What Your Budget Buys - $200 Edition

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zumbly, Sep 17, 2017.

1. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Our next price range should include a pretty fascinating variety of coins. In my own collection, the $200 range includes some larger Greek silver denominations such as staters and tetradrachms, less common and pricier Roman provincials, and a spate of Roman Republican denarii.

Please show us a few of your favorite $200-ish coins (anything between $175 - $250).

If a coin is an older purchase (ie., not bought in the past few years), please let us know roughly when bought it. If the coin was part of a bulk or large lot purchase, it would be helpful to mention that too.

I believe the price of this Aegina turtle stater was kept down to about $210 thanks to a few countermarks and the turtle being positioned a bit off-center. Not only did I not mind these issues, I kind of liked them, so this purchase was definitely a win for me.
    Aegina stater c.jpg
    ATTICA, Aegina
    AR Stater. 12.12g, 21.1mm, ATTICA, Aegina, circa 480-456 BC, SNG Cop 507. O: Sea turtle; countermarks: Corinthian helmet and others. R: Large square incuse with skew pattern.

A great many Roman provincial bronzes can be picked up for well under $100. However, the larger pieces with the more interesting reverses will often not be as affordable. I really wanted a nice example of this reverse, and it cost me $250 shipped.
    Phrygia - Hierapolis Abduction of Persephone.jpg
    PHRYGIA, Hierapolis. Pseudo-autonomous civic issue
    AE29. 12.36g, 29.1mm. PHRYGIA, Hierapolis, circa AD 2nd-3rd centuries. RPC Online 2045; SNG Cop 428. O: IЄPAΠOΛЄI-TΩN, head of youthful Dionysos right, wearing ivy wreath. R: The Abduction of Persephone: Hades in galloping quadriga right, carrying off struggling Persephone.

Tetradrachms struck under or in the name and types of Alexander the Great are probably the most common of all the large Greek silver coins. Budget examples can be scored for less than what this price bracket calls for, but decent ones will likely at least cost you this much (and the very nice ones will be some multiples more), and you'll also be paying a premium for a lifetime issue. Mine was exactly $200 shipped - not lifetime, but I liked the pegasos forepart control symbol and how it looked overall.
    Kassander Tetradrachm.jpg
    MACEDONIAN KINGDOM, temp. Kassander – Antigonos II Gonatas.
    Rare. AR Tetradrachm. 16.72g, 29mm. Uncertain mint in Greece or Macedon, in the names and types of Alexander III, circa 310-275 BC. Price 866; Stuttgart 1, lot 178 (same dies). O: Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin. R: AΛEΞAN∆POY, Zeus Aëtophoros seated left; in left field, forepart of Pegasos left.
    Ex Dr. Will Gordon Collection

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

4. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Not the prettiest example, but Henry I is hard to find cheap, and fully attributeable (which this one is):
    Med-09a-Eng-1125-Henry I-D-15-Bury St. Edmunds-Gilebert-871.jpg
    England
    Henry I, r. 1100-1135 (1125-1135)
    Bury St. Edmunds AR Penny, 17.16 mm x 0.8 grams
    Obv.: +hEN[R]I[CVS]. Bust facing crowned and diademed, head three-quarters left, sceptre in right hand
    Rev.: [+]G[ILEBE]RT[:ON]:E[DM]N. Quadrilateral with incurved sides and lis at each angle over cross fleury
    Ref.: North 871, SCBC 1276, De Wit 3186

Examples of this tari with a fuller outer legend go beyond this category, but this little guy fits here, and I hope to one day figure out the date and mint based off the patterns of what little remains of the outer legend (we'll see if this ever happens...)
    Med-14-ISic-1140-Roger II-Tar-Palermo-203 R1.jpg
    Norman Italy - Sicily
    Roger II, r. 1130-1154 (1140-1154)
    Palermo mint, AV Taris, 12.66 mm x 1.1 grams
    Obv.: Outer Cufic legend denoting date and mint, inner Cufic legend al-malik Rujar al-mu’tazz bi-llah, pellet in center of dotted circle
    Rev.: Outer cufic legend denoting date and mint, in center, cross potent on shaft with pellet between IC XC NI KA
    Ref.: NCKS 240, [MEC 14.202]; De Wit 3796

I'll include my ancients in these higher categories. This one probably isn't worth what I paid, as I got into a bit of a bidding war for it, but I really wanted a Darius siglo, and I was very intrigued by the bankers marks. The photo needs to be retaken, as it is darker than reality.
    Anc-04-PA-fbe-Darius I-SIG-Sardes-3428.jpg
    Persian Empire
    Darius I to Xerxes II, r. 485-420 B.C.
    Sardes Mint, AR Siglos, 15.87mm x 5.6 grams
    Obv.: King running right holding spear and bow
    Rev.: Incuse punch
    Ref.: SGCV 3428, Carradice Type IIIb, Group A/B (pl. XII, 17)

This coin I also probably paid too much for, but it has incredible details, and I also really wanted a coin from Menander I:
    Anc-05-BA-iee-Menander I-DR-67.jpg
    Kingdom of Bactria
    Menander I r. c. 165/55-130 B.C.
    AR Drachm, 15.71mm x 2.5 grams
    Obv.: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΣΩΤΗΡΟΣ / ΜΕΝΑΝΔΡΟΥ. Diademed bust of the sovereign right, coat fastened on the right shoulder
    Rev.: (Maharajasa tratarasa / Menamdrasa). Athena Alkidemos standing left. Monogram 'H' in right field
    Ref.: Bopearachchi, Ménandre (I) Sôter, 67

5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

That Meander is great!

FitzNigel likes this.
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Campania.jpg
    CAMPANIA, NEAPOLIS
    AR Didrachm
    OBVERSE: Head of nymph Parthenope right, wearing headband, pendant earring, and pearl necklace
    REVERSE: Man-faced bull walking right, head facing, above Nike flying right to crown him // [NΕΟΠΟΛΙΤΗΣ]
    Struck at Neapolis (Naples) 350-325 BC
    7.3g, 20mm
    SNG ANS 296-298. SNG Lockett 79. HN Italy 565
    ex. JAZ Numismatics
    Cost: $229
    Galba 3.jpg
    GALBA
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: IMP SER GALBA CAESAR AVG P M - Laureate head right
    REVERSE: VICTORIA P R - Victory standing left on globe, holding wreath and palm
    Struck at Rome, Oct/Nov 68AD
    3.2g, 18mm
    RIC 234
    Cost: $225

7. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

$184 via Triskeles auctions. An early aes grave uncia. Before Rome began using struck bronze coins, they had a system of cast bronze pieces. The earliest, known today as "aes rude" were simply unformed lumps of bronze traded as a sort of bronze bullion by weight. Later they began casting "aes grave" coins like the one below which were made in various denominations and because they were in regular denominations, did not necessarily require weighing. I potentially could have acquired an example in similar condition for a little bit cheaper but the US Department of State in an act of serious overreach passed a restriction in 2011 against the import of these early Roman types. Because this example has a documented provenance to a 2005 auction it is not in any way subject to these restrictions so for me, it was worth paying a slight premium.
    Cr014.6.jpg
    Roman Republic Æ Aes Grave uncia(27 mm, 25.52 g), anonymous, 280-265 B.C., Rome mint. Astragalos(sheep knucklebone) seen from above; • / •. Crawford 14/6; Vecchi ICC 31; HN Italy 273; Thurlow-Vecchi 6a; Haeberlin plate 40, 19
    Ex Triskeles 20(Vauctions 325), 6/30/2017, lot 513, ex CNG e-Auction 115, 5/25/2005, lot 328

$187.04 after fees via Agora Auctions in October 2015. As an interesting data point, the previous owner of this coin purchased it for $88 in June 1985 which equates to about $194.51 around the time I purchased it according to the CPI inflation calculator. This is another early Roman type, thought to have been struck at a mint under Roman control in Southeast Italy during the Second Punic War. Recent research by Andrew McCabe cites Venusia as a possible place of minting of these types.
    Cr085.1a.JPG
    Roman Republic AR quinarius(16.3 mm, 1.94 g, 11 h). Anonymous. ca. 212-196 B.C. Apulian mint. Helmeted head of Roma right, V behind / ROMA, the Dioscuri riding right, each holds a spear; H below. Crawford 85/1a; Sydenham 174; RSC 33b; Russo RBW 347.
    Ex. Agora 42, 10/6/15, lot 114, ex RBW collection, Ex. Malter XXX(Frederick Hastings Rindge collection), 6/7/1985, lot 1473

$201.25 after fees via Vauctions in March 2017. As another interesting data point, this coin previously sold almost 15 years ago for just under $260 after fees. Cr112.4.jpg
    Roman Republic Æ Semis(28mm, 13.88g). Anonymous(Staff series), 206-195 B.C., Rome mint. Laureate head of Saturn right; behind, S/ Prow right; above, staff; before, S; below, ROMA. Crawford 112/4
    Ex RBW Collection, VAuctions 323, Triskeles sale 19, 3/17/2017, lot 404, ex Tony Hardy Collection, CNG 61, 9/25/2002, lot 1153

~$217(€200), November 2015. I have always been a big fan of this type and really wanted an example with full legend and designs so even though it is a bit worn, this was a perfect example for me.
    281.1.combined.JPG
    AR Denarius(19mm, 3.86g). Marcus Furius Lucii filius Philus, moneyer, 119 BC, Rome mint. Laureate head of Janus;around, M·FOVRI·L·F, Border of dots. / Roma (wearing Corinthian helmet) standing left, holding sceptre in left hand and crowning trophy with right hand; above, star; behind, ROMA upwards; the trophy is surmounted by a helmet in the form of a boar's head and flanked by a carnyx and shield on each side; in exergue, (PHI)LI. Crawford 281/1, Sydenham 529, RSC Furia 18, BMCRR (Italy) 555

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Looking at the choices I made in this bracket, I suffer more buyer's remorse and do not see most as particularly good choices for the money. I am not sure that says as much about the coins as about how my interests changed over the last year.

I know you pay extra for popular types but this Magnentius from Trier could have had a better upper left reverse to justify the $180 I paid at a 2017 local show. It has many good points but when you see the faults first, it is a sign that you are having doubts. It would have sold for more in a big sale but I bought it from a place that should have been cheaper.
    rx7077fd1305.jpg

This Parthian drachm came from the same seller at a show a month later than the Magnentius. It is a type we always called Mithradates I but recently some are stretching that to allow 'or before' attributions. For $190, I might have done better. I did like the extreme cupping of the reverse as shown by the way the top legends were dragged down. Maybe I am being too hard on it - maybe not.
    op0015fd3468.jpg

This Ardashir I, first of the Sasanians, is a nice coin but too fully cleaned for my usual tastes. I have to wonder if I am that interested in Sasanians but since I have ordered a new book set on them, I hope the answer is 'yes'. It is easier to justify a $200 purchase if you know more about what you bought. I hope... Show in 2016
    oa0440fd3370.jpg

9. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Recently acquired this Hemidrachm, Babylon mint, rare denomination and rare example.

Posthumous issue of Babylon, ca. 323-318/7 BC. Head of Heracles right, wearing lion skin headdress / Zeus seated left, holding eagle and scepter, M in left field, ΛY below throne. Price 3694.

Alexander Babylon Hemi Obv.jpg Alexander Babylon Hemi Rev.jpg

Not the finest but I didn't have one in my collection.

10. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

one of my 2 coins in this price range, My only coin in this price range

after shipping + other fees it was about $250 USD or slightly less.
    patraos21.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

More:
    From the same show as the Ardashir but a different seller is a coin like you would expect me to buy but most people would not appreciate. I like these Julia Domna, Emesa, denarii that use reverses more common for male rulers even though I strongly disagree with those who consider them mules. That mint did not play by the rules of Rome. What is unusual about this coin is that it is higher grade than most I buy. I did not have the type so I paid the price ($200) but admit I would not minded a little more wear and a $50 price tag.
    rk5365fd3372.jpg

A month later in 2016 brought another show and this Thorioi bull nomos, also $200. It could show better definition on the upper horn of the bull but has a strong eye and tone more attractive than the photo shows. I bought it partly out of peer pressure. I was going through a half price box (the marked $400 was a stretch) and I knew the guy next in line for the box well enough to be sure he would buy it. It was now or never. I will not ask a dealer to 'reserve' a coin for me while I think about it considering that dirty play. Maybe a new photo will make you see why I took it. g10235fd3382.jpg
    g10235fd3382a.jpg

Finally is the coin I bought with the least hesitation of my collecting life. I paid using PayPal within 30 seconds of seeing it listed. The seller (a VCoins seller I use regularly) knew what it was and priced it at a number I could accept ($210 delivered). I would have paid more but at least one CT regular told me they had seen it and passed so I may have just been the right person for the right coin. Since first showing it, I have had more than a couple inquiries wanting to buy it (but none offered a price). I would be happy to pass your interest, if any to my grandson but, if he sells it, I will be hauntingly disappointed. For anyone who has missed the dozen times I have posted it, the coin is a Class A3 Anonymous follis overstruck on an as of Gordian III. That is just short of 800 years between strikes. This is the kind of coin I seek most on my want statement: "Coins I did not know existed." If you have trouble seeing Gordian, tilt your head left.
    rz0505fd3399.jpg

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

arnoldoe's coin is a particularly decent coin despite the well detailed (!) but low obverse. The vast majority of these are missing all or part of the victim at the bottom or the legend at the top. Sellers act like the only thing that matters is wear. A reverse this nice is something to seek out. My coin has a nice reverse but really stinks up the place on the obverse. It was only $95. Of that, the reverse was $200 and the obverse was minus $105.
    g30745bb2830.jpg

13. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

Alexander Tetradrachm IMG_1608.jpg

14. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

That's quite the steal for $200ish dollars @Svarog ! Did it fall off a truck?

Svarog likes this.
  15. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

Hahahah, Jwt708, all in it was $230, but I am super happy with it! it has a golden hue to it and fantastic portrait!- thank you for noticing it!

dlhill132 and Jwt708 like this.
  16. Jovian363

Jovian363 Well-Known Member

Constantine I around A.D. 315, IMP CONSTANTINVS PF AVG, bust right, laureate, draped and cuirassed. LIBERATOR ORBIS [The Liberator of the World], Emperor galloping right over lion, right raised. In exergue R*S?. Not in RIC, but there are records of perhaps a dozen or more examples sold in the past 10 years.

I paid this example, a couple years ago, in barely fine condition and with some corrosion, 150 Euros - which makes it my most expensive late Roman bronze coin. But the coin is historical and the reverse scene is quite dramatic. LiberatorOrbiscombine_images (3).jpg

17. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Another category that that I have a bought a lot but these two a my favorites for recent. 7YqyGz23cA8X5kCziR842nQREFy69J (1).jpg C.MINUCIUS AUGURINUS AR Denarius.
    Rome 135 BC, column between two togate figures. 3.86gm, 19mm, Cr 242/1
    US 165 delivered. 91603_1486671056.jpg CILICIA MOPSUESTIA-MOPSUS VALERIAN 255 AD, River god Pyramus, reclining on bridge triumphal arch each end. 14.43gm, 31mm, SNG BN 1998.
    US 250 Delivered.

18. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Here are some in that price range. These are "all in" prices.

Nero. AD 54-68. AR Denarius Rome mint. Struck AD 68.
    (17.68 mm, 3.37 g)
    Obv: IMP NERO CAESAR AVG P P, Laureate head right
    Rev: Legionary eagle between two standards.
    RIC I 68 (R2); RSC 356. SRCV (2000) 1947
    Ex: CNG e-auction 370 lot 391 March 9, 2016.
    Paid: 220.00 USD

NERO new.jpg

GALBA, A.D. 68-69. AR Denarius
    (3.38 gms),
    Rome Mint, ca. A.D. July 68-January 69..
    Obv: "IMP SER GALBA CAESAR AVG PM" Laureate bust of Galba facing right;
    Rev:: Virtus standing facing, holding parazonium upwards and leaning on vertical spear.
    NGC Ch F, Strike: 5/5 Surface: 4/5.
    RIC-236
    Provenance: From the Graywood Collection.
    Coin depicted in the Wildwinds.com database.
    Paid: 258.00 USD

Galba ric 236.jpeg

Vespasian (69-79). AR Denarius (18.08mm, 3.50g, 6h). Rome, AD 75.
    Obv: Bare head l. R IMP CEASAR VESPASIANUS AUG
    Rev: Pax seated l., resting l. elbow on throne and holding branch.
    PON MAX TRP COS VI
    RIC II 773 (this coin); RSC –. Extremely Rare variety, near VF.
    Ex Vecchi sale 13, 1998, 757.
    Ex: St Paul Antiques auction 7 Lot 285 June 11, 2017
    Paid: 257.00
    Vespasian RIC 773 new.jpeg
    Titus. AR Denarius as Caesar, AD 69-79. Rome, under Vespasian, Struck AD 77/8.
    (19.04 mm, 3.25 g),
    Obv: T CAESAR IMP VESPASIANVS, laureate head of Titus right.
    Rev: COS VI, prow of galley right, sides ornameted with intricate cross-hatch and maeander patterns; above, star with sixteen rays. RIC 950 (R); BN 202; BMC 226; RSC 68. SRCV I (2000) 2441
    Ex: Incitatus Coins
    Paid 205.00 USD
    Purchased February 22, 2016 from Incitatus coins

titus ric 950.jpg

Titus AR Denarius
    Judea Capta Issue
    (18 mm 3.12 g,)
    Obv: IMP T CEASAR VESPASIANUS AUG Laureate head right
    Rev: TR POT VIII Captive knelling right at foot of trophy
    RIC 1, RSC 334a, Sear RCV (2000) 2505.
    Purchased from MA Shops INGEMAR WALLIN UTVECKLING AB
    April 20, 2017
    Paid 227.00
    Titus RIC 1 new.jpg
    Kings of Macedon, Alexander III ‘the Great' (336-323 BC). AR Tetradrachm
    (26mm, 17.00g, 9h). Amphipolis, c. 332-326 BC.
    Obv: Head of Herakles r., wearing lion skin.
    Rev: Zeus Aëtophoros seated l.; janiform head in l. field.
    Price 6; Troxell, Studies, Issue A3. Some roughness, VF
    Saint Paul Antiques Auction 2 Lot 10, March 18, 2017.
    Paid: 196.00
    Alexander Price 6.jpg

Theophilus (AD 829-842), with Constantine and Michael II. AV solidus
    (20.07 mm, 4.38 g)
    Constantinople,
    Obv: *ΘЄOFI-LOS bASILЄ Θ,
    Rev: MIXAHL S COhSTAhTIN', Sear 1653. Berk 249. DO 3.
    Ex: Harlen J Berk
    Purchased November 28, 2016.
    Paid: 215.00 USD
    theophilus H J Berk.jpg
    ENGLAND. CANTERBURY, Royal mint, Cnut (1016-35), Silver Penny,
    (17.52 mm 0.91g),
    Short Cross type moneyer Wulfwig.
    Obv: Diademed bust left with lis sceptre, +CNVT - RECX:
    Rev: Short voided cross, central annulet enclosing pellet, +PVLFPIGONCANT
    Good Very Fine, slightly creased and pecked
    North 790 S 1159
    London Coin Galleries, Auction 4 - Part 1Lot 1144 June 1, 2017
    Paid: 196 dollars
    CNUT new.jpg

Ayyubids. Al-Nasir Yusuf I (Saladin), (564-589 AH/1169-1193 AD) AV Dinar. Al-
    Iskandariya mint, 585 AH = 1189 AD.
    (19mm, 4.33g, 2h).
    "In the name of God, the Compassionate, the
    Merciful, was struck this dinar in al-Iskandariya in the year 5 and 80 and 500" in outer
    margin; citing the Abbasid caliph "Abu l-Ábbas al-Nasir li-din Allah, commander of the
    faithful" in inner margin; "al-Imam/Ahmad" in two lines across field / Kalima and Qur`an
    9:33 in outer margin; title "`alin al-Malik ghaya Salah al-Din" in inner margin;
    "Yusuf/bin Ayyub" in two lines across field. Album 785.2; Balog 58.
    Ex: Roma Numismatics Auction 35 Lot 1360 May 3, 2017
    Paid 246.00

Roma 35 lot 1360.png

Louis IX (1226-1270) AR Gros Tournois
    (25.20 mm, 3.55 g)
    Obv: légende intérieure : + LVDOVICVS. REX
    légende extérieure : + BNDICTV: SIT: NOmE: DHI: nRI: DEI: IhV. XPI, (ponctuation par trois besants superposés).
    Rev: TVRONVS. CIVIS,
    Purchased from Ebay February 2017
    Paid: 203.50
    Louis IX New.jpg

19. Orfew

That is a lovely turtle. I would gladly have a coin like that in my collection.

zumbly likes this.
  20. Orfew

Wow, that Henry I is a great example. They are very difficult to find and the condition is usually horrible. Nice score for this price range.

FitzNigel likes this.
  21. Orfew

I love the Galba. Nice portrait.

khalil elara likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted