Gallienus Provincial AE28 from Tyre shows Diomedes and a clear murex shell, source of the highly valued Tyrian purple dye. Under Gallienus, Tyre produced several reverse types that were different in theme from those used by other cities and worth keeping an eye out for when coin shopping. 2017 Richmond VA coin show $30
    pp2585fd3466.jpg

I try not to bore everyone with Eastern mint Septimius Severus denarii but I don't try too hard. This was $40 at a Fredericksburg VA show in 2016. I most certainly do have enough Fortuna reverse 'Emesa' mint (COS dated) denarii but this one stood out to me because the style reminded me more of the IMP dated 'Laodicea' coins than of the typical COS dated 'Emesa' issues. I believe someday in the distant future, someone with enough resources to do a proper study will demonstrate links between the two mints and come up with a reasonable explanation for things I see and questions I can not answer. I hope I am still around when this is published and I hope my eyes and mind will be able to appreciate the answer. I do not see it happening. There are many Eastern Septimius denarii on the market at any given moment. They vary in price and come in common reverses like this and many more scarce and popular. I would have paid more had the coin been a reverse I lacked and left behind a coin with only slightly different characteristics. When you get to the point in a specialty that you have 'enough' you start looking for coins that strike you as 'different' or 'interesting' in some little way. The style of this coin (especially the lettering) caused me to invite it into my collection. Will it turn out to be significant when the book is written? Will I ever know?
    rg1005fd3356.jpg

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My second group of $21-40 coins all came to me from the same Fredericksburg VA show in 2016 (the 2017 version is September 22 - I hope to attend). Each coin was $35 but not all were from the same seller. Some numbers are easier to write on flips??? None were coins I was particularly seeking when I went to the show but each raised their hand when I asked for volunteers to join my collection. The sellers had hundreds of other coins that just did not try as hard.

A Geta denarius with Genius reverse stood out to me because of the beard style. There is a bare tip of chin so this was not the last coin of Geta as Caesar but it is getting late in the period before he was named Augustus. I think it was worth $35.
    rm7065fd3378.jpg

While worn, the Vespasian denarius with SPQR in wreath was something not similar to anything I had and I like coins that are different so there went another $35. Worth it? It was to me.
    rb1215fd3354.jpg

Another worn denarius at $35 was this Domitian Caesar with Pegasus. The highlight of this coin IMHO is the nose suggesting that Domitian looked a bit more like his father and brother than his later coins as Augustus liked to admit. Flavian denarii circulated for enough years and were made of soft enough silver that we see many worn coins. Sellers differ on how much to charge for such coins. I almost left this one because of the weakness around the nose and raised hoof of Pegasus but the nose on the portrait made it a winner (by a nose). Coins showing Pegasus usually show the vigorous steed of Greek mythology. rb1430fd3355.jpg

By the time of Domitian, he was reduced to preforming as a 'counting horse' tapping a hoof for the correct number. Here we see him counting Consulships (4).

7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Here are some I've purchased individually recently (last few years) for $21-40, including shipping:

Severus PART MAX PM TRP X COS III PP Denarius.jpg
    Septimius Severus AR denarius

Gratian REPARATIO REIPVB Sicia.jpg Gratian, AE maiorina

Macrinus Antioch.jpg Macrinus provincial AE 17 of Antioch

Claudius II SPES PVBLICA Antoninianus.JPG
    Claudius II Gothicus billon antoninianus

Claudius II GENIVS AVG Antoninianus.JPG
    Claudius II Gothicus billon antoninianus

Maximian Alexandrian tetradrachm.jpg
    Maximian, billon tetradrachm of Alexandria

Lucilla VENVS denarius.jpg
    Lucilla AR denarius

Philip I The Arab Felicitas Antoninianus.jpg
    Philip I billon antoninianus

Etruscilla Viminacium.jpg
    Herennia Etruscilla AE 27 of Viminaceum

Salonina Venus Victrix Antoninianius (S).jpg
    Salonina billon antoninianus

8. zumbly

Nice! I mentioned in my first post that "common denarii" was what I'd expect to find in this price range, but I think these three you show could be easily bumped up to the next price bracket, not because of their grade, but because they're each more interesting than the ordinary average denarius.

9. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Another great thread. Great thread idea/s. :writer: Really helps us newbies to ancients, as well as seasoned collectors. Thanks for posting these threads. :)

coinsareus10 and zumbly like this.
  10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Phrygia Apameia.jpg
    APAMEIA, PHRYGIA
    AE23
    OBVERSE: Laureate head of Zeus right
    REVERSE: APAME to the right, cult statue of Artemis Anaïtis standing facing, magistrate HRAKLEI EGLO to left
    Struck at Pergamon 133-27 BC
    8.38g, 22mm
    SNGCop 183.1; BMC Phrygia p. 77, 48
    MN. AEMILIO LEPIDUS.jpg
    MN. AEMILIO LEPIDUS ROMAN REPUBLIC; GENS AEMILIA
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: Laureate, diademed head of Roma right, ROMA before, * behind
    REVERSE: M N AEMILIO, equestrian statue on triumphal arch, L E P between the arches
    Struck at Rome 114-13 BC
    3.78g, 20mm
    Cr291/1, Syd 554/Aemilia 7
    PUB CREPUSIUS.jpg
    PUB CREPUSIUS ROMAN REPUBLIC; GENS CREPUSIA
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: Laureate head of Apollo
    right, sceptre over shoulder
    REVERSE: Horseman right, brandishing spear; P CREPVSI in ex
    Rome 82 BC
    3.64g, 17mm
    Syd 738a, Cr361/1c, Crepusia 1
    Marcus Antonius 10.jpg
    MARCUS ANTONIUS
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: ANT AVG III VIR R P C, Praetorian galley, thyrsos behind prow
    REVERSE: LEG XX, eagle between standards
    Patrae 32-31 BC
    3.0g, 17mm
    RSC 27

11. zumbly

Some other recent favorites in the $30-ish price bracket...

Gallienus - Vict Germanica 2105.jpg
    GALLIENUS
    Billon Antoninianus. 3.24g, 23.6mm. Cologne mint, AD 258-259. RIC 49; Cohen 1065. O: GALLIENVS P F AVG, radite and cuirassed bust of Gallienus left, holding spear over his left shoulder and shield decorated with gorgoneion. R: VICT GERMANICA, Victory standing right on globe, holding trophy over her left shoulder and wreath in her right hand; two captives flanking globe.

Maximianus - Ant Herc 2070.jpg
    MAXIMIANUS
    AE Antoninianus. 3.74g, 23.2mm. Ticinum mint, circa AD 286-288. RIC V-2 Ticinum 544. O: IMP C M A VAL MAXIMIANVS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right. R: HERCVLI CONSERVAT, Hercules standing right, holding club with lion's skin, on rock; SXXIT in exergue.

Antoninus PIus - Drachm Jupiter.jpg ANTONINUS PIUS
    AE Drachm. 23.53g, 35.5mm. EGYPT, Alexandria, Year 10 = AD 146/7. Emmett 1699.10; Dattari 2933; Cologne 1560. O: AVT K T AIΛ AΔP ANTωNINOC, laureate head right. R: Zeus, holding patera and scepter, reclining left on eagle standing left with wings spread; L ΔЄKA TOV (date) around.

Axum Kingdom - AE16.jpg
    KINGDOM OF AXUM. Anonymous.
    AE16. 1.25g, 15.5mm. Kings of Axum, Anonymous, circa AD 400-500. Munro-Hay Type 76. O: BAX + ACA, crowned bust right, holding cruciform sceptre. R: +TOV TO APECH TH XWPA (May This [the cross] Please the Country), Greek cross in circle; center with traces of gold gilding.

Pisidia Etenna.jpg
    PISIDIA, Etenna
    AE18. 2.78g, 17.6mm. SNG Cop 146. O: Naked nymph standing to front, legs crossed, entwined by serpent; at her feet to left, a vase. R: E-T, sickle-shaped knife.

RR Anonymous - Quadrans Hercules.jpg ROMAN REPUBLIC. Anonymous.
    AE Quadrans. 6.14g, 21.8mm, Rome mint, after 211 BC. Crawford 56/5; Sydenham 302c. O: Head of young Hercules right, wearing lion's skin headdress, three pellets behind. R: ROMA, prow of galley right, three pellets below.
    Ex RBW Collection

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  12. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Most of my medieval purchases in this range were eBay purchases - something to be avoided by the newbies

Med-05a-FAuv-1150-Bishops of Clermont-D-4907.jpg
    French Feudal, Auvergne
    Bishops of Clermont, late 12th Century
    Clermont, BL Denier, 19 mm x 0.8 grams; Obv.: SEA MARIA. Facing portrait of Virgin Marie, crowned, with four annulets surrounding
    Rev.: VRBS.ARVERNA. Cross pommee with four trefoils in each angle
    Ref.: Roberts 4907, De Wit 390

Med-05a-FTou-1148-Raymond V-D-1228.jpg
    French Feudal, Toulouse
    Raymond V-VII, r. 1148-1249
    AR Denier, 19mm x 1.1 grams
    Obv.: RAMON COMES, Cross Pattee in center, S in second quarter
    Rev.: +TOLOSA CIVI, PAX in center
    Ref.: Duplessy 1228, Roberts 4226, De Wit 442

Med-06-P-1495-Manuel I-C-3-1*.jpg
    Portugal
    Manuel I, r. 1495-1521
    AE Ceitil, 18.06 mm x 1.4 grams, Group 3.1
    Obv.: +IEMANVEL R.P.ET.A. N retrograde. 3rd type shield containing Portuguese coat of arms, annulet left, top, and right
    Rev.: +I:EMANVEL.[R.P.ET.A.]. N retrograde. Group 3.1 castle with high open outside wall castle over convex sea

Med-14-INSic-1130-Roger II-Fol-Messina-177.jpg
    Norman Italy - Sicily
    Roger II, r. 1130-1154 (1130-8)
    AE Follaro, 15.47 mm x 1.4 grams
    Obv.: Ρ/Ο/ΓΕ/ΡΙ/Ο Ρ/Η/Σ (Vertically, Σ Retrograde). Roger standing with scepter in right hand
    Rev.: +IC+XC+NI+KA around cross patent
    Ref.: NCKS 226, [MEC 14, 177]

This one came as a part of a group lot:
    Med-16-IGCaf-1360-Anon-Pul-01.jpg
    Italian States, Genoese Caffa
    1360s?
    AE Pul, 17.29mm x 1.3 grams
    Obv.: Christogram countermark, from Genoese Caffa
    Rev.: ? anonymous Jujid
    Ex Andy Singer

Same lot as above
    Med-16-IGCaf-1421-Filippo Visconti-As-15.jpg
    Italian States, Genoese Caffa
    Filippo Maria Visconti, r. 1421-1435
    AR Asper, 16.21 mm x 0.9 grams
    Obv.: DV_M.D.:CAF; The arms of Genoa in a beaded oval of four arches, three dots to side and below of portal
    Rev.: Small Jujid tamga with 1 dot. Circular Arabic legend, السلطان العادل محمد خان (The Just Ruler, Muhammad Khan)
    Ref.: Similar to Retowski, Genoese-Tartar Coinage, no. 15, Similar to De Witt 3957-8
    Note: Overstrike.
    Ex. Andy Singer

Med-19b-Kil-1310-Hasan Sulayman-Fal-616.jpg
    East Africa - Kilwa Sultanate
    al-Hasan ibn Sulayman, r. 1310-1333
    Kisiwani mint, AE Fals, 20.13 mm x 2.2 grams
    Obv.: احسن بن / سليمان / عزذصز (al-Hasan ibn / Sulaiman / yathiku (May his victory be glorious!)). Inscription in three lines
    Rev.: يتق / بالواحل / النان (trusts / in the One (God) / the Bountiful). Inscription in three lines
    Ref.: SICA 10, #616, Freeman-Grenville 1954, pg. 223 no. xv, Walker obv: XVII, Rev.: XXIII, Album 1183
    Note: Found on Kilwa Island in 1982

Parthicus, dlhill132, Jwt708 and 12 others like this.
  13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Yes, but that is the whole idea of collecting rather than just buying as I see it. We each will be presented with choices and we each will decide which coins speak to us individually. What I like will bore someone else and what they like will bore me. That's OK. It is not necessary that we all fight over the same coins. I most certainly did leave others that could have been the favorites of others simply because I was not aware that they were a rare date combination (these are boring to me in most cases) or high grade (its boring to me if the best thing a coin has is its grade). We are all different.

I'll add one more. It is a Provincial from Damascus (not the most common city) of Philip I (ho-hum), with left facing bust (better), weakly struck (yawn), off center (sad) and showing the rare two legged ram (take that you three legged buffalo fans). The ram is what made it qualify for my $35 (same show - they must have had a price fix).
    po2352fd3353.jpg

14. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

WOW!! So many excellent examples that can easily sell for more than $40.00+!!!

I thought these two examples had significant eye-appeal at that price level:

Sesterces of Crispina, 180-192 AD., Rome mint. Av. drapped, bust right; Rv. Salus seated left, feeding snake with patera over altar--- fine to very fine with a dark brown patina, 22.41g-----$33.50

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Billon-Tetradrachm of Nero, year 10 63/64 AD., Alexandria mint in Egypt. Av. rad. head right Rv. bust of Poppaea right; very fine, 13,33gr. Dattari 196, Milne 217 s---$31.50

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Wow, JW, great job getting that Marc Antony under $40! Impressive searching skills!
    LOL, you probly got that CHORTIS SPECVLATORVM for under $50??? I am still awestruck by that capture! Congrats.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  16. doucet

doucet Well-Known Member

A typical green crusty Orippo. The figure on the reverse is sitting in a chair and holding a pine cone in one hand and a cornucopia in the other. It was my first coin from Orippo. Paid 26.00.
    Irippo.jpg

This second Orippo is not so typical in that it has a pretty strong strike. Still, it is missing details. This one has the cornucopia and a pretty good chair but not the pine cone.

I think you need about four or five of these to get all the details.... or pay a lot for a great one. I paid 38.00 for it.

I like his hair cut on this one too.

irippo 2.jpg

17. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Yes, I've gotten lucky on a few of my MA legionary denarii, but not so lucky on the Chortis Specvalatorvm. I paid a price commensurate with the issue. Woe be me, but I wanted that issue and you don't see them come up that often.

Alegandron likes this.
  18. lemur43

lemur43 New Member

what makes them "more interesting"?

19. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

For me, what makes a coin interesting is if it was issued for a specific purpose, such as to commemorate an event in history or a deed by an emperor or empress, such as a military victory, the birth of a child, the passage of a significant law, reform in the monetary system, and so on. Something that makes you say, "This coin is interesting because it shows..."

TIF and Alegandron like this.
  20. zumbly

Doug correctly points out in his second post on this thread that "interesting" is subjective. In his original post, he actually said why he found them interesting enough for him to buy... I happened to agree with his reasoning. Some collectors can tell you that their coins are XF/AU/FDC etc, some can also tell you why their coins are actually interesting... not the same thing :).

dougsmit and Alegandron like this.
  21. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Thanks for the post, @zumbly ! Most of these were purchased for less than $30 each.

NABSNEW.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted