what would you say to Mike Mesak on Coin Collector?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by banny, Feb 11, 2012.

1. banny

banny Junior Member

I just watched an episode on HSN of Coin Collector with Mike Mesak and the female host. I know everyone's feelings on here about T.V coin shows and Mesak in particular, but assuming you called in live to the show, what would you as educated coin collectors say to him? I'm not talking about getting nasty. But for example, when he quotes a leading catalog, would you make him name it? Like someone who knows the tricks of a good used car salesman, what points would you bring up to let everyone know the deal isn't that great if you could.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'd ask him if he wanted to buy my 20,000 Uncirculated Westward Journey nickels for $5,000.

Chris

4. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

I'd call him a marketing genius.

5. treehugger

treehugger Well-Known Member

They typically only use 2 TPGs; those being ANACS and ICG. He always refers to them as being in the Top 4 coin grading companies. I would ask him what the other 2 were and where they ranked in the Top 4 listing. After he answered that, I would say "well if PCGS and NGC are the top 2, why don't you ever use them? You're always talking about the fact people want the best, so why don't you bring us the BEST 2 coin grading companies?"

6. banny

banny Junior Member

This is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for.

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

They have used both many times. The TPG that gets their work is the one that gives the best bid (cheapest price) to do the work.

8. I would ask him the following:

Do you have a special arrangement with ANACS that guarantees you a certain percentage of MS70 or PR70 graded coins per specific number of coins submitted?

TC

9. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

On very rare occasions he does offer PCGS and NGC graded coins.

10. dannic113

dannic113 Member

No more statehood quarters, no more year sets of statehood quarters, no more proof statehood quarters, no more layered in 24K pure gold statehood quarters. No more presidential dollars, no more proof presiential dollars. What's next platinum layered (they are already golden colored) presidential dollars? I can get 99-2009 mint and proof sets (excluding silver sets) for less than the mint sold them why should I pay your markup?

11. Silver soul

Silver soul Member

I would ask Mike if he knows Robert Chambers?

12. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I wouldn't ask him anything. I don't begrudge them their sales. If it weren't for their program, many people would not buy collectible coins at all. Them using their "leading numismatic catalog" is a touch misleading, I wish they used something like a Redbook instead, but that is the extent of my gripes.

Listen, anything you buy from tv or telemarketers or any higher priced advertising medium will be much more expensive than you can buy elsewhere. I can buy nacho chips from a convenience store for say $4. Equivalent amount in a grovery store maybe $2.50. Same quantity at Costco maybe $1.75, but same quantity at Restaurant Depot for $1. That is life. I do not picket the convenience stores or grocery stores near me, not pillory them online for being "scams". They have higher expenses, and must charge more. Why are we so darned quick here to do the same with higher cost coin sales outlets? Don't like it, become educated and learn where to buy cheaper. :)

Chris

13. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

I'd ask how he can sleep at night.

14. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP Supporter

lol! :d

15. chip

chip Novice collector

Yeah those sacks of gold coins must be a little rough to rest on.

I think I would ask him why he got rid of his "ollie" the little fat guy that used to share the hosting duties. Besides looking at the coins and figuring out how much cheaper I could get them at some of the local stores, I used to be amused by the Mutt and Jeff team they had going.

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Why would I want to talk to him?

dwhiz likes this.
  17. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I would say"Keep up the good work, as THIS IS THE FUNNIEST show on TV"

18. krispy

krispy krispy

I'd ask him:

Please Mike, whisper those words, 'red oak presentation box' into my ears a few times so I may fall asleep dreaming of great coin deals...

[video=youtube_share;vS8K74kwexg]http://youtu.be/vS8K74kwexg[/video]

"'Come on in and join the team!"

19. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

So much better with the sound off.:D

20. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

:devil: he sounds like a good politician !!! :devil:

21. treehugger

treehugger Well-Known Member

Something tells me "good politician" might be an oxymoron.

Draft saved Draft deleted