What would you do?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Oct 19, 2018.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

But if one doesn't have any raw coins worth grading, then what?

Plus the communication says "we will work with management to get some free grading vouchers"
    They don't say how many (could be 2) nor do they guarantee it. I could just as easily send it in and then "management" decides they can't give out anything for mechanical errors. Even if I were to receive the grading vouchers, I'm suspicious they would keep a tab on who I was and not grade anything I sent fairly.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

You can call them, and ask for a supervisor... they will tell you how many vouchers you get.

4. ddddd

ddddd Member

True, but why be secretive about it and not just write it?
    Saying something on the phone is one thing, but putting it in writing is another.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

There's only one guy there that handles the free vouchers. I know this because I've gotten a few myself once. 4 if memory serves. Anyway, your communication doesn't sound like it was with him, a supervisor. It was with a random customer service rep. Just call and ask to speak to their supervisor regarding free vouchers. Who knows... maybe he will give you 6 or 8!?

6. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Actually CBD has a good point if theres only 1 guy with the authority to issue these. Noone at PCGS will be as good of an advocate or salesmen explaining why you want some real initiative to send it back.
    I would call and try to negotiate with this supervisor if you dont end up selling it

7. ddddd

ddddd Member

I might give the phone call a try.
    I'll just need to find a pay phone (do these even exist any more?) so they can't track my location. :D

Edit: still what would one do with x number of vouchers if you don't have much to grade? And do you trust PCGS will be unbiased in grading the items from the person that made them give up free vouchers (vouchers that they weren't even offering until I mentioned the compensation part)?

8. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

PCGS once mailed a many-thousand-dollar order to the wrong person (who happened to be a CCF member). The CCF member did the right thing and let PCGS know, and PCGS said they would give ther person free grading vouchers. They never came, and the person fought with PCGS for months before they finally gace him some free grading vouchers.

In other words, their “we will work on it” has historically meant “we will entice you to work in our favor, but we will screw you over any chance we get.”

9. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Be sure to record the conversation. If they commit to something, you will have proof that they did so they can’t reverse their decision.

10. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

Strange. Looks pretty obvious to me. Although, I have seen way too many coins with that same type of toning straight graded in both PCGS and NGC slabs. So obviously some of that stuff slips through, just not that one that time.

11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

They must have got your information from the CU forum.

12. ddddd

ddddd Member

It was from Instagram. Multiple people tagged their account and it took several days for them to notice. I suspect someone may have even privately messaged them.

13. ddddd

ddddd Member

I actually also thought it was AT (or at least questionable toning). However, several Washington Quarter experts on CU loved the color.

I have seen a bunch of questionable items get through over the last few years (especially Silver Eagles and modern proof toners in PCGS slabs-some were gased but plenty were straight graded).

14. ddddd

ddddd Member

Good to see some honest people like that CCF member!

As for the big companies, it seems like they just don't care. Yes they want to remove their "mistakes" but they don't want to do the hard work. If the mistake is their own, the burden should not fall on the customer to squeeze out proper compensation.

Draft saved Draft deleted