What would you do?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 1827jim, Jul 1, 2019.

1. 1827jim

1827jim Member

What would you do with this coin? 20190624_204518.jpg
    20190624_204441.jpg

As you can see it has encrustations but also promising details and some silvering.

Worth paying to have cleaned? Considering I dont have the skills and experience to do so myself?

Thanks.

Ryro, Marsyas Mike, ominus1 and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

That is a nice looking coin. I'm not sure the value of the coin would exceed that the cost of paying someone else to clean it would be though. From what I understand in my reading, and limited cleaning experience, what is under that green stuff tends to not be pretty.

1827jim likes this.
  4. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

I think it depends on your intent with the coin. If you intend to eventually get rid of it, then you must consider the cost effectiveness of having it cleaned. (perhaps someone on this forum who cleans ancients would volunteer for the challenge!?)

On the other hand, if you intend to "keep it forever", don't worry about the cost...it's for your enjoyment. :happy:

One thing is for certain, in that condition, it's not going to stop or get better on its own. ;)

1827jim and furryfrog02 like this.
  5. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I'd start by giving it a simple week long soak in distilled water and a brushing to see what happens after that.

Edit: the green doesn't look terribly white and powdery, so it might just be literal patina and not bronze disease. Some mild manual work with bamboo skewer/toothpick (while still wet/moist from DW) might yield some results too.

6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I agree with Justin - a distilled water soak followed by toothbrush/toothpick work. Sometimes yields good results, though not always. I'm hoping some of the powdery green stuff might loosen and come off. Keep in mind that these Constantinian bronzes were made with poor quality metal for the most part, and don't stand up well to too much cleaning - nothing like the quality of orichalcum from the earlier Empire.

1827jim likes this.
  7. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..some of the green looks to be BD(but it doesn't mean it is)...i'd douch it with Verdi-care if it was me..

Kentucky and 1827jim like this.
  8. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Treat the green for BD, but sometimes green is just green...

I have a coin with green deposits that look just like BD, but is rock hard and have never spread, and don't react to Verdicare.

Heavymetal, 1827jim and ominus1 like this.
  9. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

After soaking in DW and cleaning with a toothbrush and dish-washing soap, which should remove most of the dirt, you might try lightly scrubbing it with a brass bristle brush, which you can buy in just about any hardware or department store for a couple of dollars. Brass is softer than bronze and won't scratch the coin, but it might help remove a little bit of the green encrustation. (Disclaimer: it can scratch certain soft patinas, but the patina on your coin appears to be pretty stable.) But you don't want to remove all of the green because, as others have said, what's underneath it will be pretty rough.

1827jim likes this.
  10. 1827jim

1827jim Member

On closer inspection the crust is removed quite easily and so far the surface seems ok underneath. Thanks

Kentucky likes this.
  11. 1827jim

1827jim Member

I will follow this advice thank you. Pictures to follow.

12. 1827jim

1827jim Member

I have some sodium sesquicarbonate which I have not tested yet for now I will stick to DW water and brush.

My main objective is reduce the crust without touching the silvering too much.

Thanks

13. 1827jim

1827jim Member

Thankyou to everyone for the advice.

I will add images through the process.

Kentucky and ominus1 like this.
  14. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

The brass brush mentioned above will not scratch the bronze (assuming it is good quality bronze), but I would think it might easily remove any remaining silver.

1827jim likes this.
  15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Verdicare overnight and a toothbrush

1827jim likes this.
  16. NormW

NormW Student Of Coinology

Isn't this about a $20 coin on a good day?

1827jim likes this.
  17. 1827jim

1827jim Member

I challenge you @NormW to find this coin online for sale 20$.

Orange Julius likes this.
  18. 1827jim

1827jim Member

@NormW you have my word I will pay you 20$ if you can find the same type with similar silvering alone not even for sale. Must be the same portrait with similar silvering and promising details. Good luck.

19. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

It appears there aren't many from the -CONST mint. This example sold for $151+BP, though the provenance could've increased it slightly. It is also from a different workshop (Q versus Γ, I can't find ΓCONST on ACSearch):
    [​IMG]
    http://www.vauctions.com/ViewArchiveItem.asp?ID=5971

Some campgate types can be very common, and in lesser condition can certainly be had for the aforementioned $20.

Jim's appears to have some nice potential and is not very typical.

1827jim and Bing like this.
  20. 1827jim

1827jim Member

Thank's for the image!
    After the DW soak I can use this image as a reference when removing the debris.

21. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

That is correct. I don't see any silvering remaining on the surface in the photo--on my monitor, it looks like dirt--but if there is some of the original silver wash left, then you should probably avoid using the brass bristle brush.
    Wise decision. That stuff is nasty, and I would avoid using it. Even if your coin does turn out to have bronze disease--which I doubt--you can cure it much more safely with repeated distilled water soaks.

Draft saved Draft deleted