What would you do??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by davdo, Oct 17, 2008.

1. davdo

davdo Senior Member

I have one of the 'maps' of the US for the state quarters. It is the type that has a 'quarter-sized' piece of cardboard that you take out when you put the state quarter 'on the map'. I took out the Alaska 'disc' today to put the Alaska quarter in and the hole is too big!!!! Anyone have an idea how to secure an Alaska quarter in the hole?? All of the other ones have stayed very nicely. Thanks for any help in advance!!!! David.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Indianhead65

Indianhead65 Well-Known Member

There are probably very limited options for this problem, I just cant think of anything. You cant make the coin bigger or the hole smaller. This only leaves one solution the way I see it. On second thought maybe you shouldn't...lol

4. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Maybe some tiny shims of mylar or a rubber band wrapped around the coin? Did u wash the quarter and it shrunk?

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

A shim of mylar around the coin long enough to hold it. is the best bet with albums. I don't feel rubber bands are safe being in contact with the coin.

6. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

"No!" to rubber bands.
    They are made using sulfur, and that's generally death to coins, even clad ones.

Unfortunately I can't come up with a good (and easy) solution.

7. Haleiwa

Haleiwa New Member

do your best and caulk the rest! :eek: Yup . . . glue da bugga in

8. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

For one thing rubber bands do not contain Sulfur. Some may, but most do not. Most are just rubber.
    And for sticking that coin into the oversized slot, my suggestion is to use a quarter that you don't care about and do as already noted. Glue it in place. If you ever want to replace it, use rubber cement. It will not stick permanently.
    If your folder for those quarters is made in such a way that the back of the slot is shinny, that is the glue from the manufacturing process so wetting it may make that quarter stick. You could also try using your finger nail or a screwdriver on the edges of the slot prior to putting the coin in there. Press the edges towards the slot making the slot a little smaller. That too may make the coin stay put. If none of the above, just take a small peice of paper, cut thin and use as a wedge.
    In reality those folders are mass produced and not real well for the preservation of coins. If your using the average folder for those quarters they will probably be all ruined in a few years from the materials used to make that thing.

9. SINED

SINED XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

A new album of a different type.

10. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Take the black inert portion of an airtight and trim it to fit...just that simple.

RickieB

11. davdo

davdo Senior Member

Thanks for the ideas!! I don't want to use glue--it just doesn't 'feel' right doing that!!! lol.
    I'm going to try the wedge idea. It is not an album, it is one of the big 'maps' of the US with the state quarter from each state inserted in the slot for that state. Thanks again. If anyone else has an idea not mentioned, please post it. David.

Draft saved Draft deleted