What would you grade this Stalin coin as?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by iPen, May 1, 2016.

1. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of doing a WWII figurehead collection. This is a Czechoslovakian coin but it's silver and has a bust of Stalin on it. The condition appears to be fine, though I do see some fine, light striations moving diagonally from bottom right to top left. Some cuds or other marks on the rim/edges.

Any thoughts on a grade for the obverse?

Thanks in advance!

upload_2016-5-1_12-51-52.png

Paul M. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with it. I'd have to see it in hand to see the luster. Just from the pics it looks at least xf closer to Au

4. John King

John King Member

I have noticed many Nazi silver coins on Ebay. They don't appeal to me. I have never seen a coin with Comrade Stalin on it before. Very impressive. I have 1909 Russian Kopek with the Czar on it. I need to get my camera in gear so I can post some pics here.

5. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

If you're interested, that Stalin coin is a 1949 Czechoslovakia 100 Korun silver coin. So, not exactly a USSR coin but an Eastern European communist bloc country.

6. John King

John King Member

So what would be the silver content of the Stalin coin? Is it close to what a US silver dollar contains in silver? I like all the big silver coins. Now the USA went off the silver standard in 1964-65. What about other countries in the world?

7. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

I would say, it is Aunc.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  8. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

It varies but most took the silver out a tad before or after we did. Canada stopped 1967 and in 68 I think from 80 percent to half. France in the 60s, England the 50s I think, Australia early 60s, etc. Mexico put silver in their Nuevo pesos (as low as the 10 pesos) up until 1993 or 94. Their 100 pesos still have a sterling center but I heard they never really circulated

9. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Nice coin, I have both the 50 and 100 korun with this design. The design is kinda flat and not super detailed, but I am not seeing any obvious wear on your coin. Possibly a cloth swipe from what I'm seeing beneath the chin going down.

10. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

11. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The Federal Republic of Germany had 5 DM silver circulation coins (Ag 625) until 1975. The country still issue silver collector coins at face. But if all that one is interested in is the silver content, a bullion piece would make more sense.

Christian

12. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

This particular Stalin coin is 50% silver, 14 grams total (7 grams silver), and is 31mm. It's practically the same size as a US half dollar, which is slightly less than 31mm, weighs a little more overall, but has far less silver (90% vs 50%).

princeofwaldo likes this.
  13. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

Many of those Czech silver coins from that era have fantastic designs, though I've always thought the Stalin issue was a wee bit weak artistically. In any case, they are all very reasonably priced and within the reach of beginning collectors who want high grade examples of coins in silver that are at least 50 years old. IMG_1730.JPG IMG_1729.JPG I picked this one up raw for $50. Was finest graded when it came back from NGC a year or two ago. (probably still is).

mlov43, Siberian Man and Paul M. like this.
  14. Siberian Man

Yes it is. Czech coins of 40's/50's are very beautifull.

Attached Files:

• 67.jpg
      67.jpg
      File size:
      166.2 KB
      Views:
    • 68.jpg
      68.jpg
      File size:
      175.5 KB
      Views:
    • 69.jpg
      69.jpg
      File size:
      156 KB
      Views:
    • 70.jpg
      70.jpg
      File size:
      164.8 KB
      Views:
    • 71.jpg
      71.jpg
      File size:
      155.1 KB
      Views:
    • 72.jpg
      72.jpg
      File size:
      159.8 KB
      Views:
    princeofwaldo, sonlarson and chrisild like this.
  15. Siberian Man

And not only silver coins...

Attached Files:

• 55.jpg
      55.jpg
      File size:
      81.3 KB
      Views:
    • 56.jpg
      56.jpg
      File size:
      92.5 KB
      Views:
    • 59.jpg
      59.jpg
      File size:
      87.7 KB
      Views:
    • 60.jpg
      60.jpg
      File size:
      97.8 KB
      Views:
    princeofwaldo, sonlarson and chrisild like this.
  16. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

Nice set of coins you have there Siberian Man!

17. Siberian Man

Thanks, Prince!

Draft saved Draft deleted