What would you grade this as?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by iPen, Apr 28, 2016.

1. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Here's a 1908 Philippines Peso minted at San Francisco. It's very difficult to make out any original luster. Yet there's a considerable amount of toning. There are plenty of contact marks, as you can see.

Aside... an interesting back story on these Pesos... during WWII in 1942, in response to the advancing Japanese army, the US Army recorded the serial numbers of Philippine's paper currency and burned what were at the treasury, loaded as much gold and silver bullion they could onto the ballasts of the USS Trout, and shipped them over to the San Francisco Mint. However, about 425 tons of silver Pesos weren't able to be loaded, especially in the rush of war. Consequently, to avoid confiscation of the remaining silver at the treasury by the Japanese, the US Army dumped 425 tons of these silver Pesos onto the floor bed of the Philippine's Caballo Bay.

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jaelus likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I see it as XF based on the obverse.

4. noname

noname Well-Known Member

I'll post my 1909 1 peso coin later

5. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I'm in the EF area too as these were not the best struck coins .

6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

7. noname

noname Well-Known Member

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I'd grade it: Cleaned & retoned

9. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I don't see it as cleaned.
    My evidence is the differential toning around the devices, particularly on the obverse.

10. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Low to mid AU and not cleaned. Nice looking coin :)

11. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I think lower AU, nice toning as many of them are a muddy brown.
    The Japanese salvaged a good bit of the silver that had been dumped in the bay, and struck medallions commemorating the conquest, which were given to the soldiers. Interesting pieces that show up at auction from time to time.

Draft saved Draft deleted