What your budget buys -- $1500 - $2500 edition

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by IdesOfMarch01, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I think this coin cost $1,525 so it barely squeaks into the $1,500-$2,500 window. The dealer's price was a little high but the elephant mint mark was screaming "buy me buy me".
    New Tet Collage.jpg
    ATTICA, Athens
    AR Tetradrachm
    130 – 29 B.C.
    16.77 gms, 31 mm
    Obv:
    Head of Athena facing right with double-crested Attic helmet adorned with Pegasos.
    Rev: Owl standing right on fallen amphora with head facing, elephant symbol to right, all within olive wreath. The letter E on amphora ME in exergue. Upper field around owl A-OE and ANT-OXOΣ. Left field continues with KAPA/IXOΣ/ΣKY/MNO/Σ [magistrates Antiochos, Karaichosand Skymnos].
    Grade: AU with good centering and strike confirmed by NGC opinion. Some porosity at obverse otherwise as struck with good tone & luster.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Some fabulous coins out there !

[​IMG]
    Pertinax, Denarius Rome mint, AD 193
    IMP CAES P HELV PERTIN AVG, laureate head right
    VOT DECEN TR P COS II, emperor sacrificing left, with patera held over tripod altar
    2.98 gr, 17 mm
    Ref : RIC # 13a, Cohen # 56, RCV # 6048
    Ex Harlan J. Berk

[​IMG]
    Constantius II, Light miliarense, Ferrando II plate coin Arles mint (Arelate), 3d officina
    DN CONSTAN TIVS PF AVG, Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust of Constantius right
    VIRTVS EXERCITVS, Constantius (soldier) facing holding spear and shield. TCON at exergue
    4,54 gr ; 22,6 mm
    Ref : RIC VII # 252, Ferrando II # 1026 (this coin), Cohen #326, RC #3993v

Q

4. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Wow, beautiful coins, all!
    I really do not have many in this lofty category - the air is getting much thinner up here.

Here is one that I really like:

Claudius, 41-54 AD.
    Aureus, 51-52 AD. Rome. 7,62 g
    RIC 63.

ex. Gorny u. Mosch ca. 2007.
    1950 Euros

Claudius Aureus-Obv - 1.jpg Claudius Aureus-Rev - 1.jpg

5. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

My only coin in this price range is this Sestertius of Gordian I. According to my research it is the rarest official coin type of this ruler apart from the unique gold Aureus with the same reverse.

P2090944 (1).jpg

IMP CAES M ANT GORDIANUS AFR AVG - Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right of Gordian I right
    ROMAE AETERNAE S C - Roma enthroned left, holding Victory on extended right hand and resting on scepter held in left, shield at side
    Sestertius, Rome, April 238
    30,04 mm / 21,42 gr / 12h
    RIC 10, BMCRE 10, Cohen 9, Banti 6, Sear 8451
    ex Münzen and Medaillen AG 552, 1992, Nr. 42
    "A nice example of this brief issue" (Sear)

P2090950 (1).jpg

6. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

The quality of the Claudius portrait on this aureus is among the best style you can find on his aurei. It's well centered with full, readable legends on both sides. I'd say this coin was a steal.

7. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

This is my first bar with marks. I was very happy to buy it directly from the seller's web store for a bit over $1600. I found one about as heavy less than a year later for half the price. I am pleased with both.
    5.19.16 013.JPG
    Roman Republican Ramo Secco Currency Bar (Aes Signatum)
    CENTRAL ITALY, Emilia(?): 6th to 4th century BC
    Fragment of a bronze ingot, on both sides branch with no leaves.
    AE. 826 grams; Length = 62 mm, Width = 77 mm, Height = 36 mm
    Thurlow-Vecchi AS1.
    Vecchi – 3.1
    HNI – pg 45 – highly ferruginous bars made apparently from 6th century in southern Etruria, Emilia and occasionally Sicily.
    Grueber – lists 2 bars, but not RS
    Cr – lists bars, but not RS
    Syd AG – not in Sydenham
    Haberline – pg 10 – 19; plates 4 – 6
    Garrucci – Table VII, IX & X

fyi - ramo secco means dry branch
    siluette-di-vecchi-alberi-senza-foglie-ramo-secco-29304657.jpg
    https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/b/siluette-di-vecchi-alberi-senza-foglie-ramo-secco-29304657.jpg

8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

@rrdenarius well done! I am looking for Ramo Secco also, but other coin priorities keep getting in the way! Yours is GREAT! Congrats!

rrdenarius likes this.
  9. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

I do enjoy seeing photographs of coins that show all the details that existed when they were (pretty much) first minted. I also appreciate their unsurpassed beauty. Thanks to everyone who posted such coins in this thread.

10. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

I have several within this range

[​IMG]

$1,600

[​IMG]
    $1,500

[​IMG]
    $1,800 including fees
    [​IMG]
    $2,100 fees included

[​IMG]
    $2,250 fees included

Details in gallery, per usual.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  11. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Sorry I don't have some lovely aureus or sestertius or tetradrachm to show off here, and have to show a "boring" US coin.

This is the only coin I have ever purchased in the price tier above $1,000. Being a family man on a low-ranking hotel clerk's salary, I'm more of a two- and three-figure pricetag kind of collector, and aside from the occasional daydream, I am mostly content to stay down in that budget range. I really don't have any business chasing four-figure coins.

It cost me $2,300, and prices have dipped a little since I bought it, so now you might say I'm "buried in it" or "upside-down in it" for the time being. But I suppose there are worse things to be "buried" in. I'm from Georgia, so a piece of rare Southern gold from the short-lived Dahlonega Mint was appealing.

United States: gold 5-dollar half-eagle, Liberty Head type, 1842-D (small date)
    [​IMG]

(PCGS VF30, CAC; population
    16 with 157 higher as of 10/8/2017)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  12. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Oh, how well I understand your sentiment, only in my case, it would take two or three promotions to play in this league. ;)

@4to2centBC - I admire your Ollie Cromwell, there. Always wanted one of those. Never had Cromwell or even Commonwealth, in my past collection of English coins of that era.

13. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    Theodosius likes this.
  14. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Nice!
    I have been looking for Charlotte/ Dahlonega Mint gold/ the MS-64 and higher are really $$$$$$$:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted