What would you do?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ToughCOINS, Nov 24, 2015.

?

What would you do?

1. Cancel the transaction and relist my coin for sale

2. Buy the coin on eBay myself

3. Prompt the buyer for a deposit before the eBay coin ends

4. Relist and tell the buyer he can buy my coin whenever he can afford to make the entire payment

5. Indicate the coin is available to others until the deposit comes through

6. Other . . . I'm open to ideas

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

An old customer contacted me last week about a coin I had listed online and asked if he could leave an immediate deposit on it and pay the balance over the next two months (as far as I know, this is NOT a CT member). I agreed, committed the coin to him, and took it down from the website. That was last Friday.

He later emailed me, indicating he'd sent me the deposit via PayPal, which I haven't seen. I confirmed that he has my correct PayPal address, and asked that he confirm it was properly sent. I haven't heard from him since.

Interestingly, and perhaps not coincidentally, another coin of the same date has surfaced in auction format on eBay, and is still well below market, although I expect it will climb . . . in fact, I may well bid on it for inventory.

Who here thinks this buyer spotted the other coin shortly after agreeing to buy mine, and plans to welch on our deal if he can buy the other coin for less? I'm okay with him buying the other coin, if that's what's going on, but he should not be asking me to tie my coin up if he knows he may not buy it . . . especially if he hasn't put any money down on it.

Naturally, I have no proof that he hasn't tried to send me the payment, but I've seen nothing on my end, and he's not contacted me about any difficulties making a PayPal payment.

I already know what I want to do, but I am also curious as to what the majority of you think is appropriate . . .

- Mike

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I would respond and say the payment has not come through, and until it does, you can still sell to another party.

NOS and spirityoda like this.
  4. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Thanks, I'll add that as an option.

dwhiz likes this.
  5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I suspect he is playing a game. I would tell him you are relisting the coin until his deposit comes through. And if you want the EBay coin, bid on it regardless.

Amos 811 likes this.
  6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

To me, this is the critical part. And I would not do anything until I did hear from him. Of course time is an issue, obviously you can't just wait forever. So you do need to set a limit for yourself. You mentioned last Friday, this is Tuesday - is that long enough ? For some it would be, for others maybe another day or two. But personally I would wait no longer than that before I sent another email and said I have still not received a deposit so the coin is going back on my site.

To me the ebay coin is not even part of the equation. Is what you suggest possible ? Yes of course it is. But it is equally possible it is not. So for me it would play no part in my decision.

But you would perfectly within your rights to send an email right now ending it.

7. WLH22

WLH22 Well-Known Member

If you are having problems getting the first installment what is going to happen with the others? You will most likely have to continue to ask for money (even more so now during the holidays). Since coins show up on EBay, Heritage, GC, FUN, etc I don't think that is as much of an issue here.

If it were me, I would be bidding on that EBay coin (if it is a good one). I have no problem holding doubles of good coins.

8. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

If he's a good customer, I would make sure that he still wants the coin and let him know that the deposit never came through. Maybe just let him know that you have other interested parties.

Santinidollar and spirityoda like this.
  9. medjoy

medjoy Active Member

How about a phone call?

Electronic communication often lacks the nuance that an actual verbal conversation provides.

Santinidollar and NOS like this.
  10. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I always made it a point to give established customers the benefit of the doubt, and overall it worked very well for me. In fact, the worst results came from when, against my better judgment, I broke my own rule. However, I also practiced the old "fool me once" saying, meaning if games were indeed played, the next time the answer was no.

I agree that this certainly sounds suspicious, but if he indeed purchased the (I assume) ebay coin, he's not going to have the payments option as allowed by you. Without knowing the details, perhaps this isn't an issue, but is worth keeping in mind. His lack of contact could also be easily explained; I couldn't begin to tell you how many times in my life finding the time to make a call or send a simple email was a monumental task, but this, of course, was the exception and not the norm. It's your business to run as you see fit, but from what little we know of the overall situation, I would email (or call) and in a non-confrontational zero blame/suspicion way, politely press for a response, perhaps using the payment issue, but also remind him you're a business, have other customers (possibly) interested, and that you need confirmation one way or the other by X day (I would make it before the end of the other listing). Let him respectfully know that if there's no contact, the coin goes up for grabs.

11. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

ditto, and relist it.

12. I am d*mn sick of eBay sellers placing their items on eBay at a low price without reserve. For example: I bid on a kilo of antique sterling silver. The starting bid was $.99 with no reserve. My bid was the winning bid at $.99 and of. Course no other bids. I paid with PayPal and day or so later item shipped icon appeared. Weeks later no shipment received so I filed a resolution complaint with eBay. The seller then refunded my purchase price. I have had this happen with multiple sellers and I know what they are doing. They are illegally bypassing eBay's reserve price auction to save a "buck" and hoping to get a high sales price. EBay seems to let them get away with it even though they are not following the rules. They should "eat" their loss or play fair and place a fair price or use reserve auction. p.s: The silver was placed back on eBay same same.

Kentucky likes this.
  13. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I am always suspicious of any EBay auction where 99 cents is the starting bid for a coin of worth.. Action is often slow until the end when, suddenly, a single bidder keeps driving the price up. I suspect that in some of these cases, a shadow bidder is doing his thing for the seller.

14. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Until you receive the deposit the coin isn't on hold.

15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Not all sellers who use 99c starting bids are unethical. One of my good friends, Shane aka Kryptonitecomics, uses them regularly.

Chris

16. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

No other bids on a 99-cent Kilo of silver? Good heavens!

17. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Give him a deadline, like about 2 hours after your message. After that, all bets off.

18. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I've been selling on Ebay since 1999 and learned years ago that the 0.99 start is better for ultimate results than higher starting prices. Most intelligent sellers do this.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    Volante and Santinidollar like this.
  19. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I would send the buyer an email so it's in writing. Remind him the coin is on hold for him and his payment has not arrived, as per his email to you and set a deadline for payment. Remind yourself that you do not know what is happening on his end. It's all speculation on your part. A friendly reminder is a good thing and smart business. Letting him know his payment has not been received is also good business and setting a deadline gives him notice of your intentions since he has broken the contract. Best wishes.

20. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I can only speak as a buyer as I'm not much of a seller. If it were me, I'd have sent you an e-mail of apology thanking you for holding the coin for me and stating that something came up and I can no longer purchase your coin........or.......I'd have sent you the first installment.

The buyer indicates that he sent you the money via paypal. Heck, even I know the money shows up in a few minutes.

Kentucky likes this.
  21. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

The buyer is an old customer.
    But do you really want a customer like that?

Draft saved Draft deleted