What would you do?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Oct 19, 2018.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

Hey all, so you might recall the recent GTG post for this quarter.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/guess-the-grade-washington-quarter.325165/

Well PCGS has stepped in and wants the coin back. They say they will clean up the label (I’m not sure what that means: just details or MS 66). They have offered to fix it for free and add some grading vouchers after management allows it. And they promised to void the cert lookup if they don’t get the coin back.

So the big question: what would you do? What if you’re an unusual slab collector, is it still the same answer?

9344BAAD-A907-4E0D-A67B-55FEF2C12C89.jpeg

green18, dwhiz and paddyman98 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Keep it the way it Is!
    It will always be a great conversation item!

TypeCoin971793, ddddd and jtlee321 like this.
  4. Ericred

Ericred Active Member

Keep it

ddddd likes this.
  5. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

Why do they have to pull the certification?
    Why not just make a comment on the certification page?

ddddd and Ericred like this.
  6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

This coin has struck a nerve with them. There quality control hasn't been the best in a while. This threat is their attempt at bulling you into submission. I think that it has a cool label and has a little history behind the coin. I would probably keep it.

7. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

I was thinking keep it, until they said the would remove it from the database. If you every try to sell it, most people are going to think it’s a fake...

ddddd likes this.
  8. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

As a "coin", they have the power to smack you around by deleting the cert. They want to remove the 66 grade from the label.

As a "look at THIS hot mess" slab, they can't do anything to you.

P&G is right. PCGS has been screwing up big time far more often than their fanbois would like to admit. You have the evidence that PCGS is no more elite than any other overstressed jabronie.

Questionable color? Heck, it looks just like the exhaust header on my old man's old BMW motorcycle from the 1960's.

9. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Yep, this interesting development just ADDS to the coolness of this unique slab. Someone out there would probably pay a nice premium for it. PM Larry Pelf & see if he wants to add it to his prestigious error label collection:p
    Who cares about an invalid cert, it was basically invalid already with 2 different grades and only one showing up on the coinfacts page. I vote keep it !!

ddddd likes this.
  10. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Besides, assuming the reverse is pretty much mark-free, 66 is a reasonable grade.

ddddd likes this.
  11. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

It would depend on other offers I get for the slab. If PCGS were to offer 4 vouchers, and I had an offer of $150 cash, I'm taking the cash, assuming the buyer is good with the cert going invalid.

I'm guessing they're going to take the 66 off the label and leave it at QT. It's probably an expertly done "directional gas" toning job. 64-D quarters are a plentiful and cheap "canvas" for the AT pros.

ldhair, ddddd, dwhiz and 2 others like this.
  12. Legoman1

Legoman1 Active Member

How do the vouchers work? Is PCGS able to grade future coins for free with them? If you get some grading vouchers, it might be worth it, counting a 64 D is common, as messydesk said.

ddddd likes this.
  13. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I'd keep it!! I love that fact that they sent you a document that you can keep with the coin admitting to the "error". It threatens to deactivate the cert on it which in of itself proves the coin is not fake. Just print out the communication from PCGS and explain to any future buyer exactly what the deal is, I'll bet the request to fix or threat to deactivate makes it just a little better. :)

14. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

It took me 10 mins to figure out what is wrong. Then I realized u cant have a details and a straight grade

ddddd likes this.
  15. jtlee321

By the way, since they are going to kill the cert number and the coin is AT and only worth melt, I'll give you $5.00 for it. :p

ddddd and Legoman1 like this.
  16. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Keep copies of their email / letter. And sell a copy when you sell the coin .. should add to it's value and authenticate their unauthentication.

take a screen snapshot of their website authentication too.

MS66 Unc Details .. wonderful error !!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  17. Legoman1

Legoman1 Active Member

Why only $5, jtlee321? It IS MS66...

ddddd likes this.
  18. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

I'd keep it the way it is.

MikeinWyo and ddddd like this.
  19. jtlee321

I was messing with him. Playing off of PCGS' threat that it's an UNC Details coin.

ddddd and Legoman1 like this.
  20. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

It's super bizarre. Definitely keep it.

ddddd likes this.
  21. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

If it were mine and got $150. cash I'd sure sell it.

ddddd likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted