What would you grade this Morgan?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by treylxapi47, Feb 28, 2015.

1. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

I'm at 63, albeit a really nice one.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

4. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

Help the newbe here understand why it's grading is so high even though there looks to be a gouge on the back just under the star bottom left or is that just a blemish ?

5. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

6. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I don't think that's a gouge in the coin. It looks like a lighting issue in the photo. Could just be a darker area of the toning, but it isn't capture well, or something like that...

7. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

Well this is nice news to hear from everyone.

I understand this exercise is somewhat futile with pictures that aren't mine and for now can't get any that are better.

However I purchased this coin as a little experiment. It immediately caught my attention and I purchased it without doing any research or pricing. I saw the coin, read the grade on the slab, and hit BIN two seconds later.

It may have been a mistake, but a gamble I was willing to take none the less.

So here is what I purchased the coin as:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425217963.879438.jpg

I fully expect an MS-63 all the way to an MS-65 on this one, and can't figure out from the photos why this would have received a 61 to begin with.

I'm curious to see what the Market thinks this coin should grade as.

JPeace$ likes this.
  8. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Do you think it could have been net graded because ANACS thought it had artificial toning?

9. treylxapi47

No. That's pretty natural toning to me. I think there is going to be some hidden abrasions that are washed out from the way the photo was taken.

It was a gamble for an upgrade, and sort of an experiment for myself.

10. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

IF it is on the coin, I think that scrape or scratch right under the M in "Unum" may have resulted in the lower than expected grade. This is, of course, based on the picture, and not actually having coin in hand. Had it not had the scrape, I would have said MS 63 for sure--that is what the coin looks like overall. I don't see a gem or near gem grade--BU (solid 63) for sure, had it not had an abrasion like that.

11. treylxapi47

Is that using today's standard or when this coin was slabbed standard?

I think with how we see market grading today, I can get this coin in a 63, maybe 64 holder.

Either way, for a hundred bucks I did alright. That's still nice eye appeal for a 61 and that price tag.

12. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

13. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I can't see that coin as an MS-61, but there could be plenty hidden by the images.

14. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

The toning looks like standard secondary album toning to me, nothing out of the ordinary. I'm thinking that the photos must be hiding something.

15. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Ya know,if this was in a pcgs or ngc holder from that era,id say w/o a doubt that coin would upgrade a point or 2... But from my experience those blue ANA slabs are all over the place grade wise.. I hope you plan on taking better images when the coin arrives so we can do this again.. Good Luck

16. treylxapi47

That's not a blue ANACS slab, it's an old small white one, and not only that, it's an early one.

I'm hoping it's been sitting awhile and is fresh to the market and hasn't been cherried for an upgraded holder.

Kirkuleez likes this.
  17. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I was reasonably sure it was toning because the color of that area is the as the toning near "NE DOLLA".

18. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

I never called it an anacs slab, I said blue ANA... I know exactly what it is and what timeframe it came from... You misunderstood me, the point was: these particular slabs arent like the pcgs and ngc holders from 1989 which are usually undergraded by todays standards, these ones are normally all over the place some high some low some about right.... that was the point.. but it IS a small sample size because i dont run across these that often.. alot of them are hoarded by slab collectors and/or have been cracked already

19. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Trey, that would go at least MS63 tomorrow in a PCGS or NGC holder. The ANA just invented the market grading standards, what do they know about them? :)

20. treylxapi47

Im sorry I guess your words above confused me. That said slab, so I assumed you made an easy mistake on how that coin was housed and we were speaking about two different things.

I don't know about you and your small sample size, but I ACTIVELY collect these holders and have found many great coins and deals simply because they aren't PCGS and NGC and many people ignore them because they aren't. Oh well.

21. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

It's an awesome coin. But.. but... I thought ANACS coins were always over-graded garbage, and ANACS was a third-rate grading company blah blah blah...

treylxapi47 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted