What would you do with...?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Seattlite86, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

What would you do with 175+ lbs of US Cents?

I have a shipment coming in soon. I have no idea the breakdown of the coins, but will assume the majority are post 1982. I have very little time for searching them and I have young kids at home so I can't simply leave piles laying around. I have the ability to bring them to a bank and have them machine sorted for a 5% fee, or I can roll them myself and be charged nothing. Of course, I don't have any rolls and live outside of the US, so the 5% fee might be the best bet. For all you cent searchers, what would you do to tackle such a large load without much free time?

My thoughts:
    - Immediately pull and dump all shield cents
    - Pull and keep all wheat cents (or IHC if they appear)
    - Pull all 1972, 1992, 1995 to look for doubled dies
    - scan the pre 82 coins for BIE and other varieties
    - quick scan all coins for cuds as I'm sorting
    - dump the bulk in the machine and call it a day

What say you?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Personally, with THAT many cents, I'd just pull wheaties and dump the rest for 5%... no way I'd self-roll that many Lincolns.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I also search 60d (RPMS), 71(DDO), 83(DDR), 84(DDO), 92 and 92d(CAM), 98, 99, and 00 (WAMs).
    Other than that, what you posted is pretty much what I do. Minus the 5% since I have a dump bank with free coin counters.

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Shoot the person who talked me into this!

Chris

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Keep the Wheaties & Indians, spend the rest

calishield and Seattlite86 like this.
  7. Seattlite86

Thank you; I've been out of the US for a while and forgotten about the WAM/CAMs.

8. Seattlite86

Haha, at the chance of getting to a 17% return on the investment and error coins, I couldn't help myself. I may end up regretting the purchase. Time will tell :)

9. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

How many pennies are there in 175 pounds? How much time would be needed to cull the wheaties?

10. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Hmm. Pre-1982 cents are supposed to weigh 3.11 grams.
    1,000 cents would weigh 6.856376 lbs.
    175 / 6.856376 = 25.52368773241141

25.52368773241141 * 10 = $255.24

So: 25,523...?

Is my math correct?

Seattlite86 likes this.
  11. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

If you have access to the u s postal system you can peel off the copper pre-1982 cents after you search. People are selling them on ebay in bulk. See listings for prices you can get. After you have checked them for keepers dump the zincs for cash.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  12. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Yes it is correct. There'd be about 31,000 zincolns.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  13. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

Wow, what a project! If I may ask out of curiosity, what does it cost to ship 175 lbs. of cents? And how are they shipped?

Seattlite86 likes this.
  14. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

[​IMG]

Or 31,751 if they are all post 1982.

(sorry, just watched Kelly's Heroes again, so don't take the snarky post personally ;))

eddiespin and Seattlite86 like this.
  15. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

What say you?[/QUOTE]
    Does nobody have a bank that takes coin deposit bags?
    3A72E7D0-FD56-4E1A-8B74-FC332C15D703.jpeg
    At Key Bank and US Bank they will take deposit bags with coins FOR DEPOSIT WITH NO FEE. It’s called a D E P O S I T. I have to wait for 3 days to have the money deposited on in my account but I don have to roll coins OR be a pest to the tellers. The branch weighs the bag and sends it in. One denomination per bag and full bags are what my banks require. Bags are cheap, $20 per dozen or less. Good luck.
    Reed

Important note here;
    This method doesn’t work if you need the money right away to buy more rolls so don’t be cheap and spend more money if your that guy of gal.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Stevearino and Seattlite86 like this.
  16. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

Lots of math there guys don’t hurt yourselves
    A83C67BD-D026-40A0-9B3F-4BB97EFB4820.jpeg

Seattlite86 likes this.
  17. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Let your young children help you - make a game of it - dump a pile of 1000 coins on a table or other suitable surface and let them separate the shields and wheats from the memorials - have them arrange the shield cents in groups of 50 (counting and multiplication practice), get a supply of penny wrappers from your local bank so they can make rolls - take them (the kids and rolls) to the bank, let them see the exchange process of penny rolls for paper money & treat them to ice cream or pizza with the 'new money' - let them keep the wheaties, buy them a collector album and they'll have a fun keepsake, if not a future hobby - you'll eventually get a smaller pile of memorial cents ready for further screening :)

Rheingold and Seattlite86 like this.
  18. Seattlite86

Great idea, but they're unfortunately a little early for that. Definitely something I will be doing down the road.

juris klavins likes this.
  19. Seattlite86

I appreciate the enthusiasm and desire to help others. I think you missed the part where I'm in a foreign country. I didn't over clarify that, so I can understand the confusion. Where I am, there's exactly one bank that will take US coins and they charge a 5% fee.

20. Seattlite86

Pretty darn close! I'm hoping that most of them are post 1982, which would simply mean more money.

21. Seattlite86

I do have that access. I'm not super keen on selling on eBay, or scrounging for so little cash, but if the bulk is pre 1982, I might just put more thought into it. Thank you for the suggestion.

harley bissell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted