What would you expert collectors do?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Barney McRae, Jun 21, 2024.

1. Barney McRae

Barney McRae Supporter! Supporter

Going through a vast collection I inherited and finally going into the weeds and details piece by piece lately. (Peace, in this case). I just came across an amazing 1924 Peace dollar, cleanest fields and devices I've ever seen on a silver dollar in hand. But it's got a small dark spot (and it's tiny) near the rim, but the question is, would you try a soak in acetone or even risk it? I recently got a coin microscope camera but it's no good for a whole coin photo, so don't ask for one. Is it worth sending off for grading and paying for conservation? (I will send for grading either way). I only use ANACs and they aren't terribly expensive. Laugh if you want, but using PCGS photograde, it could be a 66. Opinions? I don't even want to pull it out of the saflip it's in again and risk a disaster, not even for a photo. Not a super valuable coin even in high grade, but a gem plus coin would make my day.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Try your microscope on a higher stand. I couldn't get full photos of silver dollars with mine either. See my setup here. The Morgan is under the lens and full view on my monitor. IMG_5924.JPG

4. Barney McRae

Thanks for the suggestion. But........I tried that. My stand is really short, so I stacked a bunch of big books to set it up on and reversed the camera so it's not blocked by the stand base. Not only was it unstable and hard to get a stationary picture, my camera's focus won't allow for a clear photo at the increased distance. I need to look for a secondary full coin camera. I really like a camera designated and set up for coins and not use a phone or 35 mm.

Inspector43 likes this.
  5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

The best camera is the one you have Barney. with a vast collection I would sell a couple coins and find a DineLite. Or a good scope like what inspector has. Can't cost you more than a 100 bucks. Until we see the type of spot, I wouldn't try anything on it. Even then it's iffy because destroyed luster even in a small spot, would be noticeable on a coin 66 and above.

imrich, Inspector43 and Barney McRae like this.
  6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Acetone won't harm your coin and it might or might not remove the blemish.......*

Inspector43 likes this.
  7. Barney McRae

I've got a couple of other real head scratchers with big time weird blemishes that are beyond explanation. I may break out the 35 mm tomorrow to show ya'lll what I mean. At first I thought those particular problems were PVC residue. So I soaked those (low value coins) and nada. Still there. Dabbed some MS70 on them. Nothing. Ended up dipping in E-zest. Didn't touch it. :eek::D I'll take photos of those, don't care if they get mangled with me handling those. lol

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I do not see a picture of the coin.

Inspector43 likes this.
  9. Pickin and Grinin

That's carbon, quit with the treatments.

10. Barney McRae

Pics tomorrow. What causes that damage? I was afraid of something like this. Luckily it's on low value coins.

11. Pickin and Grinin

For all I know it could be Verdigris. You said this coin was mark free and lustrous.

Barney McRae likes this.
  12. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

You said! LOL, mark free and lustrous..
    We'll wait for the Super-Duper Pics to arrive. biggrin.gif

Barney McRae likes this.
  13. Barney McRae

Nope Jack Young. You are confusing two different coins in the same thread. (I'm funning you, the original one has a tiny tiny mark) ;) I'm talking about a couple more with big ole shiners on them. lol You've got me grinning now. :p

"I've got a couple of other real head scratchers with big time weird blemishes "

14. Barney McRae

By the way, can't wait to get that 83 CC graded. It's everything I'd hoped for.

[​IMG]

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  15. Barney McRae

LOL........ see above. My pictures suck. Are you new here? :p

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  16. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Pictures? Where? Am I new? Not new, just lost most of the time.

charley likes this.
  17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

How do you give an opinion of something you can't see?

gmarguli and SensibleSal66 like this.
  18. charley

charley Well-Known Member

What would I do....what would I do....

I REMEMBER!!!

I would have examined the piece in hand, before buying, and with any blemishes, clouds, weirdo colored or not quite right shiny areas stuff, I would have....wait...wait...

NOT BOUGHT IT!

Whew!! I was a bit worried for a moment that I might not pass this memory test. After all, I am old (but I do absolutely forget stuff on purpose if SHE utters it or wants me to buy or get something).

19. Mr. Numismatist

Mr. Numismatist Strawberry Token Enthusiast

Great advice! However, the OP inherited the coin in question.

20. Barney McRae

Okay, I'm back. The coin in question. How much of a ding in grade is this? I haven't messed with it whatsoever, not even dipped in acetone. Really no point in taking the reverse photo, it doesn't have anything to do with the subject matter. I don't think these carbon spots are coming out (thanks Pickin, I believe you are 100% correct). Maybe the TPGs have some sorcery to fix it . Spot at 1:00 above the R 24A.JPG , IDKl

21. Barney McRae

Images can be enlarged by clicking on the image. Really nice feature of Coin Talk.

Here are the two that have grotesque carbon spots. I've almost tried everything but harsh cleaning. Acetone dip, light MS70 application, Ezest dip. Since these are already ugly ducklings worth barely more than melt, there is one more thing I am going to try on them without abrasion. Electrolysis. 22A.JPG 22B.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted