What would you give away?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Maxim Hofstede, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Maxim Hofstede

Maxim Hofstede Active Member

As we all know Christmas is coming up, the time for laughter, joy and graciousness so I wonder what coin would you give away to a young coin collector that is just starting and is wondering what coin collecting is like.

For me personally I would give away a 1944-P Walking Liberty AU-55 of Low MS grade in a graded case, just to show him or her the brilliance of a wonderfully designed coin and to get him or her into silver coinage, I'll love to hear what you have to say please comment or amend my decision.

Good Luck And Happy Hunting

green18 and -Andy- like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. UnCommonCents

UnCommonCents Variety Collector

Great gift idea! I like doing birth year mint or proof sets.

green18 and Maxim Hofstede like this.
  4. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I probably would go with a proof set of the birth year or a nice individual proof from that year.

Maxim Hofstede likes this.
  5. Maxim Hofstede

Those would work great!

6. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I think a nice Morgan Dollar would be great. It's an "old" coin, big and silver. I think it would hold their attention and possibly get their curiosity going about how things used to be. At least that's what happened for me.

JPeace$ and Maxim Hofstede like this.
  7. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I do an OGP proof ASE for everyone of my friends that have a kid. But yes, get them early, our hobby is getting old. Just look at our CT membership. :shame:

Maxim Hofstede likes this.
  8. Falconetti

Falconetti Member

100 wheat cents

Amos 811 and Maxim Hofstede like this.
  9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Hey folks, I'm really only 12...that's just my Halloween makeup in my avatar. Start sending me those great gifts!:smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

10. Maxim Hofstede

What option do you like most

11. Santinidollar

When this crew goes to the great beyond, we will need an ample supply of young collectors to buy our coins from our heirs.

When you get right down to it, that's the way it's supposed to work...

12. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I would go to a LCS and get a sack full of junk bin finds of all denominations and countries. Throw in a bunch of US coins that no longer fit my collection, and an ancient or 2. Put them all in a cigar box with a loop and let them do the investigating and research. If it or any coin really interest them they'll be hooked for life. Sometimes just having something that none of your peers has, even if it's just knowledge, can be quite a fulfilling hobby.

longshot and Santinidollar like this.
  13. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Actually I like the idea of a Morgan Dollar if I were to give something nice. A great hefty piece of history. But I would probably opt for a coin that had been circulated as it had some "REAL" history behind it. Left to the imagination one might think maybe one of the great outlaws might have had it in hand at one time and plunked it over a saloon bar, or maybe a famous political figure paid someone for votes with it. Oh, the possibilities. And I'm really going to be 61 next month. I do need some make up.

Santinidollar likes this.
  14. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

I like the Morgan Dollar idea, but why not a Draped Bust Large Cent? If you know where to look, you can find them for ~$20-30 each in heavily circulated condition so it is a real piece of history.

What about a half dime? It will pique the interest of your kids to find out that five-cent pieces once had no nickel in them! What should we call them? Silvers?

Santinidollar and NSP like this.
  15. Santinidollar

I found that coin collecting as a kid really triggered an interest in history. That's a topic in short supply today considering how many people don't know who's buried in Grant's tomb.

tommyc03 likes this.
  16. Santinidollar

I think Morgan dollars are full of history. I have to admit a bit of prejudice: they are my favorite coin.

JPeace$ and tommyc03 like this.
  17. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Not crazy about Morgans, but a good first coin for a new collector, or perhaps a Peace Dollar.

18. Santinidollar

Since the Peace is connected to World War I, you would have a specfic historical event that one could study.

19. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

Probably an UNC Peace Dollar, or a nice AU Barber Dime. Those are fun.

20. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Any (and I already do give them away) of the obsolete values...half cent, two cent, three cent, and twenty cent coins.

21. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

last year i handed out 1oz silver eagles, i will be handing these out this year...

2015_1_oz_silver_koala.jpg 2016-1-oz-silver-kookaburra-02.jpg bbfs---03994-great-horned-owl-02.jpg

Santinidollar likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted