What Ya' Think, Capped Bust, Has it Been Dipped?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fretboard, Apr 5, 2022.

1. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Looks unnatural. I suspect it's seen some degree of polishing.

spirityoda likes this.
  4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Thinking the same thing or similar. :smuggrin:

5. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

Cheech9712 and fretboard like this.
  6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I hate cleaned, there's so many variations but cleaned is cleaned. The only thing worse to me, is polished, bent or whizzed! :D

MIGuy likes this.
  7. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

Clean / Dipped, AU

Too bad, it was nice at one time.

ksparrow and johnmilton like this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It’s been messed with and it doesn’t matter how.

9. Steve Shupe

Steve Shupe Active Member

For Sure it has been dipped. There is no way that you would have a "White" coin from 196 years ago. Silver is a very reactive metal. As others have said, the coin also has been cleaned. This is a circulated coin as you can see the wear on the high points, I'll give it an AU50 grade to start, but the coin is missing Luster in the fields so that drops it to about net EF 40.

10. Jedinited

Jedinited Jayhawk Numismatist

Dipped no doubt...

11. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Cleaned/dipped are as mildly generous descriptions as any other descriptions, I guess.

12. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

The cleaning made the coin look fake. No life in the coin, but I see it sold for $176.50, so someone liked it.

13. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I can think of several coins I'd rather spend that kind of money on. Oh well, to each their own!

14. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

EBay said it sold for $176.00. Not a bad price but a lot more than what I would pay. If I owned it and if it's not covered in hair lines, it could easily be toned down. It would take about a year or more, but it would look better. Set it on a shelf and flip it over once a month and over time it will slowly tone. When it darkens to your liking put it in a 2 x 2. It will likely never look natural, but it would better. I would avoid a coin like that, but it can be helped.

15. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Just needs the skin back.

1865King likes this.
  16. Tamaracian

Tamaracian 12+ Yr Member--Supporter

@fretboard Yes that coin has been cleaned. Even with coining using a Screw Press there would be mint luster in the fields of a circulated coin--without heavy toning--let alone a near uncirculated coin. For comparison purposes the below photos are of a Bust Half that I sold through GC in 2016; NOTE that even though it is toned overall and has multi-color peripheral toning, it had been cleaned a long time ago, which was apparent to the graders at PCGS:

334220-1.jpg

334220-2.jpg

Here's another one with toning from the same auction that was graded AU-58, but you can see the differentiation in the fields and around the devices where original mint luster is still present vs. the 1827:

337009-1.jpg

337009-2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
    MIGuy and fretboard like this.
  17. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The OP coin has an extremely unnatural look that is very hard to sell in the current market. What’s been done to it is way over the top. Getting EF money for it would be tough. Most collectors will prefer the straight graded EF.

A coin doctor could fix it to a degree with a little toning, but it won’t help much.

ksparrow likes this.
  18. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

fretboard likes this.
  19. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

when I first started collecting, I bought some seated and bust type coins raw on eBay, nearly all of them white/cleaned/dipped/polished; out of curiosity I wrapped some of them in brown paper and put them in a cardboard box for about 10 years. some of them toned nicely and some toned ugly. All of them have an unnatural reflectivity under the toning. You can't reproduce original skin. The coin in the op has been completely and relentlessly stripped; it's like a burn victim in need of a total body skin graft.
    This is kinda the look that I prefer..
    [​IMG][​IMG]

MIGuy and NSP like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted